Want to replace vintage The New Advents large

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I'm looking to get some new speakers. (or used)
I've been using New Large Advents, which are cool, but I kind of want something modern or current.

I either use a Sony STR-6800SD receiver or NAD 216 THX am and 114 preamp. (probably selling the NADs soon)

I'm not knocked out by the Advents on either setup, but the tweeters really seem hot and a bit bright, with the Sony. (I prefer the Sony overall, though. NAD is a bit dull to my ears)

I listen to JAZZ primarily, and looking to spend no more than $500

What do you think, folks? Gimme some suggestions

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Are they good?
I have some old jbl-LX22's lying around here, which are the same size. They're ok, not thrilling.
Do you think the AA would be better?

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Cool - that old Sony receiver. I used to own a Sony cassette deck of that era with that brushed alum faceplate. :) Memories!

You will keep the NAD until after you buy new speakers, right?

Anyway, if you find the Advents a bit bright, I'd check out the more mellow Wharfedales. What's your budget and size of room?

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
17x18 room.
Advent twweters mostly sound hot when I listen to CDs on the SONY, plugged into the AUX port. Spotify, LPs, other streaming, video, sound OK, for some reason. Just the 2 CD players (sony carousel, and Onkyo single player)

Like to keep it under $500. (receptive to used stuff, also)

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
17x18 room.
Advent twweters mostly sound hot when I listen to CDs on the SONY, plugged into the AUX port. Spotify, LPs, other streaming, video, sound OK, for some reason. Just the 2 CD players (sony carousel, and Onkyo single player)

Accessories4less is a great place, many of us shop there.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are they good?
I have some old jbl-LX22's lying around here, which are the same size. They're ok, not thrilling.
Do you think the AA would be better?
They are great for the price they sell for. You can read some more about them from these topics:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/elac-b5-vs-philharmonic-affordable-accuracy-new-monitor.97171/#post-1109193
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-2015-affordable-accuracy-speakers-by-dennis-murphy.95661/#post-1092558

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
17x18 room.

Well, there you go. Stop listening to CD, then! o_O (Or get a new CD player.)

Wharfedale 210's are $500/pair and they consistently do make good speakers.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, there you go. Stop listening to CD, then! o_O (Or get a new CD player.)

Wharfedale 210's are $500/pair and they consistently do make good speakers.
Can't remember if I have heard the Wharfedale 210, but Wharfedale what I have heard are lacking some detail imo.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, detail. That's what I want. Detail.
I dig the sound of the Advents, but want more detail...and a bit more mids

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Yeah, detail. That's what I want. Detail.
I dig the sound of the Advents, but want more detail...and a bit more mids
But the problem comes with balancing detail with high end brightness/harshness. Can be tough.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
But the problem comes with balancing detail with high end brightness/harshness. Can be tough.
The "New" Advents had a revised tweeter with fluid in the voice coil, and the crossover point was raised from 1000 Hz to 1500 Hz. That's pretty darn high for an 11" woofer, and you can't expect a lot of detail at the top end. The "hot" sound you're hearing on some music may be the tweeter, but it could also be a breakup mode from the woofer. It would be pretty simple to find a modern and not terribly expensive speaker that would have more detail and air than the Advents. But you would be giving up deep bass response, which was the Advent's strongest suit. So it's kind of a matter of priorities.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
Wow. Interesting stull. Thanks.

So, just saying I'd like to give up on the 11" bass, and get something modern, that has more detail (perhaps add a sub, or not),
can anyone give me any model names?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wow. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

So, just saying I'd like to give up on the 11" bass, and get something modern, that has more detail (perhaps add a sub, or not),
can anyone give me any model names?
In the second post in this thread, tyhjaarpa, recommended the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy monitors. I second that: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Just a side note, Dennis Murphy (see post #12) runs Philharmonic Audio.

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
OK, thanks. I saw that, AA and Wharfedale....any others?

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I'll put my asbestos-lined suit on in a minute...

My original Advent Large loudspeakers, from the early 70's, would be re-coned twice over the decades, but were never as good as the originals, although they needed every available Watt of power from my 68-vintage AR Amplifier to fill my den. Both are long gone now. Enter a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1's 12/14 - and shades of my feelings of the original Advents... I know, the NHT's 6.5" acoustic suspension isn't as large as the 10" in the Advent - but the 'thud' was just as memorable. My Onkyo TX-8020 50 Wpc stereo receiver was doing it's best to fill my 12' x 11' office... until I tried a pair of smallish Klipsch PRC-made bookshelf speakers (KB-15). Sorry, I couldn't afford Heresys... at now a kilobuck per. I was on the track - and 11/15 found me ordering a pair of RB-81ii's - their largest, albeit canceled, bookshelf speaker with it's front-ported 8" bass reflex lf driver and 1" Ti horn hf driver. Amazon still has a few - $280/ea shipped. They are very efficient - and can deafen me in my office now (I bought a 50 Wpc Emotiva a-100 mini-X amp and feed it only from an Onkyo C-7030 CDP.). This is the best stereo system I've owned. They are not as 'harsh' sounding as others would lead you to think... but I leave the grilles on my speakers! Great bass, mid-bass, and high frequencies - quite decent midrange, too, and very efficient. VG dynamic range, too, although I haven't watched any disaster or war movies lately on it with NETFLIX - mainly music, ranging from early CD's of Paul Simon's 'Graceland' to several versions of Ravel's 'Bolero' - and even the ultimate - Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' sounds great (Just ignore the temptation to 'crank it up' during the beginning funeral dirge, lest you later get blown away by the cannon fire!). Dynamic! Okay... flame retarding suit is on...

JRT3

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'll put my asbestos-lined suit on in a minute...
No need to worry about flaming responses here. We certainly cannot fault your general method of listening and selecting speakers you like. Klipsch may not be a widespread favorite here, but your preference is yours, not ours.

It's been a long time since I heard Advents, but I'm not surprised you liked the NHT SuperOne better. Those Advents probably had a large dip in the mid range, especially off-axis.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis