Receiver Capabilities

W

Wally009

Audiophyte
I am very new to the audio scene. I have acquired an Onkyo TX-NR805 receiver (http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR805&class=Receiver). I have had this receiver for several years. I also have a set of Jensen C-7 standing tower speakers (http://www.avdeals.com/speakers/c7.htm). I have an old Yamaha NS-C70 center speaker. I also have a set of RCA SP9951 speakers (http://www.terapeak.com/worth/rca-5-speaker-surround-sound-system-sp9951/191682682212/) for which I am using as the surround speakers. I have an Advent ASW1200 12" subwoofer (http://www.parts-express.com/advent-asw1200-12-powered-subwoofer--309-022) hooked up as well.

I've been having an issue of the receiver causing a popping noise and turning off. This occurs when I try and turn the volume up. It is not to any obscurely large amount and I have had it running higher the other day. The receiver is a bit warm, but nothing that I would say is hot enough to say it overheated. I read that it may be a speaker issue and started reading up on the specifications of these speakers. I received all of these things for free from different sources, so I did not get to pick and choose speakers that would work well together. I was wondering if this set up would work. I know my RCAs say they have a max wattage of 25W and 50W, and I'm pretty sure my Onkyo receiver says its minmum is 130W? I am really not sure on what can be used and what can't. What should I be looking for when choosing spoeakers to use? What makes them unusable? For specs on the receiver, just check the user manual at the link above in the 2nd sentence, or use this link: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-SR805_875_B_En.pdf

Thank you very much for any and all help. Everything is appreciated.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome.

The receiver is capable. That 130 watt is max continuous power before clipping into 8 Ohms, not minimum. I suppose the receiver was not new?

Your C7 speakers are designed for center channel operation.
What source are you feeding into the receiver?
Need to read the on line manual for proper setup and speaker designations and distances, etc.

What kind of speaker cables are you using? How is the connection made at the receiver and speakers? Bare wire or a connector like a banana type or spade lugs?
Make very sure there are no strands of wire between the terminals shorting.

AM sure others will have questions and ideas.

W

Wally009

Audiophyte
The receiver is not new.

I don't get why 2 floor standing speakers would be used as a center channel?
The source is an HDMI usually from an Xbox, a Chromecast, or just a L/R CD input from my phone.
I thought I set them up correctly and I followed the installation of speakers automatic set up process I thought, but I could try again.

I'm using bare wire. I'm honestly not sure of the gauge. My guess would be 16 or 18. It's your standard looking clear insulation copper wire with 12 strands. I have a small spool of it, but the spool isn't labeled. The speakers are a spring clip terminal and the receiver has some sort of binding post terminal.

I appreciate the help. So are you saying all the speakers I have should work ok with the system?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Like crafts suggested I would check that your wires are not shorting out by loose strands. Are your wires new or old? Could the wires have fracture?

edit: Your speaker / receiver should work fine together unless some of the parts is faulty. One thing you could try is to just connect the towers and see if this occurs, if not, add center and try again and so on..

W

Wally009

Audiophyte
What gauge wire should I be using? It appears to me my center, left, and right channels should use 14 to 12, while my surrounds can use the 18/16 or whatever it actually is?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What gauge wire should I be using? It appears to me my center, left, and right channels should use 14 to 12, while my surrounds can use the 18/16 or whatever it actually is?
Longer the run the thicker cable should be used. I think quite many here prefer 12 gauge for all speakers. You can get away with thinner cable if you don't have long runs how ever.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The receiver is not new.

I don't get why 2 floor standing speakers would be used as a center channel?
The source is an HDMI usually from an Xbox, a Chromecast, or just a L/R CD input from my phone.
I thought I set them up correctly and I followed the installation of speakers automatic set up process I thought, but I could try again.

I'm using bare wire. I'm honestly not sure of the gauge. My guess would be 16 or 18. It's your standard looking clear insulation copper wire with 12 strands. I have a small spool of it, but the spool isn't labeled. The speakers are a spring clip terminal and the receiver has some sort of binding post terminal.

I appreciate the help. So are you saying all the speakers I have should work ok with the system?
Does this issue happen when you have the Xbox as the source? Or it happens with any of your sources?
The speaker wire gage is not really an issue for now, just make sure there are no strands shorting. May need a magnifier.

No idea why someone would have two of those center designed speakers as main speakers. At least the web site for the speaker calls them center.

And, how loud is turning up the volume?

W

Wally009

Audiophyte
So I have re-used wire time and time again, so I went and got some pretty good 16 gauge wire and rewired the whole system. I also re-ran the auto speaker set up system that comes with the Onkyo. It seemed to do the trick. I was running probably -15db. I recently ran it and got past 0 and there didn't seem to be any issues. I also got a laptop cooling pad and am using it to hopefully keep the receiver a bit cooler. I also have a small fan blowing air behind the TV stand and across the back of the receiver to also help keep it cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis