Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
System Audio is making some sensational speakers, here the new Pandion 50, which is on my "have to" audition list
A buddy of mine has the 1250s and 1750s. Sound is epic. I find it odd that I don't see or hear to much about them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Systems Audio isn't something I would consider to be classed as "consumer audio" if they have only 4 dealers in the US. Maybe that's why we don't hear too much buzz about them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The forum software limits show many choices any poll can have, omitting many more was unavoidable.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've not had the opportunity to listen to all the speakers in this poll therefore I cannot give an opinion.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
In the end it's completely subjective and doesn't really matter anyway.

Of the above list, not all of those manufacturers actually make their own drive units, so depending on one's definition, not all are necessarily eligible.

Also, are we referring to the present day, and if not, over what time period?

And pro or domestic?

And then there's the question of value for money Vs absolute performance, and aesthetics matters for many.

Probably the best speakers I've ever heard were a pair of Acapella Sphaeron Excalibur's, and they were undoubtedly the most expensive. Favourite speakers from the past include Duntech Sovereign's and Kef 107/2's, and favourite today is a toss up between B&W 800D3's and Wilson Audio Alexia, with Revel Salon2 not far behind.

Of the better known commercial brands today, I would include Kef, B&W, Revel, Focal, Dynaudio, Legacy, Thiel, Wilson Audio, as well as about 10 others, in a best-of list.

I'm an owner of B&W 800 series but I'm not brand biased by any means. I've previously owned Kef and Infinity and still have an old pair of Infinity Renaissance in my store room.

D

DDBear

Audiophyte
When I saw that B&W is at the top of the vote results, I can understand why! I set up a 5.1 home theater system with 5 B&W CM1s hanging from the ceiling, and a floor sub. The CM1s are my favorite speakers ever!! I originally picked them out when I listened to a wall of high end speakers in a demo room and the smaller CM1s sounded better than many of the larger cabinets, of any brand. Also the white CM1s look beautiful without the grille.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-speaker-brands/ranker-shopping

B&W wins because it's been around for a long time and has never sold cheap and nasty products.

B&W has never tried to make the world's best speaker but they do attempt to make the best within sensible limits of price. They achieve this while also catering for >90% of the market.

Over the years they've placed engineering ahead of marketing, with the philosophy that a good quality product will sell itself, although their recent foray into diamond tweeters is arguably a marketing strategy.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL...and Bose gets ranked ahead of many I'd take first.

Try using the tabs to sort rankings on that site by men, women, age, and region. It gets curious.

This poll is skewed too, as it excludes a couple well-known brands and adds some very small companies. It's nothing more than fodder for discussion, not a scientific collection of facts.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
It just confirms what I knew already.

People under 30 don't care too much about quality.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-speaker-brands/ranker-shopping

B&W wins because it's been around for a long time and has never sold cheap and nasty products.

B&W has never tried to make the world's best speaker but they do attempt to make the best within sensible limits of price. They achieve this while also catering for >90% of the market.

Over the years they've placed engineering ahead of marketing, with the philosophy that a good quality product will sell itself, although their recent foray into diamond tweeters is arguably a marketing strategy.
I also think the high-end B&Ws (800, 802) have some of the best fit and finish in the industry. They make the Revel Ultima2s look like they were made in a high school shop class by comparison.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It just confirms what I knew already.

People under 30 don't care too much about quality.
There's some exceptions, and some qualifications. My 27 year old son would own better than his KEF Q500/Q200c/Q800ds/Q300 setup if he could afford it, becoming a homeowner put the kibosh on that.

What pains me more are the over-50 college educated rolling up to Walmart in their $60,000 F350 pickup truck to by a $78.00 Vizio soundbar...because the $150.00 Samsung was too much money.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
What pains me more are the over-50 college educated rolling up to Walmart in their $60,000 F350 pickup truck to by a $78.00 Vizio soundbar...because the $150.00 Samsung was too much money.
I think they buy end-of-model-year discounts at 48 months but even then, with $1000/month payments, they can't afford much else! :eek:

Wharfedale consistently makes good speakers at all price levels.

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
In no particular order I would put them in groups...
B&W (High end, anything below $1500 a pair ive heard is junk, last five years)
Martin Logan (Both their coated metal cone speakers and electrostats are decent)
Paradigm (High end paradigms)
Harman (High end revels)
Klipsch ( High end, fortes etc.)

everything else not to familiar but would say qualifies as midfi and below.

Mika

Mika

Audiophyte
"Best" is subjective. What's best for you may not be best for others. Speaker models and brands each have different flavors that are best suited to various rooms. So really...by asking what brand is the best, you are asking 'what brand do you prefer.' I prefer Harman, Polk, Bowers and Wilkins, Paradigm...but all the ones listed are good. The very best 'brand' in my opinion is not a brand, but DIY! DIY is the best because when you have accurately measured your listening space and understand room modes, you can then design a speaker based on your individual room. Custom designed speakers that are tailor made for your space. If done competently, IMHO, they are the best.

Dave Blount

Dave Blount

Junior Audioholic
They make the Revel Ultima2s look like they were made in a high school shop class by comparison.
Now ..... now, it's not nice to pick on our neighbors to the south (Mexico) , LOL !

The survey really needs to be updated for a lot of the top tier brands are not represented .......Wilson, Magico, YG, to name but a few .......

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Now ..... now, it's not nice to pick on our neighbors to the south (Mexico) , LOL !
My Salon2s were made in Northridge, CA, before production was moved. I've seen a recent pair in my finish (black), and I think the quality of the newer pair was better.

Dave Blount

Dave Blount

Junior Audioholic
My Salon2s were made in Northridge, CA, before production was moved. I've seen a recent pair in my finish (black), and I think the quality of the newer pair was better.
interesting ...........my Studio 2's (last years production) were assembled in Mexico and I feel the fit and finish is superb !

D

Dustin melvin

Audiophyte
We'd like to get your opinion on who you feel makes the best built and best sounding loudspeakers in consumer audio. Your opinion should be based primarily on sound quality followed by build quality and durability. This choice should be based on the overall product line of a particular company and not just one or two products that may excel.

If you find a particular brand on this list lacking, please indicate why.

Give us reasons why you chose a particular brand or why you feel that particular brand shines above the others on this list. If your brand isn't listed here (sorry only 10 polling options allowed), please post the brand name in the thread along with your experiences.
I have the polk tsi 500 tower speakers they sound great for 600.00 paired up with paradym pdr 80 subwoofers very good anybody have input my set up?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis