Speaker for a 13x13 room

C

cloudbuster

Audioholic Intern
Hi the room is approximately 13'x13' ceiling 9' but is not exactly square one side have a open to a small hallway and is cut diagonally.
I think I would need sealed or front ported speaker as to the size of the room would make life easier but I am no expert here for advice.
I would buy a projector I will star a new topic on that later, along with all the other electronics.

I was planning on getting some speaker to try out but before I even star that I want to know if they would be extremely overkill for a room this size.

I am seriously consider
Ascend Sierra Towers RAAL front firing port
XTZ M6 speakers
Wharfedale Jade 7
HTD Level 3

if port direction is not and issue for this size room
Chane A5rx-c
Aperion Verus 2 grand towers
Emptek R55Ti

I would buy a few of them to try out and return the less pleasant, I might not buy all of them. just the ones I am considering.

Thank you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You simply do not need tower speakers in a room of that size. Save your money and get bookshelf speakers. You can not go wrong with Wharefedale Jades, and Ascend Sierras look solid. I would also be looking at Revel, Philharmonic, and Kef too. I would be looking at getting a sealed subwoofer or two. I would be looking at some Hsu ULS-15s or Rythmik F15 subwoofers. Their bass will be much superior to that of the tower speakers.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Rear ported speakers only need space (12"-18" is usually enough) from the rear wall. But I absolutely agree you'll do great things with bookshelf speakers and sub(s).

Due to the square shape of your room, try to add as many big, fluffy, blankets/pillows/couches whatever to tame the bass resonances that will naturally occur due to your room dimensions.

If that doesn't cut it, you may want corner absorption products.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seating position will also be important. You will have more room modes because of the square shape. You'll have to test it out and see what works best, along with treatments as mentioned.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would add that if you don't need big-time bass output, it might be worth looking at some SVS SB2000s or Rythmik L12s, but if you want that punch in the chest feeling, I would be looking at the Hsu ULS-15 mk2 or some of the heavier-duty sealed Rythmik subwoofers like the F15HP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis