Last system I will ever need to own

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Man that house is looking awesome. Seems like they build them slow in OK but then again, there are no good schools there so they probably can't read blueprints....

When we built the house we are in now we went from a 3,650 SQ/FT house to this 1,800 as we wanted something more manageable plus we went for an 8 month period where neither one of us went upstairs.

Now that we have it all where we want it my wife wants to buy a big house again. I may just get a new wife. I am not leaving this house after everything we have done to the backyard which may not be recoverable....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When we built the house we are in now we went from a 3,650 SQ/FT house to this 1,800 as we wanted something more manageable plus we went for an 8 month period where neither one of us went upstairs.

Now that we have it all where we want it my wife wants to buy a big house again. I may just get a new wife. I am not leaving this house after everything we have done to the backyard which may not be recoverable....
I know what you mean. We just down-sized too (but, coincidentally, to 3650 sqft), and now my wife seems to covet bigger houses. I told her, I'm dying in this one, so she can get a different house with her next husband.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Man that house is looking awesome. Seems like they build them slow in OK but then again, there are no good schools there so they probably can't read blueprints....
Why.......You......... :mad: :D

The initial floor plan was about 6,000 SF single-story. The wife said it was too big so I had to modify the floor plan down to 5400SF single-story (using Photoshop :D). Then she said that 5400SF was still a little too big, but she was okay with the size.

The other day, she says, "Our house is actually not very big". :eek:

Women!!!!

Never satisfied with anything!!! :D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Oh mine says "it's way too big" a lot but she isn't talking about the house......:D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Have you given any thought to gutters? Doesn't look like you have a bunch of trees around. Wondering if some kind of gutter guard may be necessary in your area. If so, which one are you considering?

Asking because we're fixin' to get one. My research reveals a lot of debate, but most/all agree oversize gutters and downspouts are important.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you given any thought to gutters? Doesn't look like you have a bunch of trees around. Wondering if some kind of gutter guard may be necessary in your area. If so, which one are you considering?

Asking because we're fixin' to get one. My research reveals a lot of debate, but most/all agree oversize gutters and downspouts are important.
I definitely want gutters.

I am thinking 5" Aluminum x 0.032-gauge thick (thickest size) K-style gray-color gutter with 3x4" square downspout?

Regarding trees, there will a lot of trees around the house. But only a few trees right next to the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I am thinking 5" Aluminum x 0.032-gauge thick (thickest size) K-style gray-color gutter with 3x4" square downspout?
Sounds like the right size and good thick material. Think about cleaning them. Maybe talk to some neighbors and see how often it's required. Whatever the frequency, without some kind of gutter guard, either you do it, or you pay somebody to do it, or you pay somebody to replace rotting soffits and gutters.

I'm tired of doing it so we're having a gutter guard system installed next week. Transferable, lifetime of the house warranty. If ever we see a problem, just pick up the phone. They'll clean the gutters and fix the problem... free. It is one less thing to think or worry about relative to home maintenance. I like that. And if you had it installed as original installation, would not be much more than just gutters. (Ours is less than $20/ft, installed.)

If you do it, I have one word of caution. Although the micro-mesh systems are touted as the best new thing, many of them require regular cleaning with a brush. By you. It's in the warranty fine print. To me, regular cleaning with a brush is not much better than cleaning the gutters. The one we chose is maintenance free.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the right size and good thick material. Think about cleaning them. Maybe talk to some neighbors and see how often it's required. Whatever the frequency, without some kind of gutter guard, either you do it, or you pay somebody to do it, or you pay somebody to replace rotting soffits and gutters.

I'm tired of doing it so we're having a gutter guard system installed next week. Transferable, lifetime of the house warranty. If ever we see a problem, just pick up the phone. They'll clean the gutters and fix the problem... free. It is one less thing to think or worry about relative to home maintenance. I like that. And if you had it installed as original installation, would not be much more than just gutters. (Ours is less than $20/ft, installed.)

If you do it, I have one word of caution. Although the micro-mesh systems are touted as the best new thing, many of them require regular cleaning with a brush. By you. It's in the warranty fine print. To me, regular cleaning with a brush is not much better than cleaning the gutters. The one we chose is maintenance free.
I am 100% for maintenance FREE! :)

Which Gutter Guard System did you choose?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Which Gutter Guard System did you choose?
I don't want to sound like a commercial, and want to be clear that mine won't be installed until next week, so I can't verify anything from personal experience. This is just what I think I learned from my research.

> We're getting the K-Guard gutter system. It is a one-piece seamless gutter and guard. It's formed onsite from a roll of flat aluminum.
upload_2016-9-1_7-53-54.png

> A company, (I forgot their name, but it begins with a "K"), designed and built a machine to form the gutters. They originally sold their machines to a franchise company called "Leaf Guard". It is still widely used and available.

After some years, a couple design improvements were made due to customer experience. The biggest is the support system that supports the bottom & top of the gutter instead of just the top. (The top support system resulted in some gutter sagging over time.)

"Leaf Guard" already had so many of the original machines, they didn't want to replace them with the new $80k machines. So the "K" company began selling them under a new name... "K-Guard", and a new franchise began with the new machines.

> The K-Guard franchise sells for ~half the price of Leaf Guard.

> They are tested to handle up to 12" per hour of rain.

> If you do experience any overflow, they will come out and fix it for free. (They have a couple things they use like water diverters and a kind of ripple to slow down the flow.)

> They do not install under, or disturb your shingles. That means it doesn't void your shingle warranty.

> It is fully guaranteed for the life of your house, and the guarantee transfers to the new owner if you sell your house. If it's ever necessary, they will come out and clean your gutters and/or fix any problems free.

> My fishing buddy got them a few years ago and says they work great. He's gone out and looked during the heaviest thunderstorms, and says there is no overflow. And so far, his abundance of pine needles and pollen have not been a problem. He got his because his neighbor did it a few years earlier, recommended them, and is still pleased. (Note: Pollen is a significant problem in clogging the micromesh systems.) Pine needles and pollen are a major concern at my house:
upload_2016-9-1_8-19-52.png

> And finally, K-Guard just started a $100 referral program. Not sure if it works between different franchises... but maybe. If you decide to get them, we can find out. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't want to sound like a commercial, and want to be clear that mine won't be installed until next week, so I can't verify anything from personal experience. This is just what I think I learned from my research.

> We're getting the K-Guard gutter system. It is a one-piece seamless gutter and guard. It's formed onsite from a roll of flat aluminum.
View attachment 19074

> A company, (I forgot their name, but it begins with a "K"), designed and built a machine to form the gutters. They originally sold their machines to a franchise company called "Leaf Guard". It is still widely used and available.

After some years, a couple design improvements were made due to customer experience. The biggest is the support system that supports the bottom & top of the gutter instead of just the top. (The top support system resulted in some gutter sagging over time.)

"Leaf Guard" already had so many of the original machines, they didn't want to replace them with the new $80k machines. So the "K" company began selling them under a new name... "K-Guard", and a new franchise began with the new machines.

> The K-Guard franchise sells for ~half the price of Leaf Guard.

> They are tested to handle up to 12" per hour of rain.

> If you do experience any overflow, they will come out and fix it for free. (They have a couple things they use like water diverters and a kind of ripple to slow down the flow.)

> They do not install under, or disturb your shingles. That means it doesn't void your shingle warranty.

> It is fully guaranteed for the life of your house, and the guarantee transfers to the new owner if you sell your house. If it's ever necessary, they will come out and clean your gutters and/or fix any problems free.

> My fishing buddy got them a few years ago and says they work great. He's gone out and looked during the heaviest thunderstorms, and says there is no overflow. And so far, his abundance of pine needles and pollen have not been a problem. He got his because his neighbor did it a few years earlier, recommended them, and is still pleased. (Note: Pollen is a significant problem in clogging the micromesh systems.) Pine needles and pollen are a major concern at my house:
View attachment 19075

> And finally, K-Guard just started a $100 referral program. Not sure if it works between different franchises... but maybe. If you decide to get them, we can find out. ;)
Hmm. Here is a You Tube review of K-Guard. Not good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis