Monoprice Powered Monitors?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, this connection would work with the 305s and pretty much every professional studio monitor out there.

If I had to get some inexpensive near-field speakers, I might just swing for some 305s. I would bet they would be significantly better than the monoprice monitors. Another great choice was mentioned above, the Behringer Truth series. I have measured the Behringer Truth 2031p, and here is the horizontal polar plot I measured: this is an outstanding measurement.

I am not too sure I would swing for used studio monitors, by the way. Pro-audio stuff are not usually babied like stuff people personally own and have cared for.

One more thing, whatever desktop speaker you settle on, if you want a nice sound, don't actually rest it on the desktop. This can create a peakish response from the acoustic reflection off the desktop itself. Do what you see studios do, raise the speakers. This is a good example:

but try to get the tweeter at ear level. It does not hurt to have the speaker upside down, in fact it would be better to get woofers away from the desktop. Do a google image search for recording studio monitors or something like that, and look how they have their speakers situated; it's never resting directly on the desk or console.
Thanks a bunch Shady. You have given me a lot to think about, as well as, read up on. Like I said, I am a bit out of my element when comes to powered monitors/studio monitors. Maybe the 305's would be a better fit for me until I do much more research. Certainly something to chew on. Really appreciate it. That is why I asked here first and foremost.

Cheers,

Phil

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I haven't heard the monoprice nor the jbl but I have heard the Behringers and they have outstanding sound quality for the price point they sell for. One reason is that they basicly are copy of Genelec monitors that cost 2k$. Genelec has some of best speakers I have heard, only cons with Genelec is price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't heard the monoprice nor the jbl but I have heard the Behringers and they have outstanding sound quality for the price point they sell for. One reason is that they basicly are copy of Genelec monitors that cost 2k$. Genelec has some of best speakers I have heard, only cons with Genelec is price.
My understanding is that the Behringer Truth monitors are knockoffs of the old Mackie HR monitors.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Phil, sorry for your troubles! I bought an LSR-305 ($130) to use as a powered speaker with my table top shortwave radios - it was great - especially after adding a Behringer MX-400 4ch mixer ($24). Skip ahead to last fall when I bought a second one (sale - $99!), re-purposed my TRS cables from the mixer and an adapter to my PC's sound card and voila - killer PC speakers! I have them 'on' all the time and plugged into an outlet box I can flip on when I want sound (No ground loop induced hum at these signal levels. The computer is fed by a UPS from the same duplex outlet.). They have the same inputs, TRS & XLR, but have both HF & LF trim controls as well as selectable input sensitivity, which differentiates them from the Monoprice. You might like the low end better on them, too - as well as the price ($200/pr vs now $300/pr for the JBL's.) They are a lot bigger than the JBL's, too. Both are rear-ported, so besides off the desk, they'll need 8+" between their back and a wall. Good luck!

BTW, did you eat all of those candy bars? I know how bad they are for a diabetic... I had German chocolate b'day (I'm 68!) cake yesterday... so tempting...

My age may be causal for some HF losses - likely too much Clapton and gunfire. At any rate, I enjoy the dispersion of horn HF speakers (Klipsch) and the JBL LSR-305's 'waveguide' alike... they sound plenty bright to me. I haven't heard the Monoprice, but most folks like them - some more than my JBL's!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, I will take another look at them. Thanks for recommending them. Will do some reading and go from there. The monos are making me a bit uneasy. Think that I am going to cancel my order for them.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, sorry for your troubles! I bought an LSR-305 ($130) to use as a powered speaker with my table top shortwave radios - it was great - especially after adding a Behringer MX-400 4ch mixer ($24). Skip ahead to last fall when I bought a second one (sale - $99!), re-purposed my TRS cables from the mixer and an adapter to my PC's sound card and voila - killer PC speakers! I have them 'on' all the time and plugged into an outlet box I can flip on when I want sound (No ground loop induced hum at these signal levels. The computer is fed by a UPS from the same duplex outlet.). They have the same inputs, TRS & XLR, but have both HF & LF trim controls as well as selectable input sensitivity, which differentiates them from the Monoprice. You might like the low end better on them, too - as well as the price ($200/pr vs now $300/pr for the JBL's.) They are a lot bigger than the JBL's, too. Both are rear-ported, so besides off the desk, they'll need 8+" between their back and a wall. Good luck!

BTW, did you eat all of those candy bars? I know how bad they are for a diabetic... I had German chocolate b'day (I'm 68!) cake yesterday... so tempting...

My age may be causal for some HF losses - likely too much Clapton and gunfire. At any rate, I enjoy the dispersion of horn HF speakers (Klipsch) and the JBL LSR-305's 'waveguide' alike... they sound plenty bright to me. I haven't heard the Monoprice, but most folks like them - some more than my JBL's!
Yeah, I think that I am leaning more towards the 305's. Concerned about a ground loop hum given I reside in an apartment. Also sure my desk top has a very cheap sound card as it is certainly not a higher end model. Really don't need a ton of bass either. Articulation is much more important to me. Sounds like the JBL's will do the trick. Thanks so much for your kind words and advice. BTW, the candy bars were moved into my BR. I do eat a few every once in a while, but I really don't eat them too much.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@speakerman39 Just to sow further confusion, I will say that occasionally Monoprice gets it right. Since no one here has actually heard those monitors, we can't say with any certainty that they're any better or worse than the lsr305 or Behringer or Mackie offerings. They could actually be a find.
Thanks man for the read. It was very interesting. From what I have garnered the monos are a knock off of M-Audio powered monitors. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. But, they sure look a lot a like. So, what should I do here? Cancel the monos and order the JBL 305's or the Behringer truth Monitors? The Behringers look rather promising, but also a little more expensive. Just trying to make the right choice here.

Cheers,

Phil

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks man for the read. It was very interesting. From what I have garnered the monos are a knock off of M-Audio powered monitors. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. But, they sure look a lot a like. So, what should I do here? Cancel the monos and order the JBL 305's or the Behringer truth Monitors? The Behringers look rather promising, but also a little more expensive. Just trying to make the right choice here.

Cheers,

Phil
Does Monoprice offer free returns? I say don't be afraid to screw up if there's a safety net in place. Otherwise, If Monoprice doesn't cover return shipping, then go with an Amazon offering first since they do.

You know, I also saw an Alesis offering on Amazon which has a USB interface. Might solve your cable choice concerns.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Does Monoprice offer free returns? I say don't be afraid to screw up if there's a safety net in place. Otherwise, If Monoprice doesn't cover return shipping, then go with an Amazon offering first since they do.

You know, I also saw an Alesis offering on Amazon which has a USB interface. Might solve your cable choice concerns.
Not really sure but will look into it. Right now kind of rocking out on youtube....LOL!!!! Not much on tv so I thought why not rock it! Will also look into Alesis because I like the usb idea. Thanks once again for the heads up!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It seems like you're strongly leaning toward LSR305. I never heard em, but I own and very proud of it's predecessor: lsr2325p. If they are similar in performance, then it should be great speaker.
Few people mentioned external DAC. I can 100% confirm that - you don't have to by an expensive one, but at the least something like Monoprice DAC/amp is probably going to work fine and also can be used to power your new phones.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It seems like you're strongly leaning toward LSR305. I never heard em, but I own and very proud of it's predecessor: lsr2325p. If they are similar in performance, then it should be great speaker.
Few people mentioned external DAC. I can 100% confirm that - you don't have to by an expensive one, but at the least something like Monoprice DAC/amp is probably going to work fine and also can be used to power your new phones.
I think that you are right in that I am leaning more towards the 305's. Which DAC/amp do you recommend? Rather get the DAC/amp from amazon since I will ordering the 305's from there. Looking forward to the JBL S500 headphones.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For preamps, here is an inexpensive Behringer that will do the trick.

Here is a Lexicon with balanced outputs if you want a really solid connection.

If I were you, I would shop around for a deal on one of the Behringer U-Phoria lines like the UMC22, but Amazon has them at very high prices at the moment.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can get U-Phoria UM2s for $30 and UMC22s for $40, but not at amazon. You have to look for those prices. Full Compass has the UMC22 for $40, this is better than anyone else- this one has balanced TRS outputs, which is why I suggested it. The UM2 has RCA outputs, that isn't as good but it probably won't make a difference in your setup, unless you run the cable next to a bunch of power lines. I don't see it in stock anywhere for $30 at the moment, but its a good little preamp, I have one myself. I would go for the UMC22 since it is in stock at a good price at the moment. I have done business with Full Compass, btw, and they are on the level.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You can get U-Phoria UM2s for $30 and UMC22s for $40, but not at amazon. You have to look for those prices. Full Compass has the UMC22 for $40, this is better than anyone else- this one has balanced TRS outputs, which is why I suggested it. The UM2 has RCA outputs, that isn't as good but it probably won't make a difference in your setup, unless you run the cable next to a bunch of power lines. I don't see it in stock anywhere for $30 at the moment, but its a good little preamp, I have one myself. I would go for the UMC22 since it is in stock at a good price at the moment. I have done business with Full Compass, btw, and they are on the level.
Thanks Shady as I will read up on the UMC22 more. It is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay folks I managed to cancel my order of the 8" Monoprice Powered Monitors this morning. That being said, have done some reading up on both the JBL 305's and the Behringer Truth Monitors. Also, checked out the Rockit 5's. As such, I am considering any of the three. But, I also am now considering the Emotiva Powered Monitors.

So my question is how much better would the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S be when compared to the 305's/Truths/Rockit 5's? Furthermore, would it be worth an extra $100 to get the Airmotiv 6S instead of the 5S? Keep in mind that I have never heard or owned a speaker with a ribbon tweeter. But, it seems that many prefer them to dome tweeters. Really don't need a ton of bass, but I do need it to be as articulate as possible. In short, out of all of these mentioned which would be the best way to go? I am leaning heavily towards either the Airmotiv 5S's or the 6S's.

Whichever way I go the said speakers will see a lot of daily use. Musicality is a must. Reference volume levels are NOT needed. But, I do want to rock out every now and then. Lastly, Emotiva has this DAC:

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/dacs/little-ego

Is this DAC any better than any of those that Shady has linked? If so, then why is it? Very new to all of this powered monitors stuff. Once again, I need some guidance. Don't mind spending a little more if it is going to be worth it. Otherwise, the 305's is the way that I will probably go. I admit, the ribbon tweeters have my full attention.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Okay folks I managed to cancel my order of the 8" Monoprice Powered Monitors this morning. That being said, have done some reading up on both the JBL 305's and the Behringer Truth Monitors. Also, checked out the Rockit 5's. As such, I am considering any of the three. But, I also am now considering the Emotiva Powered Monitors.

So my question is how much better would the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S be when compared to the 305's/Truths/Rockit 5's? Furthermore, would it be worth an extra $100 to get the Airmotiv 6S instead of the 5S? Keep in mind that I have never heard or owned a speaker with a ribbon tweeter. But, it seems that many prefer them to dome tweeters. Really don't need a ton of bass, but I do need it to be as articulate as possible. In short, out of all of these mentioned which would be the best way to go? I am leaning heavily towards either the Airmotiv 5S's or the 6S's.

Whichever way I go the said speakers will see a lot of daily use. Musicality is a must. Reference volume levels are NOT needed. But, I do want to rock out every now and then. Lastly, Emotiva has this DAC:

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/dacs/little-ego

Is this DAC any better than any of those that Shady has linked? If so, then why is it? Very new to all of this powered monitors stuff. Once again, I need some guidance. Don't mind spending a little more if it is going to be worth it. Otherwise, the 305's is the way that I will probably go. I admit, the ribbon tweeters have my full attention.

Cheers,

Phil
I don't think the Emo is a classic ribbon tweeter, rather it is a folded ribbon (i.e. a Heil Transducer).

However, I have been a fan of the Heil AMT design since hearing it in my GE T2.

It may be worth giving Emo a call to see if they have any unadvertised B stock available.

You know, the JBL or the Behringers, those are just known performers for the $. These models or the predecessors to these models have been around a very long time. What I'm saying is that these are the safe bet and you will almost certainly not be disappointed. I really doubt that you would be disappointed in the Emo either.

As far as the Rockits, those are just about ubiquitous due to the fact that they are fairly cheap and fairly good. They do have a reputation for a bit of added / exaggerated bass, so keep that in mind.

If you have local Guitar Center, it might be worth going in there to see if they have any used gear, demo gear, or sales. They tend to be a pretty good resource for a studio monitor.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think the Emo is a classic ribbon tweeter, rather it is a folded ribbon (i.e. a Heil Transducer).

However, I have been a fan of the Heil AMT design since hearing it in my GE T2.

It may be worth giving Emo a call to see if they have any unadvertised B stock available.

You know, the JBL or the Behringers, those are just known performers for the $. These models or the predecessors to these models have been around a very long time. What I'm saying is that these are the safe bet and you will almost certainly not be disappointed. I really doubt that you would be disappointed in the Emo either.

As far as the Rockits, those are just about ubiquitous due to the fact that they are fairly cheap and fairly good. They do have a reputation for a bit of added / exaggerated bass, so keep that in mind.

If you have local Guitar Center, it might be worth going in there to see if they have any used gear, demo gear, or sales. They tend to be a pretty good resource for a studio monitor.
Thanks for the info. The Behringer Truth Monitors are $300 a set w/a 3-year warranty. The Airmotiv 5S is $100 more, but it employs the AMT and a full 5-year warranty. So, it seems to me that would be the better way to go. Perhaps, even going with the Airmotiv 6S. Not to mention that I am really not that far from Nashville if I ever need warranty. As such, shipping should NOT be too bad. Just curious about the DAC Emotiva is selling for $99. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis