B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
So i've been using EAC to rip my CD collection, worked quite well for about the first 25 discs, but in the last day or so I get a situation where the first track or two of the CD rip fine and the rest of the files don't actually play any music, it's just dead air when you try and play them. Has anyone else come across this? Any possible solutions/settings?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might delete and reinstall the software. Haven't run into that issue myself (ripped 1000 cds with it, although haven't played them all back yet). What does the report at the end say as to % accuracy of rip?

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
I'm gonna try reinstalling when I get in. From what I recall I usually get some type of timing error. It's only strange to me because it worked great for about 25 CD's before I started having problems.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might make sure drivers are up to date for your cd drive, too....

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Does this happen with multiple cds or a specific album?

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Was on multiple CDs but turned out to be a driver issue and I got it all sorted out.

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
Seeing as this is titled "EAC Problems", I'll add a problem of my own.
I'm relatively new to EAC but have ripped possibly around 100 CDs. I have some CDs that report errors on the last few tracks. One of these is clearly scratched but plays some of these tracks fine but dead airs or freezes on others. I tried polishing to no avail so I ended up buying a replacement disc (new). The new disc also gives synch and read errors on the exact same tracks as the damaged one. However all tracks play just fine using the same drive I use for ripping. Also I found that 2 tracks will eventually rip successfully in under and hr if left to run. The log reports errors but the resulting file plays just fine with no audible defects. So I left the next track rip to running, it's been something like 14 hr I guess and it's at 76.1% and still progressing ever so slowly.

The thing is, the rip just keeps getting slower and slower. I suspect the pressing may contain insignificant master file errors (is that possible?). The thing is, as I know it plays fine, I really think there should be a way to get a result without resorting to WMP ripping.

Advice please?

Ken

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
It's good to hear that this has happened to other people besides myself at one time. I have stopped using EAC to rip my cd's. Don't get me wrong I don't take any pleasure with people having EAC ripping issues. I feel ur pain as they say. But it is the main reason I stopped using it and went back to using dB PowerAmp. I can only remember one incident in the last 8 years where dB PowerAmp failed and that was because the cd, from a friend, was pretty beat up, mainly scratches. Gave the cd a bath with a soft cloth, a minute amount of dish soap & lukewarm water, making sure I went against the grain of the tracks on the cd and Voila!, it ripped as easy as pie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm relatively new to EAC but have ripped possibly around 100 CDs. I have some CDs that report errors on the last few tracks. One of these is clearly scratched but plays some of these tracks fine but dead airs or freezes on others. I tried polishing to no avail so I ended up buying a replacement disc (new). The new disc also gives synch and read errors on the exact same tracks as the damaged one. However all tracks play just fine using the same drive I use for ripping. Also I found that 2 tracks will eventually rip successfully in under and hr if left to run. The log reports errors but the resulting file plays just fine with no audible defects. So I left the next track rip to running, it's been something like 14 hr I guess and it's at 76.1% and still progressing ever so slowly.

The thing is, the rip just keeps getting slower and slower. I suspect the pressing may contain insignificant master file errors (is that possible?). The thing is, as I know it plays fine, I really think there should be a way to get a result without resorting to WMP ripping.

Advice please?

Ken
What's the error recovery quality level?

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

Tracks 1-9 ripped without reporting errors track quality 100%-99.9%
Tracks 10-11 reported synch and read errors track quality 98.8% & 98.1 %
Tracks 12 & 13 didn't rip within 24 hr so produced no log file (track quality unknown)
These tracks play just fine straight from the CD.

Track 10
Suspicious position 0:01:36
Peak level 100.0 %
Extraction speed 0.7 X
Track quality 98.8 %
Test CRC FAD5D4AC
Copy CRC 5EE8B4C4
Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 2) [203F3D0C], AccurateRip returned [EECED16B] (AR v2)
Copy finished

Track 11
Suspicious position 0:01:31
Suspicious position 0:03:17
Suspicious position 0:03:32
Peak level 99.1 %
Extraction speed 0.5 X
Track quality 98.1 %
Test CRC C849822D
Copy CRC 8DD8C95E
Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 2) [EBF9E722], AccurateRip returned [16A3A6D9] (AR v2)
Copy finished

I listened to that position in track 10 again and I think its just a splice.

Ken

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Advice please?

Ken
I used EAC to rip my entire library of 300+cd's a few months back. I stopped using the secure method because it would take too long on even very slight defects. I ended up settling on using burst mode for most of my discs. If it came up with an error that was audible I would then let it try to fix it in a secure mode rip. This ended up being the fastest way for me to get through my library and I've not noticed any issues with audible artifacts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

Tracks 1-9 ripped without reporting errors track quality 100%-99.9%
Tracks 10-11 reported synch and read errors track quality 98.8% & 98.1 %
Tracks 12 & 13 didn't rip within 24 hr so produced no log file (track quality unknown)
These tracks play just fine straight from the CD.

Track 10
Suspicious position 0:01:36
Peak level 100.0 %
Extraction speed 0.7 X
Track quality 98.8 %
Test CRC FAD5D4AC
Copy CRC 5EE8B4C4
Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 2) [203F3D0C], AccurateRip returned [EECED16B] (AR v2)
Copy finished

Track 11
Suspicious position 0:01:31
Suspicious position 0:03:17
Suspicious position 0:03:32
Peak level 99.1 %
Extraction speed 0.5 X
Track quality 98.1 %
Test CRC C849822D
Copy CRC 8DD8C95E
Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 2) [EBF9E722], AccurateRip returned [16A3A6D9] (AR v2)
Copy finished

I listened to that position in track 10 again and I think its just a splice.

Ken
I was asking what your specific settings for operation in terms of error quality level were, not the results. The higher the level, the more issues for what may be inaudible issues.

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
Error recovery quality is medium, is that is what you meant?
I'll try low and burst if that doesn't work.

Ken

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
This is driving me nuts.
I set quality to low to no effect.

Then tried burst mode which reported timing errors but did complete 1 track rip within an hour.
The files, wav and flac were corrupt with audible clicks jumps forward and backwards (gaps and repeats). These errors seemed to pollute the drive cache as playing the CD gave the same audible clicks but I got a perfect clean play after opening and closing the drive. Presumably the cache cleared.

Next I tried fast mode which reported synch rather then timing errors. The same type of audible problems occurred in both the ripped file and drive cache though somewhat less frequent. opening and closing the drive again cleared the drive cache and gave a perfect clean play for the whole track.

So it seems to me that EAC is generating problems that are not present on the CD. I suppose I must have a setting wrong somewhere but what? Being new to EAC I just let the install wizard do it's own thing but later, I did check the C2 box in secure mode as the EAC test indicated the drive to be C2 compliant but this should not affect burst and fast modes. I could try paranoid mode to disable the drive cache.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Ken.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is driving me nuts.
I set quality to low to no effect.

Then tried burst mode which reported timing errors but did complete 1 track rip within an hour.
The files, wav and flac were corrupt with audible clicks jumps forward and backwards (gaps and repeats). These errors seemed to pollute the drive cache as playing the CD gave the same audible clicks but I got a perfect clean play after opening and closing the drive. Presumably the cache cleared.

Next I tried fast mode which reported synch rather then timing errors. The same type of audible problems occurred in both the ripped file and drive cache though somewhat less frequent. opening and closing the drive again cleared the drive cache and gave a perfect clean play for the whole track.

So it seems to me that EAC is generating problems that are not present on the CD. I suppose I must have a setting wrong somewhere but what? Being new to EAC I just let the install wizard do it's own thing but later, I did check the C2 box in secure mode as the EAC test indicated the drive to be C2 compliant but this should not affect burst and fast modes. I could try paranoid mode to disable the drive cache.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Ken.
I never had any issues with EAC but with a few damaged discs....maybe simply uninstall it and reinstall it....or just find another ripper.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I still use dbpa and eac for the rip. Use traders little helper http://tlh.easytree.org for batch conversions and SBFs and as a front-end for both. Also works well for HDFLAC down conversion for cars.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis