Active HDMI cable from Monoprice with Redmere Technology

C

chinkw1

Enthusiast
Hi bros,

I bought a few Active HDMI cables from Monoprice with Redmere Technology.

When I plug its Source end to my Oppo Player&other players, and the TV end to AVR hdmi input, it WORKS PERFECTLY.
But when I plug its Source end to my AVR hdmi OUTPUT and the TV end to TV, it DOESN'T WORK.

How come?
Could it be because the hdmi cable is "Active HDMI cable", therefore cannot be used from AVR hdmi output connect to TV ?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
That's kinda weird... I do have several Redmere MP cables and so far they work flawlessly. It could be a cable malfunction, though.

Get in touch with MP, explain the issue and I'm sure they'll provide an exchange for you ;)

C

chinkw1

Enthusiast
hi avliner,

You use the cable between your AVR hdmi OUTPUT to TV and it works?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Howdy Chink,

sorry for the late reply.

Yes it does work fine and I also have a 40' cable from PJ to AVR working perfectly :cool:

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I have experienced exactly this issue. It is absolutely maddening. Apparently, the HDMI output of some receivers doesn't supply enough power to the cable circuit to work consistently, though the Oppo has no problem supplying enough power. It's not a signal strength issue, but not enough current from the HDMI power pins. I ended up bypassing the receiver and sent the video directly to the projector from one of the dual outputs on the Oppo.

I wonder if it would be possible to wire together some kind of pass through HDMI power supply, where all the input pins except power would be passed directly through to the output but the power pins would be connected to an appropriate power supply. I'll have to look into it.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
It could well be Blue,

in my case, I'm using my good'n'ole Denon 2809CI which has only one HDMI port though.
Besides that, I do have an active 2x1 HDMI switcher in-between and never had an issue so far:cool:

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I found a potential solution to this problem. There's such a thing already out there called a HDMI power injector. I found two flavors: one powered by a wall wart (https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-42223-HHDMI®Voltage/dp/B001AJP3PM/) and one powered by a USB jack (https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-42236-Inserter/dp/B00LQT760Q/). Neither has very good feedback but most of that appears to come from users who expected better signal strength, not HDMI power to run accessories. Since they appear to do exactly what I wanted in the post above, I'm going to give one of them a shot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I found a potential solution to this problem. There's such a thing already out there called a HDMI power injector. I found two flavors: one powered by a wall wart (https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-42223-HHDMI®Voltage/dp/B001AJP3PM/) and one powered by a USB jack (https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-42236-Inserter/dp/B00LQT760Q/). Neither has very good feedback but most of that appears to come from users who expected better signal strength, not HDMI power to run accessories. Since they appear to do exactly what I wanted in the post above, I'm going to give one of them a shot.
That device will probably do the trick for you. The 5 volt HDMI pin is not designed for powering cables and use for that is not supported, although you often get away with it.

Last time we had a thread on this it was because the cables blew and HDMI board because they draw a load higher then the HDCP spec.

I do not recommend the use of active HDMI cables. However if this device is safe it may well do the trick as it totally isolates powering the cables from the HDMI board of the powering device.

Really those Redmere cables should have a power supply with them. If you are going to use those cables they should not be powered by an HDMI board in my view.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I just installed the USB powered version and it works fine. It powers the Redmere cable with no hiccups from a previously recalcitrant receiver HDMI output. The USB power cable entering the jack comes from the side, which in my installation interfered with the adjacent receiver output, so I used a short (8 in) port saver type HDMI extension cable to get the power injector away from the receiver jack, and that worked well.

T

Tulsa

Audiophyte
Looking for answers on Niles speaker selector hook up to pioneer receiver zone 2 for outside isolated sound

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis