Yamaha RX-A860 vs Denon AVR-X3200W

• Thread starter Dennis Doroslovac
  • Start date
D

Dennis Doroslovac

Audiophyte
Hello,

I am new to the forum and Im stumped on choosing an AV receiver. The choices are between the Yamaha RX-A860 or the Denon AVR-X3200W. The Denon was purchased for $849CAD at bestbuy. The receiver is still unopened as I was waiting for the arrival of the new Yamaha's prior solidifying my decision. I can pick up a new A860 for a little bit more (as it has just been released) but is It worth it.

I am (or was?) a loyal Yamaha customer but the Denon sounds like the attractive buy.

Also, I'm finishing my basement/theatre area to include a 5.1.2 set up. Will be running Klipsch speakers.

Suggestions??

Sincerely,
Dennis

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know without knowing what features appeal to you more in which avr. Why did you choose the Denon originally? Why does the Yamaha appeal now?

D

Dennis Doroslovac

Audiophyte
The features that appeal most are the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X availability. Denon confirms an update and the new Yamaha has it baked in. When comparing the specs, they seem fairly close. I'm in no means an AV expert.

Yamaha has its appeal because I've owned three of their receivers. I'm still using an RX-V1900 in my living room. I am curious about Denon and their offering.

Is one receiver better than the other? My dollar can go either way and most likely will have this receiver for a very long time.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The features that appeal most are the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X availability. Denon confirms an update and the new Yamaha has it baked in. When comparing the specs, they seem fairly close. I'm in no means an AV expert.

Yamaha has its appeal because I've owned three of their receivers. I'm still using an RX-V1900 in my living room. I am curious about Denon and their offering.

Is one receiver better than the other? My dollar can go either way and most likely will have this receiver for a very long time.

Thanks!
I'm frankly leaning Yamaha even tho I don't own one, and do own a Denon (4520). I do like Audyssey but newer YPAO seems to have improved.

Well, seems Yamaha has for a few years been on top in the reliability department among the manufacturers per industry stats and reports have it that it controls production more closely with their own people/facilities more than the others these days. I noticed some new Denons are now being made in Vietnam at a new (to them at least) contractor's facility. I've had issues with Denon refurbs. I'm not crazy about relying on internet based updates. Not really impressed with D+M Group management/ownership.

It seems the A860 has increased bass eq abilities which is nice, as well as the YPAO RSC. I've gone with Denon for Audyssey due to sub eq in part when YPAO at the time didn't address it as well (from what I could gather without actually using one), altho from what I read I don't know if its just PEQ or if YPAO utilizes further sub filters than before.

If you are used to Yamahas of the past maybe its also good to continue with what's familiar.

This thread may be useful as might this thread.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha = Unmatched reliability and trouble free operation. Denon = Audessey. YPAO, while improved, cannot match Audessey. It is a dilemma that I face as well. I worked in the industry for years and there is no question in my mind that Yamaha makes a longer lasting and more reliable product but Audessey really is much better than YPAO especially the higher end versions.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am new to the forum and Im stumped on choosing an AV receiver. The choices are between the Yamaha RX-A860 or the Denon AVR-X3200W. The Denon was purchased for $849CAD at bestbuy. The receiver is still unopened as I was waiting for the arrival of the new Yamaha's prior solidifying my decision. I can pick up a new A860 for a little bit more (as it has just been released) but is It worth it.

I am (or was?) a loyal Yamaha customer but the Denon sounds like the attractive buy.

Also, I'm finishing my basement/theatre area to include a 5.1.2 set up. Will be running Klipsch speakers.

Suggestions??

Sincerely,
Dennis
I am faced withe same decision, however I am only interested in which one has the best sound. IMO Audyssey is just a gimmick and is totally useless, so I am inclined towards Yamaha which has won the EISA award.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am faced withe same decision, however I am only interested in which one has the best sound. IMO Audyssey is just a gimmick and is totally useless, so I am inclined towards Yamaha which has won the EISA award.
If you have seen the bass frequency (say 15-150 Hz) response of your system in your room you may not have called it gimmick. Whether you could audibly discern any difference is a different story though.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Acc4less has a refurbished Denon AVR-X3200W for $490 whereas the Yammie RX-A860 is $650. I also prefer the Audyssey MUlti EQ XT to YPAO w/RSC myself. However, the Denon AVR-X3300W adds Sub EQ HT which is very helpful if the OP has dual subs. But then again, the 3300W is also $1k! Here are a few links for the OP:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3200w/denon-avr-x3200w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa860bl/yamaha-rx-a860-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX3300/Denon-AVR-X3300W-IN-Command.html?tp=179

Personally, I think that I would opt for the 3200W unless I was thinking dual subs. Then, the 3300W would be the way to go. But, there is no denying Yamaha's reliability!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
This year EISA award for 2016-2017 was awarded to Denon AVR x2300w and Yamaha was awarded the EISA for the YSP-5600 Soundbar...https://www.eisa.eu
The choice has always been challenging when Denon vs Yamaha and why some chose Denon was because of the Audyssey setting and some chose Yamaha because reliability, while 1 of the most important factors is what sounds that individuals ear is hearing and embracing...Enjoy

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis