Does optical digital audio out override HDMI?

D

Daniel Eggar

Audiophyte
I have several devices hooked up to my TV via HDMI; a Blu-Ray player, a Nintendo Wii U, a Playstation 4 and a Freeview TV box. If I buy a sound device i.e. a soundbar and plug it into the Optical Digital Audio Out port on my TV will this override the sound coming from all of the HDMI devices but still provide the sound from these devices?

M

Mr_MaGoo

Audiophyte
Hard to say not knowing what tv you have. Best way is by reading your manual for your tv.

Why do you want to use an optical cable for sound ?

I don't think your going to gain any better sound without using a home theater receiver and 5 to 9 speakers.

D

Daniel Eggar

Audiophyte
I have an LG475020 TV, I cant afford nor have the room for a full sound system. A sound bar is my only option right now. When I watch movies or play games the high bass makes my TV speakers rattle. I'm hoping that a soundbar will negate this and offer much better sound quality.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have several devices hooked up to my TV via HDMI; a Blu-Ray player, a Nintendo Wii U, a Playstation 4 and a Freeview TV box. If I buy a sound device i.e. a soundbar and plug it into the Optical Digital Audio Out port on my TV will this override the sound coming from all of the HDMI devices but still provide the sound from these devices?
It won't override anything and if it did, you wouldn't hear the sound from the source devices. The TV's optical output just provides a convenient single jack to use for sending the audio to the sound bar (you're looking at a powered sound bar, right?). Once the sound bar is connected, you'll want to turn the TV's speakers off.

Which sound bar are you looking at?

M

Mr_MaGoo

Audiophyte
A sound bar with sub will do you fine. After looking at your original question closer the sound out is just that an output for sound . It shouldn't kill the incoming sound from the hdmi inputs. Several of the sound bars that I looked at on lg's web site have both optical and Bluetooth connections for sound transmission.hooking it up shouldn't be a problem. The tv might sense the cable connection or you might have to make a change in settings.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an LG475020 TV, I cant afford nor have the room for a full sound system. A sound bar is my only option right now. When I watch movies or play games the high bass makes my TV speakers rattle. I'm hoping that a soundbar will negate this and offer much better sound quality.
Yes, a soundbar will be better than the tv speakers.
I have a Vizio soundbar with a wireless sub that is much needed. I have an optical cable to the soundbar.
While it has HDMI in, I doubt you will benefit from that and the soundbar speakers. I believe you will just have to go into the TV's menu for the audio portion to use the optical out.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
There really is no audible difference between HDMI Audio & Digital Optical Toslink. Your decision depends upon your equipment and what is more convenience for your system. Most people use HDMI switching out of their A/V Receiver (or processor). Some use the Digital Optical Output from your TV. This would be preferable if you don't have HDMI switching. Either works just fine.
Another point: With most Receivers, you can go into Setup and select HDMI Sound or Digital Optical under the Audio settings.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It does not automatically override, but on the receiver side you can choose to use a different audio input type for a given device and on most devices you can choose which to output audio via. So it will depend on the devices you have.

There really is no audible difference between HDMI Audio & Digital Optical Toslink. Your decision depends upon your equipment and what is more convenience for your system. Most people use HDMI switching out of their A/V Receiver (or processor). Some use the Digital Optical Output from your TV. This would be preferable if you don't have HDMI switching. Either works just fine.
Another point: With most Receivers, you can go into Setup and select HDMI Sound or Digital Optical under the Audio settings.
While there may be no sound difference, there IS a difference when it comes to the newer audio codecs (DTS-HD/X, DD TrueHD) because optical cannot pass them.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
There really is no audible difference between HDMI Audio & Digital Optical Toslink.
I'll try it out. Have already listened to Roger Waters "Amused To Death" CD, on blu-ray player via HDMI. Will try it next on a simple CD player via Toslink.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis