Help me build Macintosh System

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Greetings folks, I am new to this audio stuff but been lusting over purchasing some stero equipment by Macintosh. All input welcome and here is what i am thinking. Pair of Mc601 Amps, Pair of XR200 Speakers and a MT10 Turntable. What else am i missing or can i get started with this kit..? Thanks, Jerry in NW Ohio

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you get amps, you will need a processor or preamp.

You could just get their integrated amp or stereo receiver, which have both a preamp + amp.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
I am really leaning towards the 601's and the turntable. what pre amp do you suggest for this setup in the McIntosch Lineup?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Let me guess.

Someone in the family had or has it, someone Jerry respects told him it's the best, someone told him he couldn't afford it...those are just a few of the common ones. It's very good stuff, though much a cult thing as it is not exactly "advanced technology." The blue lights and sweeping needle gauges are cool though. Some of it is finicky and prone to needing service,

Being a long time player in the market's upper end, the line enjoys high resale value. That can't be denied.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Quite honestly the reason i am interested in this brand is "just want it" I have no real reason what so ever but the fact when i set my mind on a particular brand just as i do with my Leica and Nikon Camera equipment, I for the life of me can not find out what the list price is on the 601's and do the dealers negotiate at all or is full retail firm like it is with rolex watches etc..?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Having owned both Leica (M4) and Nikon (many SLR & DLSR) cameras, I can understand the attraction there because it was literally easy to SEE and anyone with good vision could confirm. Under the loupe on a light table or in the darkroom making prints, the quality of the images was easily verified.

Of course with those cameras, there were a number of owners who hung them around their necks as a statement because they clearly couldn't take a good picture and had no clue what a good print was. It's the same mindset of the Porsche 911 or Corvette ZR1 owner. There are those who buy on performance and will actually take a $100,000 car out on the track to see what it'll do. Then there's the buyer who have never gone 'round a bend with their foot off the brake pedal and hard on the throttle...but they got the car everyone recognizes.

Audio is a little different. You can have some very high end product but only another enthusiast may recognize the brand. Fewer still may recognize the performance differential of it versus a lesser-known but higher performing brand. McIntosh audio may be the more widely recognized brand among the masses as a "high end" product simply because they've endured for enough decades and their equipment is found in many an estate sale. So yes, it can be a status icon in an otherwise obscure (to the masses) passion, albeit one only seen by visitors to your home.

If you're getting the McIntosh pre-amp and power amp, yet looking at their speakers and turntables, it's an indicator that you're buying on brand alone. They make very fine amps, and even their AV processor may be pretty good. They're just not competitive in performance with those speakers or perhaps even turntables at their price levels.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yuck, they're using that same cheap light blue LED display that Emotiva does. At Emotiva prices it's barely acceptable. I expect better from McIntosh.
and I hate the way they splash all the logos for DTS, Dolby, Audyssey, Atmos, etc; all over the front. That stuff belongs on the top so it won't be seen when the device is in a rack. It really uglies up the front panel. :p

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Are those logos silk-screened paint or are they just stickers?

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
Ok just returned from Paragon Sight & Sound knowing a whole lot more then i did before I left. Here is the way i think i am going to go to start with. Either a pair of MC601 Power Amps or a pair of MC1.2KW Power Amps along with a C1100 Stereo Preamplifier,MCD550 CD Player and a Pair of XRT1K Loud Speakers. WOW and are those cables for hooking everything up quite expensive..

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
and I hate the way they splash all the logos for DTS, Dolby, Audyssey, Atmos, etc; all over the front. That stuff belongs on the top so it won't be seen when the device is in a rack. It really uglies up the front panel. :p
Actually myself i love all those logos and cheap plastic stickers on the stuff..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok just returned from Paragon Sight & Sound knowing a whole lot more then i did before I left. Here is the way i think i am going to go to start with. Either a pair of MC601 Power Amps or a pair of MC1.2KW Power Amps along with a C1100 Stereo Preamplifier,MCD550 CD Player and a Pair of XRT1K Loud Speakers. WOW and are those cables for hooking everything up quite expensive..
I only wish I had the cash to go buy the stuff you're getting. I'm excited for you, and congrats on some very sweet equipment. however, you might want to research cabling on your own before you spend a ton of cash on some. be wary of sales folk selling expensive cables...

there's a lot of conflicting info and pseudo science out there, but the hard science seems to back up that there's only so much you can do to a cable to make it perform better. you can end up spending hundreds... or thousands on cables for very incremental or no improvement at all. a lot of it is just fancy dressing and aesthetics.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would definitely forget about those speakers. $45K per pair? It's not a matter of money, you can just do a lot better IMO. The fact that a lot better is available for about half the cost is just bonus.

You should also be aware that those "autoformers" on the amplifiers are just plain silly, technically speaking. Pure marketing. The meters are nice though.

Really, all kidding aside, the McIntosh stuff you're considering doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're looking for remarkable look and feel, I get it, I like it myself, but you can do much better.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I cringe at a proposition like this. Of course it's rooted in envy because I know I couldn't afford to do the same, but at the same time I do know in my heart that if I had the money...it would be spent differently even if I had to spend it only on audio. There are SO MANY speakers I'd buy before those, even if the amps where the only ones on the market.

Buy whatever the salesman is selling. As a salesman, you are my dream customer. I envy him or her that.

MacManJerry

MacManJerry

Enthusiast
I cringe at a proposition like this. Of course it's rooted in envy because I know I couldn't afford to do the same, but at the same time I do know in my heart that if I had the money...it would be spent differently even if I had to spend it only on audio. There are SO MANY speakers I'd buy before those, even if the amps where the only ones on the market.

Buy whatever the salesman is selling. As a salesman, you are my dream customer. I envy him or her that.
The salmon has nothing at all to do with my thought process as he suggested other wise, but that i am hell bent and bound on Mc stuff i am most likely to stay with the speakers also. I have not bought a single thing yet as we are still in the process of deciding exactly what i want etc..Just like my cameras and other things i am so BRAND LOYAL it is hard to sway me astray...I am aware there are many better speakers but quite honestly i don't care :) Its still as toss up n 1.2kw's or 601's but leaning towards the 1.2KW's..Does anyone know how much these dealers will possibly discount on a large purchase like this..Mabe 10 or 15% ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis