Help me build Macintosh System

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The markup on speakers alone is (my guess) over 70%....
I am willing to bet that Salk SoundScape 8's are much better at less than 20% of the price.

If wanted to get Mac system, I'd honestly two separate systems. One pure HT - Denon/Marantz pre-pro, Mac amp(s) and some speakers and second stereo only: Mac Souce(s), Mac Pre-amp, Mac Amp and some speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If I was the salesman and knew the parameters of your purchase, there would be no discount. There is no need to, you're going to buy it as long as it says McIntosh on it.

I sell products to industrial companies. I have a full line of products, many of which are exceptional as compared to my competitors, but not all. In fact, some of my competitors have products which compliment mine and make them more productive. In such cases, I tell that good customer they should buy the X from me but the Y from the other guy. If I'm honest with him, I will sell him more in the future.

In this world, you rarely see speakers and electronics with matching names. If I ever did it, Linn might be the one. Your salesman suggesting other speakers was trying to do the right thing for you, to give you better VALUE.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your salesman suggesting other speakers was trying to do the right thing for you, to give you better VALUE.
But if same salesman is trying to convince you that you need to buy expensive cables, he's definitely conning you. Go to BJC for all your cable needs.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, but I just make my own cables. Happily.

If I was spending that kind of money on amps and speakers I might have a few hunert bucks to waste on some pretty "audiophool" cables though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yuck, they're using that same cheap light blue LED display that Emotiva does. At Emotiva prices it's barely acceptable. I expect better from McIntosh.
I'm not a fan of blue LED or Emotiva blue LED either. :)

But if I had to choose a McIntosh preamp, that's what I'd get.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Its still as toss up n 1.2kw's or 601's but leaning towards the 1.2KW's..Does anyone know how much these dealers will possibly discount on a large purchase like this..Mabe 10 or 15% ?
The best sound quality I could remember for a long time was from a pair of Mc1.2kWs and KEF Blades so if I were shopping for my last power amplifier it would be those and nothing less. They played them really loud in a relatively large room and the needles did go past the 120W mark, though barely and rarely so I know 1.2kW would offer plenty of headroom but 600W probably would not.

I think with Mc amps, dealers won't move much on price but you can always start at 25% and try to get at least 2 quotes, more is obviously better but then you will have to go far to seek out other dealers. For speakers, I would offer them no more than 70% of the list price. Sorry to say this, it's a pity that somone (tempting to use more appropriate adjectives:D) would buy Mc speakers just to have an "all Mc" system. I am sure they will sound quite good but there are much better speakers for much less. Even the highest end Mc dealer I have ever visited did not use Mc speakers to demo (not to me when I was there anyway) so they must knew something too.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions with no hard feelings from others opinions . The dealer all along kept telling me that he suggests other speakers rather then the Mc's as i was the one insisting for him to hook the MC's up so that i could hear them to compare to some 85k pair of Italian Speakers he showed me first. One thing i am kind of having sticker shock over are a pair of MC Speaker Cables list for $2200.00 8ft' they sure look awesome but..? So when he specked out my quotes, there is $4600.00 in MC Cables..:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think those sales guys are thinking, "If he could afford these McIntosh, he doesn't need any discounts!".

There is nothing wrong with wanting all McIntosh, especially if you have a few millions in the bank.

But just don't expect any discounts or low price items, even snake-oil cables that won't improve anything.

I use 10 AWG Kimber Kable speaker cables that look very pretty, but they only cost like $8 per FT.

OTOH, I see nothing wrong with getting all Mac amps & Mac preamps, Kimber Kable speaker cables, and then speakers from other brands.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
I think those sales guys are thinking, "If he could afford these McIntosh, he doesn't need any discounts!".

There is nothing wrong with wanting all McIntosh, especially if you have a few millions in the bank.

But just don't expect any discounts or low price items, even snake-oil cables that won't improve anything.

I use 10 AWG Kimber Kable speaker cables that look very pretty, but they only cost like $8 per FT.

OTOH, I see nothing wrong with getting all Mac amps & Mac preamps, Kimber Kable speaker cables, and then speakers from other brands.
I also really have no need for stereo equipment like this and if i feel that i am not getting a fair shake, i will just go with out it and spend it on other things i like as in Leica and Nikon Cameras along with Carbon Fiber Racing Bicycles being my main passion. I just have always in the back of my mind had a MC System on the radar...I will go to several large dealers whom sells this stuff and see how one stacks up against the other price wise. I am thinking i should be able to get about 20% off across the board on this purchase..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No need for it? I'm not surprised to hear that.

It's the people who can't live without high quality audio who will seek the very best quality sound to their ears that falls usually just over their maximum budget who buy it for the "right reasons", if ever there was one.

If you wanted to have the very best and impress both the audiophiles and everyone else at the same time, go ahead and get your all McIntosh electronics. Then instead of those unimpressive speakers you would go look at and listen to Magico, Raidho, YG, Wilson, Burmester, Dynaudio Eminence, KEF Blade, Vivid Audio, Focal Sopra, B&W 800D3, Sonus Faber Aida, Revel Ultima II, and a really long list of other high end speakers that not only sound far better but look cooler and more worthy of the spend.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Buying McIntosh speakers is akin to buying an old-school bonded-frame Trek that has some high end Italian brand name on the down tube decals.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Would I buy a Specialized top-of-the-line carbon fiber bike and insist that only Specialized branded derailleurs, brakes, seat, handlebar, headset bearings, chainwheels and other components be used? No. Would I buy a Leica camera and insist on buying only Leica lenses, yes. Would I insist that only a Leica tripod, Leica film or batteries be used. No.

There are areas of quality and expertise for every Brand name. No one maker has the very best of the industry in every given market where they compete. Apple tries hard to restrict applicability of 3rd party software and peripherals to their own, but only the lazy, foolish and die-hard Applelites have exclusively Apple everything. Even the most devoted (shareholder) Apple enthusiast wouldn't have at least an aftermarket screen protector or case for their iPhone.

McIntosh makes very good amps, pre-amps and other black boxes. Speakers are not their forte.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Would I buy a Specialized top-of-the-line carbon fiber bike and insist that only Specialized branded derailleurs, brakes, seat, handlebar, headset bearings, chainwheels and other components be used? No. Would I buy a Leica camera and insist on buying only Leica lenses, yes. Would I insist that only a Leica tripod, Leica film or batteries be used. No.

There are areas of quality and expertise for every Brand name. No one maker has the very best of the industry in every given market where they compete. Apple tries hard to restrict applicability of 3rd party software and peripherals to their own, but only the lazy, foolish and die-hard Applelites have exclusively Apple everything. Even the most devoted (shareholder) Apple enthusiast wouldn't have at least an aftermarket screen protector or case for their iPhone.

McIntosh makes very good amps, pre-amps and other black boxes. Speakers are not their forte.
OK You are starting to shake some sense into me about these speakers as i have not seen one person step forward yet and say anything good about MC Speakers. So what you are saying is that for about 35k i could find a really nice set of speakers that are far superior to the ones i am looking at? Would you please give me a few suggestions if you were choosing speakers ?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Jerry,

It would be a good start to know what the following parameters are:

Strictly two-channel music or multl-channel music and/or home theater? This matters choosing a speaker because you may want a matching center and surrounds.
Room size, length x width x height
Open to other spaces or closed?
Furnishings, floor surface hard or carpeted?
How loud do you listen?
What have you heard, anything you particularly like?
Style? Go to Google Images with all those names I listed in Post #30, or just go there and type in "high end loudspeakers." Anything there appeal to you or stand out as "over my dead body"?

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Here is a update on what I am thinking of going with that has been revised (2) MC1.2KW Monoblock Amps, C1100 Stereo Preamp, MCD550 CD Player,MT10 Turntable. I am thinking of buying these items first and once they arrive, i will have more time to decide on speakers...

Where does one find those matching low profile amp stands as i think those are kewl looking..?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
OK You are starting to shake some sense into me about these speakers
Good. Let's see if I can push you over the edge.

You obviously want Mac because of its reputation and perceived elite status. The reaction of most of your visitors to a complete Mac system will be "Wow!". It is exactly what you want.

However, you may occasionally have a visitor who knows something about audio. Their reaction will be, "Wow!!! This guy has more money than sense, clearly knows nothing about audio equipment and bought all this stuff just to impress his other ignorant friends!".

Wouldn't you rather get the same "WOW" from both audiophiles and neophytes with Mac components and speakers like these, http://www.statusacoustics.com/8t.html, or any of a number of other elite speakers? (Not to mention spending a fortune on a system that actually sounds good.)

Also, be prepared for the extra setup and maintenance required of a tube system. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it exists. This will not be a plug-and-play system. Make sure your dealer is competent.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Good. Let's see if I can push you over the edge.

You obviously want Mac because of its reputation and perceived elite status. The reaction of most of your visitors to a complete Mac system will be "Wow!". It is exactly what you want.

However, you may occasionally have a visitor who knows something about audio. Their reaction will be, "Wow!!! This guy has more money than sense, clearly knows nothing about audio equipment and bought all this stuff just to impress his other ignorant friends!".

Wouldn't you rather get the same "WOW" from both audiophiles and neophytes with Mac components and speakers like these, http://www.statusacoustics.com/8t.html, or any of a number of other elite speakers? (Not to mention spending a fortune on a system that actually sounds good.)

Also, be prepared for the extra setup and maintenance required of a tube system. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it exists. This will not be a plug-and-play system. Make sure your dealer is competent.
Any idea how much a pair of those speakers cost..? those looks nice..

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
A few years ago they were $50k/pair.
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/titus-8t-review
But you should ask Gene, (the owner of Audioholics), if he'd be willing to make you a deal on his. This is what he has in his personal system. Don't get your hopes up though. I seem to recall he wants to be buried with his.
I would not be interested in used ones anyways however they look awesome and i bet sound likewise..Thanks for your comments as i am all ears but kind of bullheaded on my way of thinking usually :)

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Just had my quote on the above items and they are willing to offer 12.5% off of full retail. Does this seem fair or is there a bit more left negotiate...? What you all think?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis