Klipsch R-15PM - "The Most Versatile Monitor on the Planet"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
http://www.klipsch.com/products/r-15pm-powered-monitors

Interesting product. It features a true Phono input (MM need only apply), optical, USB, and standard analog input as well as Bluetooth connectivity. Klipsch touts that their internal amplifier is ultra low noise and capable of delivering 50 watts per channel (power electronics solely housed in one speaker). The monitors also feature a subwoofer output and full feature remote control.

If most powered monitors were this versatile I'd imagine all space conscious audio aficionados would lose their collective minds.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The subwoofer output is interesting, but it doesn't look like it does any filtering. It would be more useful if it at least had a high-pass filter on the speakers.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Hmmmm... even CNET says that it has the usual Klipsch high-end "brightness."

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've heard them. Nowhere near the shrill response of a similar-looking R-15M passive. Not bad at all actually, and I'm no fan of Klipsch's cheaper stuff.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've heard them. Nowhere near the shrill response of a similar-looking R-15M passive. Not bad at all actually, and I'm no fan of Klipsch's cheaper stuff.
I wish they had a powered version like this of the RP-160M, that would be spectacular.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't consider them for critical listening and that's the intended use. Jim @salksound has the option for powered speakers throughout his line and while a starting price point of around $1500 it's still a great bargain price, performance is awesome. . At $450 a pair I'm sure that a computer setup is nice but again never in my 2.1 or 2.0 set-up for critical listening.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
would these be a viable replacement for the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's? I've got the B&W's and they don't seem loud enough anymore. :confused:

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
An Onkyo TX-8020 50 Wpc stereo receiver and a set of Klipsch R-15M's, $367 from Amazon, will get you more, including an AM/FM tuner, tone controls, etc, but no digital/optical input. I got my R-15M's last B-F for $124. I moved them, my TX-8020 & C-7030 CDP, an older Sony BRD player, and a JVC 22" LCD/LED TV to my workbench in my bonus/hobby room for a killer mini-system. They were replaced in my office by another Onkyo C-7030 CDP and Emotiva a-100 mini-X 50 Wpc amp driving a pair of Klipsch RB-81ii's.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It takes a special (desensitized?) ear to appreciate the Klipsch Reference speakers at any volume. Their newer Reference Premier line is completely better. I'd take an RP-15M over the R-15M any day. The older series is cheaper, but worth the slight upcharge to get the newer product.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
The R-15PM, the topic of this thread, has the same drivers, etc, as the R-15M - it just has a 50 Wpc amp built-in. The 'equivalent' in driver size in the 'Reference Premier' line is the RP-150M. 'Desensitized' hearing? I thought, at 68, I just had 'mature' hearing! A lifetime of loud music - and not always using effective hearing protection when shooting firearms - have taken their toll on my hearing. Still - I recall being blown away by the first Klipschorns, with Heresy center, I heard - in 1971. Driven by three separate Dynaco 35W tube type mono amps, the sound was unreal - and loud - with no distortion. The R-15M's were oddly somewhat similar, as far as capable of higher volume levels without distortion is concerned. 'Horn's' just sound 'different'.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
As KenM stated not exactly the same words but this choice is based on one's listening preference and what there ears enjoy, Klipsch speakers and I have met but we don't have interest in one another.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis