No Man's sky "official" thread

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So release is set for June 22nd for PCs and ps4
I am rarely getting that giddigy about video game, but this one sort of makes all right noises to me.
Just google the title - how many other upcoming video games made by tiny "Indie" studio 12 people in UK which pervious achivement is one small mobile game, generated 3 million results and interest from Colbert, Elon Musk, Stephen Spielberg and even Kanye West :)

Is anyone else is excited about it as I do? I haven't bought PC game in last 20 years or so (well, except subscription to Eve online, but it was also over 10 year ago)

B

BrianT

Enthusiast
I really cannot wait to get my hands on this game!!!!!!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Been playing it for a few weeks. Pretty interesting game.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was going to pick it up, but after reading about all the issues and dissatisfaction by owners, I decided to pass. Apparently it has gotten so bad that Sony and Amazon are even offering refunds on digital downloads.

For those that have played it, what is your take?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From the reviews few things seems very clear:
a) Sean clearly over promised and under delivered on few key items (like multiplayer)
b) Game is too easy and way to repetitive
c) Ending sucks
d) In the end it's still a "small" indie game with way too high price tag. Most people won't complain if price was $30, not $60 which is reserved typically for AAA titles.
e) Game might evolve eventually to become everything promised but would you like to be it's beta tester and pay AAA price for the privilege?
just look at patch notes: sheer amount of changes reinforces my previous point:
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/news/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah price is the issue. This game should have been a download for like $20-30. I got it at a discounted price and I actually enjoy it. This game was created by 15 people on a small budget, so I appreciate what they actually achieved, but not having a multi-million dollar budget shows in the repetitiveness and the graphics issues. I have had collision issues where I "fell" through the planet's surface and "drowned". I have found items either floating or sticking out sideways from things, which is kind of entertaining. Some items simply appear out of nowhere or show up on your radar but can't be found or disappear.

What I like about it ironically, is little to no combat. It is a pretty low stress game that lets you do whatever you want at your own pace and sometimes that is good too. It is oddly relaxing and satisfying to just explore. It is primarily exploration and research, but after a few planets, aside from a new look for everything and different hazards (temp, radiation, toxins, water, etc...) it all starts to feel very much the same. It is all a variation of the same thing, yet I still find it interesting at this point. I can see that unless they start to release some new content for it, it will get old. They are releasing patches sometimes a few a week, so yes there are a lot.

I have died a few times. There are no instructions on what you are to do or how, so you are figuring it all out, not unlike Don't Starve. At the beginning, it is difficult to find what you need because you are on foot, so if what you need isn't near, you'll be running around. Once your ship is repaired and you can fly, things become much easier. I have died more from hazards and accidents than by creatures, though I have been killed by creatures / drones too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis