Review: Sony KDL60W630B 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I recently purchased this television and am overall satisfied with it now that I've got it set up. Below is a copy of my review from Amazon.com. It doesn't get into all the details that folks here might want to know, so feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Very nice TV - here are some suggestions for improving the picture

This story has a happy ending and a four-star recommendation, but I want to brace you for some things that you may notice at first (and hate) and then discuss how to possibly fix them to your satisfaction. In a nutshell, I LOVE that this TV is absolutely dead silent when it's on and has a pretty darn good picture overall, but I hated the off-axis viewing and uneven backlighting when I first got it. After messing around with some of the picture adjustments and wiping the screen down (mentioned below), I now find myself really liking it. I went from being almost certain that I was going to return it to now knowing that I'm keeping it.

Some background - I went straight from CRT televisions to a Panasonic plasma TV, specifically because I wanted excellent off-axis viewing. Plasma delivers on that beautifully. I sucked it up and spent a good chunk of change on a Samsung F8500 plasma in December when they were stopping production, but while the picture was stunning, mine had the infamous loud buzzing of some of their sets (most didn't, but a few had issues). Long story short, I returned that Samsung to Amazon and bought this Sony after reading a bunch of positive reviews.

It was no surprise to me that the off-axis viewing on this LCD set wasn't as good as on a plasma. I was, however, surprised at just how much worse it was at small angles and the magnitude of washed out colors when I was about 30-40 degrees off axis. Colors were beautiful if I was directly perpendicular to the screen, but even standing up caused it to start looking washed out. Also, the plastic screen reflects a lot of ambient light, but it diffuses it. So, it doesn't look like a mirror with blatant reflections, but instead has a haze of light across large portions of the screen that sort of washes out the image.

I bought the Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] calibration disc (I couldn't find my old ones) to try and improve things. I thought maybe the color settings were off and that maybe it would get better off-axis once I corrected them. As it turns out, the Sony was already pretty close out of the box to the optimal settings for contrast, brightness, color, hue (tint), and sharpness. While that didn't help me, I give Sony a lot of credit for having these pretty well calibrated (at least, mine was).

Alright, so colors looked washed out off-axis, and there was uneven backlighting. Because you might (well, I expect you will) experience those same things, here are some suggestions of how to hopefully improve things a bit if you don't like the picture right out of the box:
(*) If you notice light patches on the screen when the screen is dark, trying rubbing the screen with a microfiber cloth or other material recommended for LCD screens. I had a few large white blobs scattered around the screen, and I read a review (maybe even here on Amazon) where the person mentioned "massaging" the screen to clear those up. Sounded odd, but I tried it, and it really did even it out and get rid of what once were blatantly obvious white blobs across my screen. So, just wipe it down like you are cleaning it - don't push hard. Light pressure should do the trick. My theory is that the screen had been deformed a bit when the delivery guys set the face of it down on my ottoman in order to get the base stand installed, and wiping it down helped to smooth it out. Who knows...whatever it was, wiping it down worked for me
(*) Try out the "Black Corrector" setting in the Advanced menu for picture adjustments. I normally leave all such adjustments off, but oh my - what a difference! I had pretty much made up my mind to ship this set back because of the washed out blacks that always looked grey...and then I turned on that setting. Simply amazing. Blacks actually look black now. Maybe I screwed up some other aspect of the image, but I can't see anything wrong. I find myself wondering why they don't have that turned on by default. I have it set to "high" and love how it helps the picture
(*) When sitting off to the side, I found that reducing the brightness from 50-55 to around 40 really helped bring the blacks back and made the image overall much better. It truly turned sitting off to the side from a "everything looks so washed out - I hate it!" experience to one of "wow, that looks really good." A bit of a hassle to have two different picture settings for when I move to a different seat, but I'm very happy that it can be corrected at all
(*) I also turned on the "Live Color" option in the Advanced picture settings and found it to really help colors look good off to the side
(*) If you don't like the "soap opera" effect, you can easily turn that off with the motion control options in the picture settings menu

Pros:
(*) A lot of available adjustments to let you tweak the picture. That's a con if you hate messing with that stuff :), but it's great to be able to do it if you want to. There are a number of options for reducing digital noise (can be nice for compressed video coming from sources like Netflix). They even let you adjust white balance settings, which isn't all that common on TVs
(*) I was able to get really pretty decent blacks on this after adjusting the Black Corrector mentioned above
(*) Dead silent when on. You might all expect that, but after using plasma for years, it was an incredibly welcome experience
(*) Turns on quickly (but some menus take a few seconds before you can access them)
(*) WiFi capability, as well as an Ethernet jack in back
(*) The smart functions can be pretty handy. I like being able to watch Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus directly on the TV without needing to turn on my blu-ray player or other streaming device. Not a necessity at all, but I find them convenient
(*) I love the TV guide for OTA broadcasts. The Samsung guide was a bit more polished, but this one works just fine
(*) USB ports and the ability to play some types of video files (more on that below)
(*) Pretty nice remote. Feels good in the hand and works well. My only nit is that the channel up/down button in on the bottom of the remote, and I'd like it more in the middle where it's easier for me to reach

Cons:
(*) The base stand is under designed, IMO, and the TV wobbles easily if you touch it anywhere (such as cleaning the screen or plugging things in). Luckily, their is a cautionary notice about unsteady TVs in the box, but I'd rather they actually made it steady to begin with.
(*) The processor is a little slow. Bringing up menus, the TV guide, apps...everything is slower that I had expected. It's not agonizing, mind you, but my 2009 Sony blu-ray player is faster
(*) Light-colored patches on dark scenes due to backlight bleed (at least on my set) as delivered, but wiping over the screen with light pressure solved that
(*) Decent but not great handling of ambient light. The screen diffuses it and creates a sort of haze over the picture if your room is bright at all. I've honestly gotten used to it after just a week, so it's not a deal breaker for me, but I wanted to mention it

Other:
(*) Unless I'm missing something, it can't play as many types of files from an attached USB drive (or WiFi media streamer) as can my 2009 Sony blu-ray player. While it can play MKV files, so far I can only get stereo sound from it versus full DTS or Dolby Digital on the blu-ray player. Also, this Sony doesn't seem to be able to recognize folders, so all of the files have to be in the top directory
(*) If you have young kids or energetic pets, give some serious thought to securing it because the included stand doesn't keep it very steady if it gets knocked

In summary, I think this TV is definitely worth considering. It's not the best picture out there, but it's pretty darn good once you get it adjusted, and the set has a number of other positive aspects (like being completely silent and having decent "smart" features).

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Solid review and best single tip I have read about fixing the little problem areas on the screen. I actually had what I thought was a tiny light bleed spot on the bottom left of my new 4k Sony, took the microfiber cloth ran over it a little, and wala...gone GREAT TIP!

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad that it worked! I forget where I read that tip, but it worked for me. I still need to smooth out some subtle streaks, but it's MUCH better than it was at first.

J

JPH

Audiophyte
I was wondering if anyone has experience using a soundbar with this TV. I'm using a Sonos Playbar and two smaller Sonos Play1 speakers for surround sound. It sounds great... for a little while. Then, for whatever reason, the TV notifies me that it's switching back to TV speakers for sound output. It's easy enough to switch back using the remote, but it's annoying (and my wife isn't impressed :)

Any insights? Similar experiences?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, JPH!

How do you have your Sonos speakers hooked up? Are you using the analog or digital audio output? I have my Sony connected to my Pioneer receiver using the optical audio output, and I've never gotten that notification or had it switch back to the internal speakers.

J

JPH

Audiophyte
Hi Adam -

Thanks for the quick reply. My Playbar is hooked up the same way as your receiver - optical audio output. It's the only connection option for my speaker. I've checked the Sonos website and Sony forums for similar experiences but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm going to move it to another TV and see if I have the same issue... I'll follow up if I come to a resolution that's worth sharing!

A

alucy0210

Audiophyte
Thanks for your review. I'm looking for new LED TV.

E

EastonS

Audiophyte
Just bought this TV a few days ago. I'm really enjoying it now that I've made some of the recommended tweaks.

I have one question that I can not seem to find an answer to: How do you access 'game mode'? I've read several places while researching this TV that it has a game mode, but no mention of how to actually turn on/access this mode. I do not see it mentioned at all in the manual.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! Let me check that out tonight and get back to you. I've never tried it myself, but I have a PS3, so I can hook up the controller to it.

E

EastonS

Audiophyte
Thanks, glad to be here.

BTW, I'm not asking about the "Playstation Now App", just a mode that is for playing any video games on the 630B.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked around in the menus a bit, and "Game" is one of the picture "Scene" choices. With that scene mode, the "Display Speed Preference" in the "Advanced" picture options is set to "Yes." There might be other differences with that "Game" scene mode, but that's the option that caught my attention. I haven't tried many scene modes, but that "Display Speed Preference" seems to be set by the scene mode and not changeable by the user.

Henry Howards

Henry Howards

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, Adam, for your well written and very helpful review of the Sony 630B. Like you, I was a satisfied owner of the Samsung F8500 plasma. Unfortunately its panel went bad, and replacement panels are no longer available for that discontinued model. I tried buying two different 4K LCD TVs as substitutes for the plasma, but I soon returned both of them for a refund. The inconvenient truth about most 4K sets is their lackluster upscaling. If your program material is primarily 1080p, the image will usually look WORSE on a 4K set than it does on a 1080p TV. Eventually I decided to buy the LG EG9100 OLED, which the Rtings review site lists as their top choice among all 1080p models. The OLED has many excellent qualities, including near-perfect off-axis viewing and good screen uniformity, though I will say that the LG is probably inferior to many Sony models in terms of video processing and motion handling. The Sony 630B wasn't yet available when I purchased the OLED, but I notice that Rtings appraises the 630B as the BEST of all 1080p LCD models (and it can be bought for about HALF the price of the EG9100). Rtings evaluated the 630B as 9.8-out-of-10 for motion handling -- which makes me wonder if I might have been happier, overall, with the Sony compared to the OLED (!) I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 630B in regards to video processing and motion handling. Thanks again.

Last edited:
T

TVCan

Audiophyte
Just curious to know if anyone knows if it's possible to add Google Play or KODI to the KDL60W630B?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis