Tired of Crappy Support by Cable Providers, cutting the cord!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I called Time Warner about a commercial job and was told that they don't allow users or IT people to change the settings in their routers, but they do allow it for residential. I had tried logging in using the user ID and password on the gateway, but it didn't let me in and this is what prompted my first call to tech support. The first guy I spoke with today kept telling me he could set the modem to Bridge mode, which is just plain wrong- routers are set to Bridge and I told him that I wanted it to remain a router (which it wouldn't, if it was set to Bridge Mode) and that I needed to open a couple of ports so the owners of the building could view the security camera feed when they aren't on site but he just didn't seem to understand. I thanked him for his time and called back, in an attempt to reach someone who knows how to do this and was told it isn't allowed, so I called the Sales Engineer whose name I got from a business class rep. He told me the same thing, but then suggested that I google search for the name of the gateway and add 'login password' because he isn't supposed to tell anyone. I did that, found similar info on several links and none worked. I tried the info on the bottom and got in- I might not have paid attention to upper/lower case or used that exact combination but opening the ports AND logging into the DVR on my laptop & cell phone took about a minute, in total.

These providers need to realize how much time they waste for callers- if I'm on the clock, I don't need five people asking the same questions, blathering on about crap that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue and they need to LISTEN.
I went on line to see if I could get an IP for my arris 6190. One web site had a whole bunch for it and some other devices.
It worked for mine. I was able to get into one of my previous ones. Some things I guess is controlled by Comcast, but I have 24 Ch down and 4 up a chart for performance status and 4 other tabs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I went on line to see if I could get an IP for my arris 6190. One web site had a whole bunch for it and some other devices.
It worked for mine. I was able to get into one of my previous ones. Some things I guess is controlled by Comcast, but I have 24 Ch down and 4 up a chart for performance status and 4 other tabs.
The manufacturers of the equipment make the pieces do many things but the cable and IP companies have software that may limit the capabilities, which can make life very difficult for custom integrators and end users. A prime example is Time Warner's disabling of the discrete power commands. This might seem like small issue, but if the user has an AV system with many pieces of equipment and they want to use a universal remote or app-based control system, the power state can go out of synch and the cable box will be on or off when it should be in the opposite state, at some point. When the cable box is located with the rest of the equipment in a rack that's remotely located, this can be a problem and it needs a work-around. If the power commands are discrete, the power state is never wrong unless the command just can't reach the cable box. ATT should use discretes too, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The bottom line- when a provider is the only game in town, they don't really have to care if they make people happy- they just keep advertising to get new customers because they know the other providers don't make people happy, so they're willing to change. It's a pathetic sign of how far customer service has fallen.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I got suckered into DirectTV with them. We have had uverse for years and each year when the contract is up and they raise the price I just call, threaten to leave and they work out a deal for me. This year they wouldn't budge unless I went with Direct so I did.

It has been horrible. I have audio drops every few seconds with DD and the only way to prevent is to use PCM.

The picture drops out if a cloud even passes by and my new "top of the line" modem/router won't even reach to the backyard. The old cheap one had no issues. Plus the faster speed seems way slower.

I am at a point where I may just eat the early term fee and get something else.

When I call for service they are slow and useless and nothing ever improves. At least most of the installers will talk bad about ATT while they are in your house.
I've had Charter for a while and rarely have issues. They really cleaned up their act a few years ago and their internet seems to be the best in the area. Plus I normally get excellent service.

Audio dropouts could be caused by handshake issues too. I've had that problem before with cable boxes.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I cut the cord several years ago. By me you're either stuck with Comcast or Centurylink for cable and satellite. They're both bad medicine. Unfortunately, they're the only two internet providers in the area. It sucks having a duopoly.... they both plane suck and know you're stuck with one of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis