When do YOU use a center speaker and WHY?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Up until recently I've reserved multichannel playback only for multichannel sources. If it's encoded in stereo, then I used only my main LR + sub as a strict rule. My AVR has been in its "Auto" surround mode for years.

However, I've recently taken to using Dolby PLII on stereo cable TV shows. Virtual surround lets me emphasize dialog while diminishing the accompaniment. More often than not, unless my daughter is watching cartoons, my cable box is tuned to PBS. I DVR mostly news shows -- PBS News Hour, Charlie Rose, John McLaughlin (RIP :(), Gwen Ifill's Washington Week, and so on; and when browsing the channel guide I tend to stop at car shows, cooking competitions, home improvement shows (but not with tiny houses!), How It's Made, and other such non-fiction stuff where I might learn something. Those programs are all encoded in stereo. Not that I don't enjoy Game of Thrones, Sherlock, and a few other fiction programs, though. In any case, speech intelligibility outweighs musical audiophilia for my casual television watching, so the center channel is usually on via Dolby PLII for stereo TV shows. And since my daughter is usually in bed at 8:30, the center channel is a nice way to boost dialog while de-emphasizing explosions.

But for stereo music, I still prefer 2.1 in almost all cases.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In my main system I use the center primarily for movies (mostly 5.1/7.1) and tv (which is for the most part 5.1). I sometimes listen to music sourced as 2.0 as 2.1, sometimes 9.1, via various modes in my avr (Dolby/DSX/DTS as suits my mood/music), multich music as 9.1. I've tried multich sources without the center, but prefer the center, particularly for dialog.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For movies that provide 5.1(+) sound track and multichannel music that has 5.1(+) channels.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I use a center speaker when watching a movie, TV or some mutli-channel music. Why I use it is because all of my seating positions are off-axis (not in the middle, sweet spot) and that makes it impossible to create a phantom center with the L-R mains.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use the Center Channel Speaker when the source is Discrete MCH (5.1, 7.1, etc). Reason is because the dialogue is much clearer when it is discrete.

I don't use the Center Channel Speaker when the source is only 2.0 or 2.1.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I only use my custom mains for stereo sources. No need for the center.
Center for 5.1⁄7.1 movies...

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I have a dedicated amp for my center and I like to use it for older movies on TV. Aerial centers make excellent sound bars. Otherwise it's used for surround movies and multi channel music.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
If you enjoy multi channel sound, a very good center channel speaker is important. Dialog is said to be about the most important speaker. Since my system is 10.2, I have a front & rear center channel speaker. I love it. It's all about tweaking your sound. If you are a strict 2 channel guy or gal, this probably won't matter to you.

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
I love multichannel but use my system mostly for music and have my speakers in the ideal location for stereo imaging. I don't use a center channel currently. I have B&W sig7 inwalls for mains and rears with some in ceiling speakers set up as side channels used as well. The surround effect is very good though if I could find an old B&W sig7 out there I'm sure it would improve it for dialog intelligibility. I think the center should be at least as good as the main channels other than bass output. It helps to match in my experience.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Use a center speaker...never.

Peace and goodwill.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Main theater that has it, all the time when it is used, movies and music.
Fam rm has only a soundbar, 2 ch with sub. Plenty good for TV watching and recorded TV series.
Serious stuff gets kicked up the chain. ;)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
When the source is multi-channel.
Exactly. Any other time means an artificially manipulated signal. Likewise, not using it when the source is multi-channel. Perhaps some people prefer to add or subtract it on occasion. That's ok. Not me.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That's the way I roll with center channel use too. And it's marvelous under those conditions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis