Jdslabs Odac help... Im shoeless

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
So I am trying to overcome the dacs in my Yamaha rx-v679, (correct?). Like, they do 192 bit maximum.

Anyway, as you can see, I am clueless! Right now my source is musiccast, when I plug my pc in and stream 320kbps it doesn't sound any better.

I want to play as close to lossless as I can for as much music I can. I have no data or storage limitations. Guidance? Help? This is something I just do not undrstand. Thank you.

-Bret

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What are you streaming to? Which speaker? Another preamp? Does music cast stream in high bit rate or just 320kbs? Is the dac on the pc or other end? Very hard to tell with the info giving what your asking

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
I have no idea man. It is an Asus pt2001 pc I am trying to use via hdmi. What am I steaming to? I don't know, the receiver has WiFi, so I assume the receiver. It's spotify premium, however, I plan to get some .wav files. It's a 2.1 system, monitor 60 2's and an Hsu vtf-3 mk5hp. Thank you so much for the help.

I don't know what musiccast streams at. My understanding is that it doesn't matter since the dacs in the receiver support 192 bitrate max. I thought it played lossless but that makes no sense... Like I said no difference in musiccast vs direct hdmi from computer streaming 320kpbs.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have no idea man. It is an Asus pt2001 pc I am trying to use via hdmi. What am I steaming to? I don't know, the receiver has WiFi, so I assume the receiver. It's spotify premium, however, I plan to get some .wav files. It's a 2.1 system, monitor 60 2's and an Hsu vtf-3 mk5hp. Thank you so much for the help.

I don't know what musiccast streams at. My understanding is that it doesn't matter since the dacs in the receiver support 192 bitrate max. I thought it played lossless but that makes no sense... Like I said no difference in musiccast vs direct hdmi from computer streaming 320kpbs.
You're making a mistake in your bitness comparison. I think the spec you're trying to cite is 24-bit / 192kHz. 24-bit refers to the density of samples (basically the dynamic range), and 192kHz refers to the frequency range. CD quality is 16-bit/44.1kHz. The kHz value, divide that by 2 to get the max frequency reproduced at full volume. Does your hearing extend to 22kHz? Your dog might appreciate the 0-96kHz range of your Yamaha's DAC, but it's overkill for humans.

The stream value of 320kbits/sec is an MP3 thing. The higher the number, the less audio information was removed to shrink the file/stream size. That value would be different for an audio file or stream of the same quality but in a different encoding -- Ogg Vorbis or Apple MP4A or AAC. For MP3, that is a very high bitrate with inaudible lossiness. But it's not lossless (like FLAC or ALAC), nor is it in any way comparable to the 24/192 spec on your AVR. The value refers to the compression of the file -- not dynamic compression, but file compression. It doesn't refer to the dynamic range of the stream, but how much data is in one second of audio.

Last edited:
G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
Thank you, I learned a few things... I think. So the 192 bit is above CD 44.1 quality, correct? So you could play a .wav or flac file and there is no need for a seperate odac? Does a jds labs odac "defeat" the dac in the receiver?

G

goneriding11

Audioholic Intern
It sure did. Now I feel educated. So yea, no dac now. I thought this thing played flac etc. Files. I can re-read that article if I ever think I need one. But if I have lossless files, no noise and a receiver that can play lossless files then it's game over. Thank you rojo & everyone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis