Connecting Typical Subwoofer to Thonet & Vander Hoch Classic 2.0

R

Reinhardt47

Audiophyte
Hello,

I am new to approaching sound and listening in this manner, hence the reason I am reaching out. I recently just bought the Thonet and Vander Hoch Classic 2.0 (http://www.thonet-vander.com/hoch.html) after some extensive research and actually, reading reviews on this site. I found it really helpful. For reference, attached is a diagram showing how to hook-up their equipment to their SW10 subwoofer.

My question: what is the best way to connect another subwoofer to this system, considering I do not have a receiver, reference: http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/thonet-vander-hoch/connections-use-construction

I do not have a subwoofer picked out exactly, but I was thinking something on the lines of Polk PSW10 (https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA). In general, I am assuming I need a sub with a built-in amp? I am trying to shy away from being forced to use the T&V SW10. I'm a little nervous to go and split signals, etc. without knowing the impact.

Perhaps this is easier than I think. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--R

Attachments

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Most subwoofers have their own built-in amp and get their signal from a RCA cable connected to the subwoofer output of a receiver. Your best bet is to split the output signal from whatever source you’re using, and send one to the speakers and the other to the subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

Reinhardt47

Audiophyte
Wayne,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The more research I do, it seems that is the way to go. Here is a question: does that result in lower volume, loss in signal, other concerns? Whats the best way to combat these issues?

This is my first time trying to split signals. Thanks,

R

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
At minimum you'd have to put a gain control between the source and your split to the subwoofer/monitors. There's no other way to control the output level of both the subwoofer and the monitors simultaneously. You would no longer have a use for the level controls on the monitors.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

There is no issue with signal-splitting. All y you need is a simple “y” adapter.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

Reinhardt47

Audiophyte
Interesting. Last bit of question: my source is directly from a computer 3.5 mm jack/phone. Does the source signal have to come from a receiver or pre amp?

Does something like the attached look right?

Thanks,
R

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It’s no problem using headphone outputs. You’ll need one of these and two of these to get from the computer to both sub and speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

There’s no functional difference between that and the ones I posted. These assorted connections and splitters have no effect on sound quality. That’s all determined by your sound card.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get a 404 error trying for the manual for the link to the speakers.

If you split the signal from the source to speakers/sub you will have duplicated frequencies from both to an extent. This may not matter to you, you may reach happy results "blending" the sub in with use of only the low pass filter. Seems volume setting would be a pain, too. Unless your soundcard has bass management and separate output for your speakers vs sub....

If the sub has an actual crossover (not just a low pass filter for the sub, but also a high pass filter for the speakers' signal) via it's line in/out jacks then I can see feeding the source to the sub and passing it to the active speakers for better bass management.

ps I'd look at the Dayton Sub1200 or 1500 before the Polk

R

Reinhardt47

Audiophyte
Yeah I'm not sure why the manual is showing up.

What you're saying now makes a lot of sense. Do you have any suggestions for a sub that has a crossover and line in/out RCA jacks?

In the same manner, are there external crossovers for use in a home system (not car) that is reliable? When in the system would that be introduced?

Thanks in advance,
R

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I'm not sure why the manual is showing up.

What you're saying now makes a lot of sense. Do you have any suggestions for a sub that has a crossover and line in/out RCA jacks?

In the same manner, are there external crossovers for use in a home system (not car) that is reliable? When in the system would that be introduced?

Thanks in advance,
R
I'd like to look at the speaker manual still if you have a link.

I don't need a full xover in a sub (I use an avr with bass management normally) so not sure what sub has an actual xover, just need to carefully check the sub's manual. I checked the Sub1200 manual, no high pass filter.

You can add external management in the form of a miniDSP like this one https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4 (this is the unbalanced version; depends on the voltage needed to drive your active speakers whether this one or the balanced version would work better). Behringer I believe also has suitable units. You can put this between your source and the sub/speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis