M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Hi guys, I'm on a market for a sub and don't have much budget since I'm remodeling completely all my new house. My eyes are on Polk audio psw125 and a klipsch r-12sw, both on Amazon for 279 dollars.
Which one you think I should go with? Maybe other suggestion for the same price?
Thank you so much

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi guys, I'm on a market for a sub and don't have much budget since I'm remodeling completely all my new house. My eyes are on Polk audio psw125 and a klipsch r-12sw, both on Amazon for 279 dollars.
Which one you think I should go with? Maybe other suggestion for the same price?
Thank you so much
I would NOT go with either of them. But, this would be better:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

The Dayton will be hard to beat in the $200 price range. Duals will be even better!

Cheers,

Phil

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

That’s what volume controls are for. (Unless you’re talking about physical size – can’t help you there. :) )

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast

That’s what volume controls are for. (Unless you’re talking about physical size – can’t help you there. :) )

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Well sure, volume controls I know they are made for that but I'm wondering if a so big sub will be killed in a so small space.

S

Stephane

Audiophyte
Im currently running an old Velodyne CHT8, 130w rms, 8in driver, front slotted port. I tried the psw125 and honestly my old sub sounded just as good. Was unimpressed. Also tried a Def tech ProSub 1000, a little better, maybe a but tighter but not enough to justify the expense. I now have a Klipsch r12sw on order and will give that a try. If that doesn't do it I give up for now. It's an $800 cad sub, but got it on sale for $525 cad. 200w rms down to 29hz +-3db. On paper better than my cht8.

I'm not convinced the Dayton will be any better. 150w rms driving a 15in down to 50hz?

SVS PB-2000? Sure that would sound great, also costs $1200 cad. As much as I'd like to drive a Porsche, I have to settle for a Mazda3 Sport.

I should mention my ht is in the basement. Room dimensions approx 12x22 and standard 7.5ft ceilings. Laminate floor throughout, large window covered with thermal drapes. Setup is at one end, open stairs at far end of basement.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Im currently running an old Velodyne CHT8, 130w rms, 8in driver, front slotted port. I tried the psw125 and honestly my old sub sounded just as good. Was unimpressed. Also tried a Def tech ProSub 1000, a little better, maybe a but tighter but not enough to justify the expense. I now have a Klipsch r12sw on order and will give that a try. If that doesn't do it I give up for now. It's an $800 cad sub, but got it on sale for $525 cad. 200w rms down to 29hz +-3db. On paper better than my cht8.

I'm not convinced the Dayton will be any better. 150w rms driving a 15in down to 50hz?

SVS PB-2000? Sure that would sound great, also costs $1200 cad. As much as I'd like to drive a Porsche, I have to settle for a Mazda3 Sport.

I should mention my ht is in the basement. Room dimensions approx 12x22 and standard 7.5ft ceilings. Laminate floor throughout, large window covered with thermal drapes. Setup is at one end, open stairs at far end of basement.

Grown-up subs aren't terribly easy to find for less than a grand in Canada. I'm pretty fond of my Paradigm PW-2200, though. If you ever happen to come across one on Canuck Audio Mart for a reasonable price, it's well worth picking up. --> Oh, look! <-- (Edit: This one also looks interesting, but it might be overkill for your ~2000ft³ room unless you really crave an authoritatively pressurized room.)

You might also consider a DIY project. Creative Sound Solutions is based in Canada, and building the sub yourself might get you similar performance to the SVS Porche for a Volkswagen budget, so to speak.

Last edited:
S

Stephane

Audiophyte
Grown-up subs aren't terribly easy to find for less than a grand in Canada. I'm pretty fond of my Paradigm PW-2200, though. If you ever happen to come across one on Canuck Audio Mart for a reasonable price, it's well worth picking up. --> Oh, look! <-- (Edit: This one also looks interesting, but it might be overkill for your ~2000ft³ room unless you really crave an authoritatively pressurized room.)

You might also consider a DIY project. Creative Sound Solutions is based in Canada, and building the sub yourself might get you similar performance to the SVS Porche for a Volkswagen budget, so to speak.
Nice! Ill have to read up on that pw-2200...forn$275 doesnt toi bad...im Always à little hesitant to buy used, given the amps don't last forever etc...

That other one is nice but a bit steep at $650...and much further from Ottawa.

I also like diy.... I do have a workshop at home and somewhat handy with woodworking tools.

Will look that up as well

Thanks for the info!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You will definitely get a much better sub from CSS and would absolutely get a serious wow factor boost.

S

Stephane

Audiophyte
You will definitely get a much better sub from CSS and would absolutely get a serious wow factor boost.
Pricing wise it's still up there...looked at a few of their kits...and anywhere between 500-900... Trying to see if I can land that pw2200 on CAM ... old sub though...13-14 years old?

How long do these amps last on these things ? Assuming I buy it and the amp dies, am I SOL or could it be replaced for a reasonable cost?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Pricing wise it's still up there...looked at a few of their kits...and anywhere between 500-900... Trying to see if I can land that pw2200 on CAM ... old sub though...13-14 years old?

How long do these amps last on these things ? Assuming I buy it and the amp dies, am I SOL or could it be replaced for a reasonable cost?

I think I'm the third owner of my sub. Not sure when it was first purchased or how many thousands of hours it has played, but it's obviously got some longevity. Unknown how much a replacement amp would cost. If you're concerned, then here's an option with a newly replaced amp.

S

Stephane

Audiophyte
I think I'm the third owner of my sub. Not sure when it was first purchased or how many thousands of hours it has played, but it's obviously got some longevity. Unknown how much a replacement amp would cost. If you're concerned, then here's an option with a newly replaced amp.
Yeah saw that one too.. waiting to hear back from the other seller. Offered him $200 ...

The v2 is impressive, more power etc...he's just about a 5 hour drive from my house though ;-)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah saw that one too.. waiting to hear back from the other seller. Offered him $200 ...

The v2 is impressive, more power etc...he's just about a 5 hour drive from my house though ;-)

When the amp does finally give up its magic smoke, you could always convert it to use an external amp like a Behringer iNuke or a Crown of some sort.

S

Stephane

Audiophyte
When the amp does finally give up its magic smoke, you could always convert it to use an external amp like a Behringer iNuke or a Crown of some sort.
Ok, so i picked up à Martin Logan Depth i...
Local BB on clearance open box. Initial default setting out of the box and I must say I am blown away.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I owned the descent I years ago, and it was a very nice sub, over priced for what I can get now USD, but served very well. In a mid sized room it provided massive slam. Enjoy your new sub

Ok, so i picked up à Martin Logan Depth i...
Local BB on clearance open box. Initial default setting out of the box and I must say I am blown away.

S

Stephane

Audiophyte
I owned the descent I years ago, and it was a very nice sub, over priced for what I can get now USD, but served very well. In a mid sized room it provided massive slam. Enjoy your new sub
What I paid Canadian is unreal...with 9 years warranty from BB. I couldn't pass it up...my room is average size, the sound pressure this things generates unbelievable.

I may pick up an auralex subdude to keep what little rattle it causes down to a minimum.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cant imagine it has any rattle, I could sit a glass of water on the decent and it wouldnt move the water.

Edit: my cats sleep on top of my current opposed subs during reference listening lol
What I paid Canadian is unreal...with 9 years warranty from BB. I couldn't pass it up...my room is average size, the sound pressure this things generates unbelievable.

I may pick up an auralex subdude to keep what little rattle it causes down to a minimum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis