Need suggestions on new avr for music

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, now, wait just-a cotton pick'n minute here, mister! :mad:

I use Kimber Kable and so does Gene.

They LOOK groovy. :D

Nothing wrong with buying pretty cables, is there? :D
Yes they are, after you showed me where to buy bulk, I picked those up on the cheap! Pretty Pretty Speaker Wires ;)

I also remember buying the high end monster cable interconnects for 150 a pair! when I bought my Anthem AVM30 back in the day...they were on sale!!...man I wish I found this site before I did.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Funny. I just offered that guy $15 for the 5200, and he accepted. It's going to go in the rec room since I moved the onkyo tx-sr876 into the living room.
Hey, if the remote successfully controls the volume, you might decide you prefer the Marantz in the living room. :)

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Hey, if the remote successfully controls the volume, you might decide you prefer the Marantz in the living room. :)
True. I think what hes saying is the volume motor is shoot.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I need suggestions on a musical audiophile jukebox type receiver that plays music.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Like a Wurlitzer jukebox? That's a tall order for your budget I think.

I guess get a Marantz sr series of some sort with net radio streaming and pretend it's a jukebox. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes they are, after you showed me where to buy bulk, I picked those up on the cheap! Pretty Pretty Speaker Wires ;)

I also remember buying the high end monster cable interconnects for 150 a pair! when I bought my Anthem AVM30 back in the day...they were on sale!!...man I wish I found this site before I did.
Oh yeah those were the early days. I remember buying expensive Kimber Kable, Audioquest, Monster. But my favorite was a pair of Vampire Wire locking interconnects. :D

Those bulk 10AWG Kimber Kable speaker cables are great. They cost about the same as wires from Emotiva, Outlaw, and other generic wires from eBay. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really lost on what the OP is looking for. Can't read between the lines. If it's a good avr, suggestions have been made.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Seems he is just looking for attention.
Nah...just having fun with lovinthehd's mental insatiablity.

However I do think I have settled on Anthem. Either mrx 300 or mrx500. Prices for used are in my budget, and I can't seem to find any problems or negative reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nah...just having fun with lovinthehd's mental insatiablity.

However I do think I have settled on Anthem. Either mrx 300 or mrx500. Prices for used are in my budget, and I can't seem to find any problems or negative reviews.

Inigo Montoya comes to mind. I forgot that boutique brands are more musical...especially smoothed out used ones!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But then I have been in the basement cooling off....

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
But then I have been in the basement cooling off....
Hey master! And anyone else....

Need your honest opinion. Would the Anthem mrx300 rated at 80 watts per channel be a good match to paradigm monitor 9s rated at 5-150watts?

Thanks

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Need your honest opinion. Would the Anthem mrx300 rated at 80 watts per channel be a good match to paradigm monitor 9s rated at 5-150watts?

Thanks

Paradigm Monitor 9 towers have a sensitivity of 88dB / 2.83v / m anechoic. 80 watts will get you ~110dB. That's as loud as a jackhammer, and will cause hearing loss in about 2 minutes. I'd say that's plenty.

By the way, your signature is like 3 feet long. Would you care to make it not be 3 feet long any more?

Last edited:
PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Paradigm Monitor 9 towers have a sensitivity of 88dB / 2.83v / m anechoic. 80 watts will get you ~110dB. That's as loud as a jackhammer, and will cause hearing loss in about 2 minutes. I'd say that's plenty.

By the way, your signature is like 3 feet long. Would you care to make it not be 3 feet long any more?
Thanks for the heads up on the signature.

Fyi.
Paradigm monitor 9s v.6 are 96db room/93db chamber.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think trying to match speakers and receivers smacks of Audiophoolery. There are just too many combinations and variables to make any sense of it. It is certainly possible there are unforseen interactions between speakers and output stages, but spotting them would be impossible.

I think the rule that if you don't like the your sound change your speakers always applies.

Paradigm speakers sound boomy and splashy to me. I think the top end rising response is easier to understand. The tweeter of your speakers has a nasty resonance well in the audible range. This resonance is so severe it drops the impedance to 3.3 ohms at 10 KHz. Impedance curves are among the best tools for spotting serious trouble. I would bet that resonance is bad enough to drop the impedance below the DC voice coil resistance of the tweeter, and therefore would out it in the severest category.

So, a good match receiver or amp would be one with significantly rolled off high frequencies. May be you need to look at tubes!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks

Now please get rid of the tapatalk ad....thanks for shrinking the sig, tho.

Silly way to "match" a speaker and amp with just a wattage spec.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis