2-channel speaker pairing

Ex-Newsie

Ex-Newsie

Audioholic Intern
Hi again, friends. As I'm readying to order my Yamaha 2-channel receiver and speakers (I was leaning toward Audioholics budget tower choice...Elac Debut F5) I see Klipsch is having a great anniversary sale. So I looked at the new Reference Premiere RP-250. Impressive...and with very good reviews. Here's my question...I will probably go without a subwoofer, at least to start. Of the two I've mentioned, which, in your opinion, would pair best with a receiver pushing 80-100 W per? The system will be used almost exclusively for vinyl, cd, and the remaining cassettes in my collection (don't be a hater!!). It'll reside in a connected living room/dining room area with ceramic tile floors.

As always, thanks in advance for your learned opinions.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi again, friends.
Hello, Which newsie are you? :D

As I'm readying to order my Yamaha 2-channel receiver and speakers (I was leaning toward Audioholics budget tower choice...Elac Debut F5) I see Klipsch is having a great anniversary sale.
Which Yamaha receiver are you going with? The trouble with ELAC is that I'm not sure where you would go to listen to them. Are you set on getting towers?

So I looked at the new Reference Premiere RP-250. Impressive...and with very good reviews.
Klipsch is an acquired taste. I find that waveguide and horn loaded speakers work better for small spaces and I don't find the Klipsch Reference series to be as harsh or excessively bright as others have stated.

Here's my question...I will probably go without a subwoofer, at least to start.
Many bookshelf speakers won't give you near full range sound without a subwoofer, so I understand you wanting to select a floor standing speaker.

Of the two I've mentioned, which, in your opinion, would pair best with a receiver pushing 80-100 W per?
Receiver's don't necessarily "push watts" so much as speakers demand power from the amplifier. The Klipsch are more efficient therefore if you enjoy listening louder without strain the Klipsch is probably a better choice between these two. If you listen at moderate levels for the most part something like the ELACs or the Philharmonic AA Monitors which actually give most towers a run for the money on low frequency extension, but you'll be limited on output because their rated efficiency is much lower than the ELACs or the Klipsch.

The system will be used almost exclusively for vinyl, cd, and the remaining cassettes in my collection (don't be a hater!!). It'll reside in a connected living room/dining room area with ceramic tile floors.
Because of the reflective floor surface I'd suggest the the more point source variety of speakers such as Klipsch.

As always, thanks in advance for your learned opinions.
Well put, these are our opinions. The best thing we can recommend is that you go out and listen to as many speakers in your budget as you can and make informed decisions based on your personal experience.

Gregory Seeton

Gregory Seeton

Audiophyte
I would think that receiver would be find for those speakers don't know if the speakers are 8 ohms or 6 ohms Yamaha receiver that you're talking about which I did some research on is 80 watts per Channel hundred Watts Peak so you gotta consider too Channel stereo mode will be driving a hundred. 25-watt speakers with 80 Watts on each side should be fine but I would not push him too hard with that receiver

Gregory Seeton

Gregory Seeton

Audiophyte
I would think that receiver would be find for those speakers don't know if the speakers are 8 ohms or 6 ohms Yamaha receiver that you're talking about which I did some research on is 80 watts per Channel hundred Watts Peak so you gotta consider too Channel stereo mode will be driving a hundred. 25-watt speakers with 80 Watts on each side should be fine but I would not push him too hard Define mistake in your speakers or 96 DB they should play reasonably loud with minimum wattage but there's an old saying out there honestly believe it too it's better to overpower your speakers then to underpower them

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis