Monoprice Powered Monitors?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I plan to order a set of Powered Monitors for my desk top. That way I can still listen to some music when I feel the need. Been thinking about the JBL 305's, but found these on sale:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=605800

Got these for $212 shipped. They are bigger than the JBL 305's, but most all of the user reviews are very good. The thing is, I know very little about powered monitors and/or studio monitors. Did I make the right call here? Would I be better off just getting the 305's as I had originally planned? One reviewer said that he was selling his 305's because he liked these better. Any others that I need to consider in the $200-$300 price range? Any and all help would be most appreciated. Has anyone owned the monoprice powered monitors?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh almost forgot but what cables/adapters will I need to connect the monoprice powered monitors to my desk top? I have no clue whatsoever. Would like to use the single audio out on my computer that is connected to my Logitech speakers I am using now. Would the cables/adapters be the same for the 305's as well? Sorry guys, but I am a bit lost here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone? Man, this is not a good sign....LOL!!! Got me kind of concerned here. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
speakerman, sorry if I have to blunt, but you're full of crap. First you want sell all of your A/V equipment due to financial troubles and now you're looking to buy more?
Something doesn't add up.
If you want something to get you by - get a headphones. I got these on $80 sale.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A
I promise you - they sound much better than any monoprice speakers.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
speakerman, sorry if I have to blunt, but you're full of crap. First you want sell all of your A/V equipment due to financial troubles and now you're looking to buy more?
If you want something to get you by - get a headphones. I got these on $80 sale.
Whoa, set phasers to stun, BSA. He liquidated equipment he was very proud of, and now he's after a set of active monitors so he doesn't have to settle for computer speakers or a sound bar. I don't think he's out to deceive anyone. He just sold a Denon AVR-X4000 for $325. I can't imagine anyone doing that unless in extraordinary circumstances.

You make a great point about quality headphones though.

FWIW, @slipperybidness liked his Mackie CR3's, and thought they were exceptional for the money. Amazon has them for $100. Or the CR4's with 10Hz deeper extension are $150. Coupon code MISAVINGS knocks 20% off, bringing them down to $120. Plus the CR4's are available in a limited edition without that neon green accent.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks to me like is is an impulse shopper and maybe isn't good with money. Always buying and selling stuff to try the latest gadget. But whatever his budgetary problems are, they aren't any of our concern anyway. The Monoprice speakers, I dunno about. We need to see measurements. I would be skeptical of their off-axis response.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, really sorry that you feel this way about me. But, one thing that I have learned about life is people are always going to think what they want. The thing is though, YOU don't know what really is going on in my personal life. Which means YOU do NOT have all of the facts. But, it is okay as I have thick skin. So, go ahead and think what you will.

Yes, I sold all of my gear. Does that mean I stop living? Maybe I still want and need to listen to my music. That is EXACTLY what I intend to do. This thread is about finding out more about the Monoprice powered Monitors. Nothing more nothing less. BTW, not out to deceive anyone either. By selling off my gear I am now be able to ease some of the my financial pressures. Hopefully, it will ease some of the stress as well.

I am sure those headphones that you linked are good ones. However, I have ordered a set of refurbished JBL S500 headphones that Joe (Afterlife) recommended to me. They will be here late next week. Not sure about the Monoprice powered Monitors. I don't even know what cables/adapters I need to connect them to my Desk Top. Hence, that is why I opened this thread. Was going to get the JBL 305's but found the Monoprice Monitors at a good price w/free shipping. So, I pounced. What's wrong with that?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Whoa, set phasers to stun, BSA. He liquidated equipment he was very proud of, and now he's after a set of active monitors so he doesn't have to settle for computer speakers or a sound bar. I don't think he's out to deceive anyone. He just sold a Denon AVR-X4000 for $325. I can't imagine anyone doing that unless in extraordinary circumstances.

You make a great point about quality headphones though.

FWIW, @slipperybidness liked his Mackie CR3's, and thought they were exceptional for the money. Amazon has them for $100. Or the CR4's with 10Hz deeper extension are $150. Coupon code MISAVINGS knocks 20% off, bringing them down to $120. Plus the CR4's are available in a limited edition without that neon green accent.
Yes, that is exactly my point in getting the Monoprice Powered Monitors. Hated to sell off all of my gear like that. But, at least I can pay some of my debts down and get out of the whole that I dug myself into. Bought the monos because I have to have some kind of outlet. Music gives me just that. Have also ventured into headphones lately. That is all new to me though. Think that the JBL S500's will suffice. Thanks for the recommendations. Do you know by chance what cables/adapters that I will need to connect the monos to my desktop? Have not ordered said cables/adapters just yet because I do not know what to get?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks to me like is is an impulse shopper and maybe isn't good with money. Always buying and selling stuff to try the latest gadget. But whatever his budgetary problems are, they aren't any of our concern anyway. The Monoprice speakers, I dunno about. We need to see measurements. I would be skeptical of their off-axis response.
Actually I am quite the opposite. But, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. BTW, could not find much of anything on the Monoprice Monitors. The user reviews were all good. So, I thought that I would take a chance. Trying to figure out what cables and/or adapters that are going to be needed for me to connect them to my desktop. Do you happen to know? This is one of the main reason(s) I opened this thread.

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, really sorry that you feel this way about me. But, one thing that I have learned about life is people are always going to think what they want. The thing is though, YOU don't know what really is going on in my personal life. Which means YOU do NOT have all of the facts. But, it is okay as I have thick skin. So, go ahead and think what you will.

Yes, I sold all of my gear. Does that mean I stop living? Maybe I still want and need to listen to my music. That is EXACTLY what I intend to do. This thread is about finding out more about the Monoprice powered Monitors. Nothing more nothing less. BTW, not out to deceive anyone either. By selling off my gear I am now be able to ease some of the my financial pressures. Hopefully, it will ease some of the stress as well.

I am sure those headphones that you linked are good ones. However, I have ordered a set of refurbished JBL S500 headphones that Joe (Afterlife) recommended to me. They will be here late next week. Not sure about the Monoprice powered Monitors. I don't even know what cables/adapters I need to connect them to my Desk Top. Hence, that is why I opened this thread. Was going to get the JBL 305's but found the Monoprice Monitors at a good price w/free shipping. So, I pounced. What's wrong with that?

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, Let me start by saying is you are right. I don't have all the facts. I don't know what motivates you or your financial issues. I think that ShadyJ is correct. You actions (not your words) seem to indicate very much of impulse buys and rush liquidations indicate of inadequate long term financial planning. You did mentioned your health suddenly deteriorated, but some of the comments you've made me think that you could've reduced some of the impact by having better control of your diet.

About headphones: I own more good phones than AF(Joe) - go ahead and ask him. So I know a thing or two. But if you already ordered something - then by all means enjoy them.

Coming from very high quality speakers like Taylor and JBL (530s - even LSR305 would not be really close to ether.

I understand than you still like music, but even without hard data or any evidence what so ever, I have zero trust in Monoprice ability to bring high quality speakers, and b) it's harder to make 8" driver sound good than 5" one.

If I had scraps for budget today, I'd buy pair of Philharmonic AA speakers ($200+ship) and 2nd hand $50-100 receiver. It will sound better than these Monoprice. Willing to bet on it.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Do you know by chance what cables/adapters that I will need to connect the monos to my desktop? Have not ordered said cables/adapters just yet because I do not know what to get?

Cheers,

Phil
That's a good question. Your cheapest option would be just to get a 3.5mm TRS -> dual 1/4" TS cable (more commonly called a "stereo breakout cable") and peel both channels apart as far as you need, placing each speaker max 10 feet from your PC. (Also available a little nicer quality without having to pad your order over $25.) Make sure the speakers and the PC are plugged into the same AC circuit to avoid a ground loop.

But those monitors have balanced inputs, and your sound card output is unbalanced. Ultimately, that means your PC's sound card isn't putting out as much voltage as the speakers are expecting, so the speakers could be lacking in volume. If that's the case, you might need a balanced / unbalanced converter and XLR cables in whatever length you wish. Or Peavey makes a USB sound card with balanced XLR outs.

You might think that TS cables wouldn't work when the jacks are labeled as expecting a TRS plug. But the R in TRS carries audio from a second channel -- not needed when plugging into a single channel speaker.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's a good question. Your cheapest option would be just to get a 3.5mm TRS -> dual 1/4" TS cable and peel both channels apart as far as you need, placing each speaker max 10 feet from your PC. (Also available a little nicer quality without having to pad your order over $25.)

But those monitors have balanced inputs, and your sound card output is unbalanced. Ultimately, that means your PC's sound card isn't putting out as much voltage as the speakers are expecting, so the speakers could be lacking in volume. If that's the case, you might need a balanced / unbalanced converter and XLR cables in whatever length you wish.

You might think that TS cables wouldn't work when the jacks are labeled as expecting a TRS plug. But the R in TRS carries audio from a second channel -- not needed when plugging into a single channel speaker.
Onboard sound from computers can often have a lot of leaked RF noise and sound pretty bad, especially with cheapo 1/8" jacks. If the sound output on the computer is just a stereo 1/8" from the motherboard, it would be a good idea to get a breakout sound interface as well as some XLR or TRS cables. I would go for one of these Behringer UMC22 fr the balanced outputs, and then get some 1/4" TRS cables to either TRS or XLR tipped. Make sure the cables are male-to-male tipped, like these.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, Let me start by saying is you are right. I don't have all the facts. I don't know what motivates you or your financial issues. I think that ShadyJ is correct. You actions (not your words) seem to indicate very much of impulse buys and rush liquidations indicate of inadequate long term financial planning. You did mentioned your health suddenly deteriorated, but some of the comments you've made me think that you could've reduced some of the impact by having better control of your diet.

About headphones: I own more good phones than AF(Joe) - go ahead and ask him. So I know a thing or two. But if you already ordered something - then by all means enjoy them.

Coming from very high quality speakers like Taylor and JBL (530s - even LSR305 would not be really close to ether.

I understand than you still like music, but even without hard data or any evidence what so ever, I have zero trust in Monoprice ability to bring high quality speakers, and b) it's harder to make 8" driver sound good than 5" one.

If I had scraps for budget today, I'd buy pair of Philharmonic AA speakers ($200+ship) and 2nd hand $50-100 receiver. It will sound better than these Monoprice. Willing to bet on it.
Well, it certainly would not hurt if I lost a few pounds. However, I have been doing really well until here recently. Had a few setbacks both in my health AND in my finances. Of course, both impacted each other spiraling down to zero. So, changes had to be made. Selling my gear off is just ONE of those changes.

Never once doubted you regarding headphones. To be honest, I have never been a headphone guy. Joe recommended the Philips I got a few months ago. Kurt liked them too and they were cheap! Glad that I bought them as I am still using them as we speak.

I live upstairs where I live. My apartment is directly above the apartment manager. Lately, she has been complaining about my music. But, not from my S1500's no no no but because of my Logitech sub! Yeah, it is hard to believe. I was told that little sub rocked her "entire" apartment. Then, she has asked me a few times lately not to play my music very loud. So, that is why I opted for powered monitors. They will be up on my desktop and NOT on the floor for near field listening. Hopefully, they will work well for me in all regards.

Yes, I have been very fortunate lately in that I have had some rather high end speakers right here in my living-room. Also, have learned a lot on the way. Basically, high end speakers need high end electronics, high end stands, and etc. to sound their very best. Just not enough gas in the tank for the Linbrooks. The Taylos basically fell into my lap after Ty took the Linbrooks back. Once again, the Taylos love power. Each Taylo weighed more than BOTH of my JBL 530's boxed up! In short, Phil does NOT have the means to get where he needs to be with regard to higher end speakers. Admittedly, I am NOT yet able to "Run w/the BIG Dogs" right now.

Selling the Ultras was certainly a BIG mistake. However, the JBL's were splendid. Especially, at the price that I got them for. But, one thing that has become clear here is that I am merely turning into a 2-channel type of guy. No need for any subs nor do I even care about HT. I am NOT a gamer and never will be. To me, it is ALL about music first and foremost. That is the direction that I am heading in as soon as I get out of this whole. That is, if I ever do. Luckily, I have a benefactor that has entered into my life. He has a plan for me and I trust it! I am down, but it does not say "Game Over " just yet.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's a good question. Your cheapest option would be just to get a 3.5mm TRS -> dual 1/4" TS cable (more commonly called a "stereo breakout cable") and peel both channels apart as far as you need, placing each speaker max 10 feet from your PC. (Also available a little nicer quality without having to pad your order over $25.) Make sure the speakers and the PC are plugged into the same AC circuit to avoid a ground loop.

But those monitors have balanced inputs, and your sound card output is unbalanced. Ultimately, that means your PC's sound card isn't putting out as much voltage as the speakers are expecting, so the speakers could be lacking in volume. If that's the case, you might need a balanced / unbalanced converter and XLR cables in whatever length you wish. Or Peavey makes a USB sound card with balanced XLR outs.

Oh brother that all sounds rather complicated. The JBL 305's just needed a simple cable. Read that over @AVS and the cable was like $6. Maybe I would be much better off going with the 305's, no? I prefer things simple....LOL!!!! Maybe I can cancel my order for the Monos. Good idea?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Onboard sound from computers can often have a lot of leaked RF noise and sound pretty bad, especially with cheapo 1/8" jacks. If the sound output on the computer is just a stereo 1/8" from the motherboard, it would be a good idea to get a breakout sound interface as well as some XLR or TRS cables. I would go for one of these Behringer UMC22 fr the balanced outputs, and then get some 1/4" TRS cables to either TRS or XLR tipped. Make sure the cables are male-to-male tipped, like these.
Shady would the JBL 305's be a little less complicated? I need simple...LOL!!! I planned on using my computer's speaker output or headphone out to connect the powered monitors. Looks like I got a lot of learning to do. At AVS most of the guys bought the 305's with a simple $6 cable is all that was needed. That is what I am trying to do here. I just have no experience with powered monitors and/or studio monitors of any kind. TRS/XLR is rather confusing. I am more like RCA's, HDMI, USB, and etc.....LOL!!!! Maybe I am better off with the 305's then, no?

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Its very simple. The 305s would not be less complicated than the Monoprice monitors.

If you want to go direct from the computer to the monitors and don't want a separate pre-amp, just get this cable or one just like it:

Hook that up from the computer audio jack straight into the back of the speakers. That is it, your are done.

But if follow my suggestion, get one of these:

and connect that to a USB plug on your computer. Install the Asio4all drivers on the product website on your computer. Then connect two 1/4" balanced TRS male-to-male cables, like these:

from the back of the Behringer pre-amp:

to the jacks in the back of the speaker. That method will give you a far lower noise floor than standard 1/8" stereo jacks on motherboards. And that is it, you are done, enjoy the music. Very simple.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Its very simple. The 305s would not be less complicated than the Monoprice monitors.

If you want to go direct from the computer to the monitors and don't want a separate pre-amp, just get this cable or one just like it:

Hook that up from the computer audio jack straight into the back of the speakers. That is it, your are done.

But if follow my suggestion, get one of these:

and connect that to a USB plug on your computer. Install the Asio4all drivers on the product website on your computer. Then connect two 1/4" balanced TRS male-to-male cables, like these:

from the back of the Behringer pre-amp:

to the jacks in the back of the speaker. That method will give you a far lower noise floor than standard 1/8" stereo jacks on motherboards. And that is it, you are done, enjoy the music. Very simple.
Thanks Shady for the info. So, this connection would also work for the 305's? Do you think that the 305's would be better than the monos? Better yet, which way would you go for something used near-filed and powered? Don't really need tons of bass, but prefer quality bass. I like a little volume at times, but nothing too extravagant. Any suggestions? These mono are making me a bit uncertain as BSA eluded to earlier. Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, this connection would work with the 305s and pretty much every professional studio monitor out there.

If I had to get some inexpensive near-field speakers, I might just swing for some 305s. I would bet they would be significantly better than the monoprice monitors. Another great choice was mentioned above, the Behringer Truth series. I have measured the Behringer Truth 2031p, and here is the horizontal polar plot I measured: this is an outstanding measurement.

I am not too sure I would swing for used studio monitors, by the way. Pro-audio stuff are not usually babied like stuff people personally own and have cared for.

One more thing, whatever desktop speaker you settle on, if you want a nice sound, don't actually rest it on the desktop. This can create a peakish response from the acoustic reflection off the desktop itself. Do what you see studios do, raise the speakers. This is a good example:

but try to get the tweeter at ear level. It does not hurt to have the speaker upside down, in fact it would be better to get woofers away from the desktop. Do a google image search for recording studio monitors or something like that, and look how they have their speakers situated; it's never resting directly on the desk or console.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis