a good pair of headphones under 200$

N

nnair

Audiophyte
hi everyone!
nitesh nair here. im new here, so be soft on me. came to know about it when i was searching for Audio technica ATH M50. can anyone help me in buying a good pair of headphones under 200$? ive heard a lot about ATH M50. are they really that good? and are they only for audio monitoring purpose or can i use them with my phone? i have an hTc one. currently im using bose ae2's and ie2. im not that satisfied with ae2's. considering the price the build quality is not that great, its very comfortable though. one of the most comfortable ive ever used. the audio quality is poor,everything just rumbles in the ear.highs are too sharp and in your face, bass is quite accurate but could have been more precise at lows. anyways. please help.

L

lallygagging

Audioholic Intern
I have the ATH M50. I have had them for quite awhile. I think they are very good... especially for the money. I know you can spend a lot of money and I am sure there are phones that are extraordinary. But I am not really into listening much with headphones, so I am quite happy with these. They were somewhat tight fitting to begin with but loosened up nicely over time and now they are very comfortable.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'd be tempted to pick up a pair of AKG K550s; they get great reviews.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be tempted to pick up a pair of AKG K550s; they get great reviews.
Do keep in mind that AKG moved production for MOST lines to china, so far only most expensive models have been spared (yet) and these are : K702 65 Anniv Edition and K712 Pro.
Not sure about new K8xxx series, they could be Austrian made...

Personally, It's irks me to pay over $200 for Chinese made headphones...

I would not recommend ATH-M50 due to being too bassy and not nearly accurate as some other options at this price. but I there are plenty of fans of too much bass in headphones....
Imo Even in my K712 Pro's a minor +3db bass boost is unneeded

N

nnair

Audiophyte
guys thanks a lot for the help but could you guys elaborate a bit..can you suggest me some??may be 4-5 headphones to choose from.

N

nnair

Audiophyte
guys if you could reply?? i really need to buy one asap.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Describe chocolate for me. Will I like it?

Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Headphones, like speakers, depend mostly on personal preferences so much more than sharing ones personal experience and opinions are as good as it gets. No amount of written words will be able to tell you if you ike them or not.

YourDhass

YourDhass

Audioholic Intern
I have the ATH M50 and i think they are great. you cant go wrong with them. dont stress too much dude, anything you buy from the above options you're going to be happy with

jinjuku

jinjuku

The ATH 50's are a solid offering and tend to lead the pack at ~$150. I have a pair along with the AKG 701's.

I use the ATH 50's for listening to movies at night, the AKG's for music.

Hope that helps. You need to try a few in your price range and order from a place that you can return them too. I use Amazon.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
German Maestro -
GMP 8.35 D Monitor (mobile). For the price, accuracy in these is extremely difficult to beat.

Sorry - I just noticed the price point was under $200. The phones suggested above go for $250 or so (shipped) depending on the retailer. Uh, I also noted the the thread was really old! :oops:

Last edited:
Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I would look into the Grado line of headphones. All Grado do is headphones and phono cartridges so they specialize in these areas of audio. They are extremely neutral sounding. Clean highs and above all else, neutral sounding (Non boomy) bass.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
To me, headphones made for home recording studios are the best bang for the buck. I bought some Audio Technica headphones for me and a different set for my son. We both really like them. The ATH M50 should be a good buy. Peace and goodwill.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Did you guys notice that you posted in over 2 years old topic?

R

rooneymario

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

I am shopping for a pair of headphones $200 or under. I really can't go past that. I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly blues, jazz blues, classic rock and jazz. I want a good all around headphone. I do not like very 'bassey' headphones, my thinking is if the developer intended there to be a lot of bass, he would have put more in. Comfort is also a big factor for me. So far I am considering the:

Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Sennheiser hd 598 (I found them for under $200)

and the Beyerdynamic dt-880 pro (I also found those for under 200)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys,

I am shopping for a pair of headphones $200 or under. I really can't go past that. I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly blues, jazz blues, classic rock and jazz. I want a good all around headphone. I do not like very 'bassey' headphones, my thinking is if the developer intended there to be a lot of bass, he would have put more in. Comfort is also a big factor for me. So far I am considering the:

Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Sennheiser hd 598 (I found them for under $200)

and the Beyerdynamic dt-880 pro (I also found those for under 200)
Don't bother with ATH---very much over-rated in my opinion, and specifically there is something in the mid-bass region that is "not right". I think a lot of reviewers mistake that for "good bass response". After I bought my Senn 598, I sold my M50x.

Senn 598 are awesome! But, they do not dig as deep as many other cans. In general, I prefer my AKG 845BT phones overall (and yes, the BT function sounds good). That brings up another brand for you--AKG. Personally, I've really been looking at the Quincy Jones versions lately.

I have no experience with any Beyers, but several members here own them and love them.

Also, check out RBH. If this was my $200 budget and I needed a set of cans, I would probably buy these today, but I have not heard them. I do have 2 sets of the RBH BT ear buds and they are fantastic. And, RBH customer service is unbeatable.

https://rbhsound.com/hp2.php

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis