Subwoofer Placement

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
omg that would suck! haha

did a little more googling and there may actually be something to those bucket subs. you guys know much about them? anyone here ever listen to one? I'm no pro by any stretch, but I have some basic tools and some diy skills. some of these guys swear they sound like they cost 1000 bucks or more. for under 200?

*edit: found a spl test? ported bucket vs sealed bucket, and bucket vs dayton 1200. click

**edit: and just read the specs on the dayton... the bucket being better isn't a shock...

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Go ahead and make one then, wouldn't put much money are risk. I know in my house my wife is very accepting of my audio additions but that wouldn't quite pass.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I kinda figured. looks like unless I'm extremely lucky I'm not gonna get anything significantly better by budget buying. gonna be a tough sell for she who keeps my spending in check...

I'd really like to get two 12" subs. would one good 12" sub (to start, hsu or svs for example) outperform the two 10" I have?

I ask because I could sell what I have to generate some more funds for a newer purchase, but then I'd be committed.
All though I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Rythmik L12 yet, I to have the same 2 brands on the menu and Rythmik L12 was highly recommended, like I said I haven't listened to them yet but the support, advice, direction and knowledge here is why there part of my sub quest for September, www.rythmikaudio.com, check them out, you won't be disappointed with the reviews, hearing them is another chapter...and I understand when you have a self appointed official that's efficient in the area of keeping a eye o_O on spending...LOL

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
just set a max bid of 50 on a hsu vtf2 on ebay. i'll be keeping an eye on it, though I highly doubt I'll get it for anywhere near 50 bucks.

the bucket thing is kinda tempting, but I'm not spending 160 bucks on a bucket speaker when there are companies out there who research, live, eat and breathe subwoofers. surely if a bucket was best... somebody would already be making them or something like it and we'd all have buckets incorporated into our systems.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Never publically post something like that. Others here wanting it could easily outbid you. With 4 bidders already, I sincerely doubt you'll get it. I've been sniped enough times on eBay auctions that I rarely bid, mostly snipe.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Never publically post something like that. Others here wanting it could easily outbid you. With 4 bidders already, I sincerely doubt you'll get it. I've been sniped enough times on eBay auctions that I rarely bid, mostly snipe.
you know, good point. it didn't even occur to me I set myself up for a sniping, though I seriously doubt I'd end up with it anyway. I edited it out for posterity's sake. thanks for noob-sitting me. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hadn't seen the bucket ones before, interesting. If the bucket seems somewhat interesting there's always sonotube subs and many other diy projects....or you can order a pre-designed flatpack and simply assemble your first sub (check out diysoundgroup.com). This recent thread has a lot of good ideas, too http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/newbie-diy-sub-advice.104396/
I've been scouring the web and researching subs and diy stuff. I dredged up a few threads here, but haven't seen that one yet. thanks for the link.

I'm pretty okay with what I have, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I just have... that itch still, you know? if I can improve what I already have with a powerful, good for music, 12" sub for relatively low out of pocket cost (100-200 -ish), then great, but realistically I also know that's a tall order. lol. I can sell my wife on it a little easier by selling the 2 klipsch subs I have now and fund the rest. I'm assuming I can get at least 150 apiece for them.

where I find myself in a quandary is that I've not heard much of what's out there and am going pretty much on word of mouth and reviews. I'm not even sure if one 12" sub is going to do any better than the two 10's I'm using now.

diy is very doable for me. I have basic skills and tools, plus my neighbor is available if I happen to paint myself into a corner. he has better tools and know how. I ain't skeered of tackling a project.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been scouring the web and researching subs and diy stuff. I dredged up a few threads here, but haven't seen that one yet. thanks for the link.

I'm pretty okay with what I have, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I just have... that itch still, you know? if I can improve what I already have with a powerful, good for music, 12" sub for relatively low out of pocket cost (100-200 -ish), then great, but realistically I also know that's a tall order. lol. I can sell my wife on it a little easier by selling the 2 klipsch subs I have now and fund the rest. I'm assuming I can get at least 150 apiece for them.

where I find myself in a quandary is that I've not heard much of what's out there and am going pretty much on word of mouth and reviews. I'm not even sure if one 12" sub is going to do any better than the two 10's I'm using now.

diy is very doable for me. I have basic skills and tools, plus my neighbor is available if I happen to paint myself into a corner. he has better tools and know how. I ain't skeered of tackling a project.
I highly recommend diy, ain't no going back for me now. I've built 3 SI HT18D2 sealed subs, and have some more HT18D2s plus a few Infinity 1262Ws, waiting for another round of building. The diy value usually comes in with using an amp with multiple subs. Maybe you should check out this thread if thinking about 12s, but if you can do the size, I'd go bigger....

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
just set a max bid of 50 on a hsu vtf2 on ebay. i'll be keeping an eye on it, though I highly doubt I'll get it for anywhere near 50 bucks.

the bucket thing is kinda tempting, but I'm not spending 160 bucks on a bucket speaker when there are companies out there who research, live, eat and breathe subwoofers. surely if a bucket was best... somebody would already be making them or something like it and we'd all have buckets incorporated into our systems.
I've had success the 3 times I've bidded on eBay and it wouldn't be beneficial to you if I was to share what might give you a edge over the post but if you have a email, I'll be more than happy to share that information, it's not like it's some top secret formula but it's work for me...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis