lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of 49er ownership, there's a huge problem there ever since Eddie D left...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It flew over my head, explain to me like I'm 5 years old.
He said kids should use parents, teachers, friends and others as their role models and that, while being a pro athlete or big time entertainer is great, the percentage of people who attain that level is extremely small, so it's important to get the education and skills to be able to have a good life in case those dreams don't work out. He wasn't trying to discourage, he just wanted people to be realistic with their expectations. He, Jim Brown and Cosby were going around and speaking to groups about how to make positive life-changing decisions as a Black kid and although Cosby has turned out to be less of a good example, the advice has been largely ignored even though it was received enthusiastically at the time.

He said ""I'm not paid to be a role model. I'm paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court." and Karl Malone's response was "Charles...I don't think it's your decision to make. We don't choose to be role models, we are chosen. Our only choice is whether to be a good role model or a bad one.". Sports and entertainment are filled with people who are great at what they do, but not particularly good as role models. Barkley's comments weren't taken well at the time and he had to explain them many times after but the point was made as a way to get people to make better choices.

http://www.newsweek.com/im-not-role-model-193808

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
His action doesn't change the situation, and doesn't really get his desired effect of drawing attention to the (debatable) issue. Rather, it draws far more attention to the fact that he's alone or one of a couple (I'm sure someone will join him) who is sitting while everyone else is respectfully standing. Few will discuss at any length why, fewer still will do a damned thing about it.

As has been said it puts his teammates in a tough position they didn't ask for and therefore disruptive to TEAM, something essential to their success. If they all sat with him it would be different, it would show they're "all together in this." But I can't see that happening because not many want to get into the fray that doesn't seem to have a timeline for when it will end. There's no lightswitch quick solution.

I wish the team luck in getting through this. I don't care one whit about him.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wish the team luck in getting through this. I don't care one whit about him.
I personally don't wish his team any luck. I hope they finish last in their division. I was glad when they fired the best coach they've had in years.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And the cowboys can't wear a solidarity sticker on their helmets for the slain cops in Dallas. Chris Rock was right he corrected the acronym for the nfl. If I went to work, sought to disrupt the job do I could draw attention to a "cause" , id get fired.

Here's a pic of him in his practice socks.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe he'll get on ESPN. They're kinda lefty. Or maybe dancing with the stars.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have no idea what's on the sock at practice. Can someone with better eyes explain it for me?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What an inconsiderate jerk. Who is he going to depend upon if he crashes his Escalade on the way home to his house that's getting burglarized? Who's going to get called when his sister is accosted?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surprise the 49ers win....anyways....despite political bs.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
First let me say that I know next to nothing about professional sports. It's not something that's on my radar of concerns. It's significance to others is a bit befuddling to me, but then again my appreciation for movies and videogames is befuddling to my grandfather. He thinks it's a waste of time and ultimately has a negative impact on people's perception of reality (for all I know he's right), but he also enjoys professional sports ranging from football, basketball, and racing. However I don't pay much attention to actor's political viewpoints. It's partly bias and partly that most of them have no concept of what the real world is like.

Now for the biased opinion. Clint Eastwood, he's very conservative and I agree with most of what he says. He seems like he genuinely cares about America and at least understands what he stands for. The guy seems to live in the real world.

Unrelated to the above, this quote:

Charles Barkley said athletes shouldn't be role models and people almost wanted him dead- his point flew over their heads.
The "people almost wanted him dead" part was the part that confused me. I thought that some sort of hyperbole that was making light of something as it related to the first part of the comment, hence my confusion. I understood what he meant about athletes not being role models. To me that's common sense. Being a professional athlete does not a scholar make.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, John Urchel who plays for the Ravens, is pursuing his Ph.D. in math at MIT. I understand he got 4 A's in his first semester. So he's one hell of a scholar.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, John Urchel who plays for the Ravens, is pursuing his Ph.D. in math at MIT. I understand he got 4 A's in his first semester. So he's one hell of a scholar.
You understand what I meant though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's because it was a preseason game. I'd not expect a lot of winning from them this season.
Yep, wouldn't surprise me if they have a sub-.500 year. I was lucky to have had season tickets for their best years, it's mostly been frustrating since Eddie D was forced out.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It seems the cops have rights too...

"In a letter obtained by KNTV, the Santa Clara police union told the 49ers organization that officers wouldn’t work at the stadium if it doesn’t “take action” against Kaepernick over his protest. The station noted that about 70 Santa Clara police officers work eight home games per year.

"The board of directors of the Santa Clara Police Officer's Association has a duty to protect its members and work to make all of their workings environments free of harassing behavior,” the letter added."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis