Want to replace vintage The New Advents large

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
What midrange the large Advents had seemed to decrease with each reconning. New tweeters didn't help - I never thought about new caps! I replaced them with some 12" woofer 3-ways, with L-pads on the tweeter & midrange (...except for the typical bass hangover from their 'loose' bass reflex design!) - decent sounding for RS speakers. Odd how much better the bass reflex designs of my more modern speakers, namely my Infinity Primus and Klipsch speakers, is today. I feel that you are correct re the NHT SuperOnes vs the large Advents - the smaller & newer NHT's would likely put the old Advents to shame.

Swerd, I see you have an AR XA turntable - does it have it's original tone arm or did you replace it? I bought my AR amp and turntable from the store I worked in 12/68 at 40% off - joined the USN before I could order a pair of AR-2aX's. I still have the turntable - but no vinyl!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Swerd, I see you have an AR XA turntable - does it have it's original tone arm or did you replace it? I bought my AR amp and turntable from the store I worked in 12/68 at 40% off - joined the USN before I could order a pair of AR-2aX's. I still have the turntable - but no vinyl!
The turntable is as it was the day I first got it in 1972, except for some new belts, a new rubber pad on the platter, and a new cartridge. I hardly ever use it.
What midrange the large Advents had seemed to decrease with each reconning. New tweeters didn't help - I never thought about new caps!
For the most part, replacing caps on speaker crossovers does little if anything. In rare cases if very old electrolytic caps actually dried and stopped functioning, it would make a difference. But replacing crossover caps to improve old speakers is largely one of those widely repeated myths.

What really makes a difference in audio is new speakers :D. I recently did that with new Salk Veracity ST speakers. They have replaced my old Salk SongTowers. I really should fix my signature line.

Last edited:
T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
What about the JBL studio 230s for an under $500 option?
Any opinions?

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Ending up scoring an Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 on evil bay for $100. Listening to Miles and George Coleman on them, with the NAD stuff, right now, and am impressed. Of course not the same bass as Advents, but still very nice. Definitely worth $100 for an introduction to Ascend products--a brand I never heard of, until this thread. I'll have fun with these for awhile, Im sure

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis