This may be my next cell phone

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Most of my phones have been LG. What is the price?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm on second LG G4, after first just died after only 8 months. I never rooted, hacked, dropped or abused it in any way. Carefully used only with protective case.

@Cos - don't get stuck looking only for features (especially meaningless as DAC).
I chose LG G4 over Nexus 6 for exceptional camera, but tbh - I rather have long term supported device which get monthly security updates over some fancy feature.
Aka - wait for next Nexus device or get current Nexus 6P - it's very nice.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I'm on second LG G4, after first just died after only 8 months. I never rooted, hacked, dropped or abused it in any way. Carefully used only with protective case.

@Cos - don't get stuck looking only for features (especially meaningless as DAC).
I choice LG G4 over Nexus 6 for prior exceptional camera, but tbh - I rather have long term supported device which get monthly security updates over some fancy feature.
Aka - wait for next Nexus device or get current Nexus 6P - it's very nice.
I currently have the Edge 7 for my personal phone. I also have a work phone that is provided every 2 years, they pay for whatever phone I choose. Since I absolutely love the Edge 7, I thought that the retina login and larger screen of the Note 7 would be the best choice.

1. I actually use the edge features and have set up my stocks and friends lists
2. The new Note 7 is supposed to have the highest rated screen ever tested by
displaymate
3. I actually used the pen when I had my note 4, so it does come in handy when I f
forget pens, which I often do

That being said, I use my current headset in Bluetooth mode mostly, so will probably stick with the note 7

On a side note, I had the LG G3 and It was a great phone for as long as I had it

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Never had any bad phones from LG. Have mostly had Samsungs of late though and have been pretty happy with them. My Edge 6 was great until the edge became the liability. I used and liked the edge features too. Now have a "normal" S7 and am extremely pleased.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Still on an LG G2 here. It is rooted and running Cyanogenmod. But the day Marlin and Sailfish (the 2016 Nexus phones) launch, I'm getting whichever is the 5.5 inch one and switching my carrier to Project Fi.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Still on an LG G2 here. It is rooted and running Cyanogenmod. But the day Marlin and Sailfish (the 2016 Nexus phones) launch, I'm getting whichever is the 5.5 inch one and switching my carrier to Project Fi.
Amen brother. 6P and 5X were released almost year ago in sept. Not a whole lot longer till next one should be released.
I felt for the glitter of better camera, but after Stagefright anyone would be fool getting any other Android based phone other than Nexus one. My wife's Nexus 5 (not x) is still rocking, it's super smooth and fast on marshmallow

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Amen brother. 6P and 5X were released almost year ago in sept. Not a whole lot longer till next one should be released.
I felt for the glitter of better camera, but after Stagefright anyone would be fool getting any other Android based phone other than Nexus one. My wife's Nexus 5 (not x) is still rocking, it's super smooth and fast on marshmallow
I'm not terribly concerned about Stagefright. I have my messaging app configured to prompt to confirm downloading MMS messages. While it's still possible I could be tricked into downloading something infectious from someone I trust if that person's phone has been compromised, the risk is at least reduced; and I can safely delete MMS messages from people who I reckon have no reason to message me.

I want a Nexus because no carrier bloatware, and because I trust Google's updates more than I trust Verizon's. I wouldn't trust new Windows builds developed by Comcast either. Guess I'm just funny that way. Why does no one question this?

But it seems like the initial image on any carrier-branded mobile phone is rock-solid stable and polished as can be; whereas a year later as soon as a mandatory OTA update is installed, the phone starts freezing, calls start dropping occasionally, apps start crashing, and I'm basically tied into a beta until the next phone purchase. Or my wife is, anyway. I always root and install 3rd party firmware on my own gadgets, so that doesn't really happen to me. Still, as the resident geek of the family, I have to hear about it. Maybe it's just my tinfoil hat talking, but I suspect the instability is a way for Verizon to push phone sales. I mean, who buys a new computer every 2 years? And with that in mind, why is buying a new phone every 2 years considered normal -- and indeed, expected?

But these days, rooting and custom ROMs I gather are fraught with ever more peril. A friend of mine who owns a mobile phone shop tells me that by installing a custom ROM, a provider-pushed OTA update could put me into a reboot loop. My current phone is old enough that my carrier will no longer release updates for it, but I should be conscious of such things from my next phone forward.

So, it's Nexus for me, and my updates will come straight from Google and will install more safely from now on.

Last edited:
T

Tao1

Audioholic
I hear the V20 will be good, but I doubt we will get it in Canada, since we didn't get the V10.

LG seems to have the high end audio market locked up for smart phones....but then they don't. The G5 modular phone has a 32bit DAC add on....which isn't available in North America. The V10 wasn't available in some places. They then complain about sluggish sales...

But yeah, after lots of looking for a phone which would serve well as a portable music player I found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile

Personally, I will be going with the ZTE Axon 7 with a 32bit DAC. It is only 'audiophile' phone available in Canada. It has Dolby Atmos too which is also fairly humourous considering how much band wagon jumping the industry has done with that :p

I would go with the V20, but considering LGs contempt (for lack of a better word) for Canada, I am not waiting a few months just to see if it will be available here.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Changed my mind about Project Fi. My wife signed up for it a few months ago. We were hoping its ability to call over wifi would be a worthwhile solution to her not having signal in her office at work. Unfortunately, Project Fi has failed her audition. She gets lots of dropped calls and complaints that she sounds like she's talking in a shoebox. Service might be better in other locations, just not in our city. I wonder whether Sprint and T-Mobile are deliberately prioritizing their direct subscribers over subscribers of piggyback providers like Project Fi, Net10, Boost Mobile, and others? Well, in any case, looks like I'll be sticking with Verizon, and my wife will be rejoining me. But I still want to pick up a 2016 Nexus. Latest rumor I've read says it'll be out some time in October.

B

BrianT

Enthusiast
And why might this be your next phone? :) due to price/tech?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Jeez. My LG G4 crapped out for now reason few months ago and now my wife's Nexus 5 (built by LG) is crapping out.
I did full factory reset and re imaged it, but still wifi doesn't work and any attempts to enable it send phone into few hours loop cycle.

I swear - If I ever buy another LG product - please just shoot me.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
And why might this be your next phone? :) due to price/tech?
It was going to be my next cell phone due to audio quality, but I went with the note 7. Now that the Note 7 has the potential to be a portable explosive device :eek:, I watched the V20 Launch video, and will probably go with it.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Well now as an LG V20 owner i did a listen test with my Momentum 2 via 3.5mm jack.

I didnt think a better DAC would make that much a difference on a phone, i was 100% wrong.

I compared vs my Iphone 7 plus via their adapter. The difference was very noticable.

With spotify on both phones switching back and forth, the V20 was louder, more dynamic and detailed. I know it is not the most scientific of tests, but you would have to be deaf not to notice. I will expand my review once i get home.

Last edited:
cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
I didnt think a better DAC would make that much a difference on a phone, i was 100% wrong.

With spotify on both phones switching back and forth, the V20 was louder, more dynamic and detailed. I know it is not the most scientific of tests, but you would have to be def not to notice. I will expand my review once i get home.
Of course, if it is louder, it will sound more dynamic and detailed. So that's most likely due to better headphone amp, not DAC.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Of course, if it is louder, it will sound more dynamic and detailed. So that's most likely due to better headphone amp, not DAC.
Which is why I turned the volume down more on the one V20, and I could still hear more detail when things were brought down to parity. I also turned up the volume on the iphone to match and it came up with the same result. They do not sound the same.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Although it has been found to be true that increased volume sounds 'better' to the average person, it does not necessarily mean that this is automatically the situation with the V20. I got an Axon 7 for the better dac, and it is definitely noticeably clearer. The proof I submit is that in a couple of songs I could now understand the lyrics that had otherwise been blending into the electric guitar and background instruments.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Although it has been found to be true that increased volume sounds 'better' to the average person, it does not necessarily mean that this is automatically the situation with the V20. I got an Axon 7 for the better dac, and it is definitely noticeably clearer. The proof I submit is that in a couple of songs I could now understand the lyrics that had otherwise been blending into the electric guitar and background instruments.
Very true and while I can understand Cel4145 skepticism, here are some more measurements and reviews that discuss the difference. I also don't necessarily agree that a louder sound does equates to a more dynamic and detailed.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pocketnow+v20+sound+review&view=detail&mid=A0CAF6DB13210BF4AD0FA0CAF6DB13210BF4AD0F&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Just read the opening post in this thread for the first time... So did you cancel your Note7 before or after it tried to kill you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis