What are these worth

B

bdock21

Audiophyte
I could use a little help I have a matched pair of DCM Time Window Seven tower speakers that I am selling but have no idea what they are worth?I bought them new and I have all paper work and serial # cards from DCM for the left and right these are in almost perfect shape I would rate them 0-100 about a 90 to 95 hardly ever used. Had a Harman Kardon AVR 70 pushing them that's only 70 watts on each channel these speakers are rated for 700 watts max.I am guessing that these are rare to fine because I can't find any for sale and my serial numbers are 657 and 658. thanks for any help!!!!

J

jamie2112

Banned
They go for a max of $100 used........craigslist ebay to look for yourself.Hope this helps

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, as crazy as it is- I think MSRP was around 2 grand a few moons ago, the street value just isn't much. However, their reputation has them being a pretty good speaker. Worth every bit of 600 in terms of SQ. Unless you just love em, you'd be crazy to not let them go for that. Honestly, 150 is probably a fair price...

danielbui

Audiophyte
I could use a little help I have a matched pair of DCM Time Window Seven tower speakers that I am selling but have no idea what they are worth?I bought them new and I have all paper work and serial # cards from DCM for the left and right these are in almost perfect shape I would rate them 0-100 about a 90 to 95 hardly ever used. Had a Harman Kardon AVR 70 pushing them that's only 70 watts on each channel these speakers are rated for 700 watts max.I am guessing that these are rare to fine because I can't find any for sale and my serial numbers are 657 and 658. thanks for any help!!!!
Hi,
I am setting my home theater sound system now, and really like to have a pair of Time Window 7 for my system.
I would like to offer you $1000 for the pair if you want to sell.
Sincerely. Daniel

B

bdock21

Audiophyte
That's fine when do you want to pick them up in Florida with cash.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The new DCM Timewindow speakers remind me of Sony's plug into Hi-Fi recently with their limited production ED line. They where nice looking, nice sounding, and expensive. Now they hardly fetch 1/10 of the original MSRP because no one seems to know about them. To top it off they are rare. I had a chance to get some of these Timewindow 7s from a local place for around $200 and I passed it up. I should have got them so I could sell them to danielbui here for $1000.:D

Edit: I had pegged the Timewindow 7 with what I thought was the more recent TFE series that did not fly so well. The Timewindow 7 was a top of the line speaker in it's day (70's?) There were only 200 pair produced making them extraordinarily rare and they are quite valuable. Collectors do look for these speakers. They are large and awkward speakers weighing in at 70 pounds and standing 4 foot tall they aren't your pappy's speakers.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ele/1702923069.html (I wonder if this is OP's listing.:D)

I wouldn't take $600 for them unless you needed the money. These suckers retailed for over 3k when new. If that sale is the OP's it sounds like he already knows more than we do.:D The Time Window 1a speakers commonly sell for $250-300 and they are a far more common speaker than the Time Window 7.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They go for a max of $100 used........craigslist ebay to look for yourself.Hope this helps
LOL, I was basing my assumption that these were the TFE series just by reading your post. I guess it was a good thing I decided to get curious.;)

B

bdock21

Audiophyte
thank you all for the input I sold these over the weekend for 850.00
I bought them new at circuit city in 1989 for 575.00 each.

Thanks again and yes that was my ad on craigslist

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
thank you all for the input I sold these over the weekend for 850.00
I bought them new at circuit city in 1989 for 575.00 each.

Thanks again and yes that was my ad on craigslist
I gathered it was since there was some similar wording. You hit $50 above what I thought your low point should be, congratulations.:D

R

Ronz0

Audiophyte
I have a nice matched pair of the DCM Time Window 1A series that is still cranking away beautifully.

Would love to find another pair, but that gets tricky unless one knows how well the prospective pair to be purchased has been respected. And then, of course, comes getting 'em from point A to point B when the original storage boxes have become even harder to find than the loudspeakers. Still, I'm open to the prospect of snagging a second pair.

But I digress.

I recently "recovered" mine, but not using the traditional black foam that I purchased to do the job over three years ago. The problem, you see, was that I wanted to take them downstairs and set them up in our living room. But there was a problem - - we have a cat with claws so recovering them with the standard foam material would have been ridiculous. No way was I going to expose the loudspeaker drivers to possible damage from a cat.

I ended up buying rolled wire mesh that has approximately a one quarter inch opening from ACE Hardware. I then trimmed the wire carefully to cover the speakers top to bottom, spray painted the wire black, rolled the wire carefully and tightly around each speaker, and attached the speakers to the wire in the back after having carefully measured the length.

I now have "cat proofed" DCM Time Windows that are eye-catching (would fit perfectly into those trendy downtown metro homes recycled from old warehouses that show the original brick work and the trendy duct work hanging from the ceiling, etc.).

Even nicer, there is no vibration from the wire mesh to interfere with the music quality.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a nice matched pair of the DCM Time Window 1A series that is still cranking away beautifully.

Would love to find another pair, but that gets tricky unless one knows how well the prospective pair to be purchased has been respected. And then, of course, comes getting 'em from point A to point B when the original storage boxes have become even harder to find than the loudspeakers. Still, I'm open to the prospect of snagging a second pair.

But I digress.

I recently "recovered" mine, but not using the traditional black foam that I purchased to do the job over three years ago. The problem, you see, was that I wanted to take them downstairs and set them up in our living room. But there was a problem - - we have a cat with claws so recovering them with the standard foam material would have been ridiculous. No way was I going to expose the loudspeaker drivers to possible damage from a cat.

I ended up buying rolled wire mesh that has approximately a one quarter inch opening from ACE Hardware. I then trimmed the wire carefully to cover the speakers top to bottom, spray painted the wire black, rolled the wire carefully and tightly around each speaker, and attached the speakers to the wire in the back after having carefully measured the length.

I now have "cat proofed" DCM Time Windows that are eye-catching (would fit perfectly into those trendy downtown metro homes recycled from old warehouses that show the original brick work and the trendy duct work hanging from the ceiling, etc.).

Even nicer, there is no vibration from the wire mesh to interfere with the music quality.
Would like to see some pictures from your current setup with the mesh!

R

Ronz0

Audiophyte
Would like to see some pictures from your current setup with the mesh!
...replying out of courtesy to request for pics, but the server can't handle the file size for either pic, so no upload :-( Perhaps I could email 'em direct to you but I also respect your right to privacy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
...replying out of courtesy to request for pics, but the server can't handle the file size for either pic, so no upload :-( Perhaps I could email 'em direct to you but I also respect your right to privacy.
You could 3rd party photo hosting services, like photobucket or imgur to upload photos and post links to them here (use bb-code links)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could also resize your photos or just change the file type to bring file size smaller. :)

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
The DCM Time Windows were such a classic speaker. What set it apart is the fact that they were transmission line loaded. There are few or none of transmission line speakers anymore. I believe there is a reason for that, but quality was not an issue. Transmission line speakers have a very elaborate internal design. The inside looks complicated. the rear energy of the driver wraps all around in a tunnel fashion. Internal wrap around- like path that the sound must travel thru. It comes out the back of the cabinet from a small opening. Here is the catch: placing the Time Window in your room is critical to it's sound. You cannot place it close to the rear wall. You will suffer from little or no low end sound. They must be away from the back wall by at least 1 foot (or more). You need to experiment with it's placement. There was another company which made phenominal Transmission line Speakers called Fried. He died a long time ago, and eventually they disappeared from the market. See picture below. The trapazoidal speaker is shown sitting on top of the Subwoofer. The trapazoidal shape got rid of standing waves inside the cabinet. The Fried cabinets were beautiful. It was a world class speaker system. Sound was off the charts. I miss them. When they were placed in your room correctly, you just couldn't beat them. They should be in the Speaker Hall of Fame.

Attachments

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The DCM Time Windows were such a classic speaker. What set it apart is the fact that they were transmission line loaded. There are few or none of transmission line speakers anymore. There was another company which made phenominal Transmission line Speakers called Fried. He died a long time ago, and eventually they disappeared from the market. See picture below. The trapazoidal speaker is shown sitting on top of the Subwoofer. The trapazoidal shape got rid of standing waves inside the cabinet. The Fried cabinets were beautiful. It was a world class speaker system. Sound was off the charts. I miss them. When they were placed in your room correctly, you just couldn't beat them. They should be in the Speaker Hall of Fame.
Just as a point of information, transmission line speakers are still alive and kicking, and they are much better optimized than the older models, thanks to precise modeling programs that weren't available then. Jim Salk sells a number of transmission line designs, and my Philharmonic 3 uses a folded TL. Jim Salk and I have also designed a TL that is sold under the Fried name by dealers. Jim acquired the rights to the Fried and the IMF name a few years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis