Help Choosing 5.1 Speakers/Subwoofer, and Receiver

Klipsch or Polk Audio Speakers

• Total voters
F

FeliksNY

Audiophyte
Hello,
I would like to ask for some recommendations on which set of 5.1 speakers to get as well as which receiver to go along with suggested option.
I will mostly, if not all the time, will use speakers for TV viewing movies, etc. and I'd like to experience surround sound (if/when movies allow).
I have attached an image of my floor plan to help put things into perspective.

I've built a one foot deep wall where I can hide fireplace, few shelves and three in wall speakers (left, right, center below TV), I am looking to get a 75 inch TV at least.
I have already prewired for 5.1 setup.
Rear speakers are in ceiling, as you can see on the picture.

Room dimensions are 18-19 feet wide, and 15-16 feet deep, and 8 feet high
I have wooden floors and my walls are sheetrock with wall paper.

I think I've narrowed it down to one of the two options below, but I'm not sure the difference between manufacturers.

OPTION #1
---------
In-Wall Front/Right/Center: Klipsch R-5502-W II
In-Ceilng Rears: Klipsch CDT-5800-C II
Subwoofer by couch: Possibly Klipsch Reference R-110SW

OPTION #2
---------
In-Wall Front/Right: Polk Audio 265-LS
In-Wall Center: Polk Audio 255c-LS
In-Ceilng Rears: Polk Audio 900-LS
Subwoofer by couch: Not sure yet, but possibly Polk Audio DSW PRO 440wi

Thanks for all recommendations!

Room HT.jpg

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
First time I've ever seen a room layout drawn in Excel. I like it!

Thoughts: I'm not crazy about Polk stuff below their LSi series. I'd be more inclined to go Klipsch than Polk between your two suggested options. Your sub does not need to be the same brand as your other speakers. You'll get a better performing sub if you go internet direct. If you could move your couch a foot or two away from the back wall that will probably improve the sound at your seat. If you're concerned that would block the sliding glass door, you might consider ditching the L-shaped couch in favor of three home theater seats. I ordered mine from this guy and got excellent advice, service, and a great bargain. Seems to me that a set of Berkline home theater chairs would be a worthy match to the 75" TV you have planned. A single sub next to the couch will probably be easily localized, and could be a distraction. A pair of subs up front will even out the bass response for a bigger sweet spot, and will be easier to blend with the mains. Smooth walls, smooth floor, and smooth ceiling will result in an acoustically bright room. At the very least plan to get an area rug.

Do you have a budget in mind for 3 front stage speakers, two in-ceilings, LFE, and receiver?

I'll take the Amazon prices of your Klipsch option to mean you intend to spend about 2 grand on speakers, and possibly $500 on an AVR, give or take a Benjamin? That's a pretty healthy budget.

Here's another way to go:

3x Boston Acoustics in-wall LCR
2x Boston Acoustics in-celing
Marantz SR7008
A4L total: $1850-ish shipped? (Probably an over-estimation of shipping.)
2x RSL Speedwoofer 10s -- $800 shipped

Total = $2650

Advantages: 2 very capable subs for your 2160-2432cu.ft. room, and a receiver that can individually correct the room response of two subs independently. Also, the SR7008 has excellent correction for your other 5 speakers as well.

Trade-offs: smaller in-ceiling surrounds. But you were never going to achieve audiophile bliss from in-ceilings anyway.

One last piece of advice: whichever LCR you choose, plan to build back-boxes for them.

Last edited:
F

FeliksNY

Audiophyte
rojo,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
Apologies for not responding before as I was traveling.
I would love to get theather type seats, but this is more of a family room setup with three kids, and a wife, so L shape is the only one I can get for now.

Q: Do you have a budget in mind for 3 front stage speakers, two in-ceilings, LFE, and receiver?
A: I don't really have one, Polk speakers I can find for about $1,500 (Polk Speakers), while Klipsch for about $2,000 (400 each at Crutchfield - no discounts anywhere that I found).
For Subwoofer I can do 300-700 range I guess and for Receiver whatever is needed I guess, but around 500-800 should suffice I hope, as I understand thats the brains and plus I will be connecting other equipment to it.

Here are few deals then for Klipsch, however I researched that Sub is not longer in Production and not sure if either Receiver is good enough or whether this deal is good to begin with:
Klipsch-R-5502-W-Speaker-SW-310-TX-NR838
Klipsch-R-5502-W-Speaker-5-1-SW-310-AVR-X4000

...but I am okay with buying everything separately.

I appreciate and am checking into your speaker suggestion.
Questions: If I go with Klipsch will Marantz SR7008 receiver still be the one to go with?
Also, I have already prewired just for one Sub and don't have a place for another one in front or in back as it will be a in away of walking, etc.

I will review the back boxes too.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't build back boxes for anything that didn't come with one originally. The speakers are made expecting certain conditions behind the cones, and if you change that, you change the way they are intended to behave.

As for the speakers, I would go with the Klipsch over the Polk. I don't think you will need MTM type designs (two woofers sandwiching a tweeter) unless you plan on listening very loudly. I would definitely skip both the Klipsch and Polk subs, they are both junkers. Here is the subwoofer I would get. It will vastly outperform the Klipsch and Polk subs. Even if you put the Klipsch and Polk subs together, they still wouldn't stand a chance against the Hsu. Regarding receivers, I would not bother with Onkyo- not a very reliable brand and not great auto-EQ system. I would be looking at Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, or Yamaha.

F

FeliksNY

Audiophyte
shadyJ,

Thank you for your comments, I am reviewing subwoofer you suggested, and I will go with Klipsch then probably as most people agree its better than Polk for this specific model.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
shadyJ,

Thank you for your comments, I am reviewing subwoofer you suggested, and I will go with Klipsch then probably as most people agree its better than Polk for this specific model.
Most people also agree that you can do better for the money on the subwoofer. The sub Shady picked out would be profoundly better, and would walk all over the Klipsch 10-inch. Rythmik LV12R would be another worthwhile option to consider.

F

FeliksNY

Audiophyte
I will review suggested subwoofers, but does anyone have a Receiver to suggest to go along with Klipsch speakers though?

Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis