Why no Yamaha Turntable?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The number of TTs on the market has definitely increased and the clear sign that it was doing well was Technics return to the market I think. The high end TT market never went away, nor did the used market. I wouldn't call it a passing fad yet, because it never really died, but I sort of don't think it will sustain. Music and the way we consume it really isn't the same since the iPod :( But it is about the music to me, not the format. I am FAR from saying all digital is the way; I LIKE analog :) All I am saying is, I don't think it is "the next big thing". I know hipsters aren't the only ones, they're just putting it in the spotlight.

Good source for a lot of good British vinyl. They're involved in a lot of those classic remasters and re-releases in conjunction with Steven Wilson and others.

https://burningshed.com/

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Hey J :)
Most of the indie scene is releasing both on vinyl and digital. Alot of the older groups such as Zep, Stones, Kinks, etc are releasing their anthology on new vinyl after having it remastered. The biggest selling new album last year or year before was Radiohead..and they have been around for a very long time. The number of artists releasing on vinyl is more than very few.

However, saying all that, I think too that its a niche market. How big this niche will become only time can tell. I also think that there enough turntable manufacturers out there to choose from. Technics jumped back into the frey when they rereleased/upgraded its much vaulted SL1200 and are asking a crazy price of 4K which its definitely not worth IHO. Yamaha manages its money better than most of the Japanese companies. My quess is that Yamaha is very aware of the growth in vinyl and are keeping their eyes open to see if and when it will enter the market.

I would also like to point out that every age group is experimenting with vinyl, not just hipsters. It spans multiple generations. :)

Have a good one.
To piggyback on the points in your last paragraph and your first paragraph in that order...every time i go vinyl shopping my 5 year old wants a record and that is how I know that even Katy Perry is on vinyl -- ugh.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To piggyback on the points in your last paragraph and your first paragraph in that order...every time i go vinyl shopping my 5 year old wants a record and that is how I know that even Katy Perry is on vinyl -- ugh.
I'm sorry *LOL* When my kids were young, it was Black Eyed Peas on CD ...*shudders from the artist..not the format *

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your information of track order appears to be out of date. They are identical for both the digital download and the vinyl medium. Most new releases will span two platters if required. As an example, grab Tom Petty's MOJO and you will find both vinyl and digital are identical in terms of sound and track order.
Probably, just remember reading of such way back when; while I can't remember what album it was I thought the sequence on the vinyl was meaningful until I read an article indicating for that specific album the group actually had a specific sequence in mind that wouldn't fit as well and the record company's decision won out. Didn't really blow my mind, though.....LOL probably gonna drive me nuts now trying to remember which one that was! How frequently it was done I have no idea....but nice to see that they're willing to add discs if needed, think some are even issued in 45rpm now. I might try one of those if the price is right. Reminds me of how we used to stack the multiple disc sets in the correct side order on the changer!

Not familiar with Tom Petty's MOJO but just put it my Spotify queue....haven't revisited Tom lately. I did work on some of his tours back in the day (late 70s)...good memories, they had a good crew to work with (I did some logistics work for them).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When all is said and done, the only ones that can answer the original question is Yamaha themselves, probably their marketing department where bean counters reign supreme. you know if they smell profit they would jump on it.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Maybe Yamaha doesn't see it as being profitable to retool or something along those lines? Or don't see the current fad continuing significantly, or perhaps waiting until there's more support on the vinyl production end?
I couldn't agree more, even though vinyl has resurrected, it really never died but I believe that companies don't believe there will be a big enough supply and demand with TT's, I enjoy vinyl more so than any other source, which I have close to 1000 vinyl records, there's alot of recordings on vinyl that hasn't been placed on cd and asked yourself do you think companies will transfer music from CD's, not being a sarcastic, to vinyl?, I don't think companies see marginal profit there...LOL

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't agree more, even though vinyl has resurrected, it really never died but I believe that companies don't believe there will be a big enough supply and demand with TT's, I enjoy vinyl more so than any other source, which I have close to 1000 vinyl records, there's alot of recordings on vinyl that hasn't been placed on cd and asked yourself do you think companies will transfer music from CD's, not being a sarcastic, to vinyl?, I don't think companies see marginal profit there...LOL
What did I say that you disliked my post? Every new vinyl album I ever bought came with either a flac or 320MP3 download coupon so people did not have to purchase a CD.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
What did I say that you disliked my post? Every new vinyl album I ever bought came with either a flac or 320MP3 download coupon so people did not have to purchase a CD.
I don't dislike your post, I don't disagree with you, just sharing my thoughts that's all, no harm intended, I was alittle upset when cd's came into play because a few of my favorite stores went under do to cds becoming into play, I now have to mail order albums...CHEERS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't dislike your post, I don't disagree with you, just sharing my thoughts that's all, no harm intended, I was alittle upset when cd's came into play because a few of my favorite stores went under do to cds becoming into play, I now have to mail order albums...CHEERS
Uh, actually you did, you are listed as the one marking his post with a "dislike".

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why would one want a Yamaha turntable? Or a Marantz motorcycle? (now that sounds marketing catchy! Ladies & Gents, introducing the all new Marantz Motosport Motorcycle!) :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When looking for a product, rather than asking why a certain company doesn't make what you want, why not just go to one that DOES and does it well?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I already know Yamaha's fame does not reside solely in motorcycles, what's the point of them making turntables in an already saturated market?
Just a strange way of making that point....especially since Yamaha made tts in what was pretty much an even more saturated market at the time.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Uh, actually you did, you are listed as the one marking his post with a "dislike".
Surely, that was a error on my part, My apologies, thank you for bringing that to my attention, I am here to share and to be enlightened and to give...my apologies...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surely, that was a error on my part, My apologies, thank you for bringing that to my attention, I am here to share and to be enlightened and to give...my apologies...
....just go back to post #5 and undo your dislike flag. I have inadvertently done so before myself!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Vinyl sales are increasing and will continue to do so. New pressing equipment is being manufactured, new labels are springing up so that is evidence that vinyl will continue to grow. I don't believe this is a fad. Vinyl will outlive the CD as a medium that I'm sure. However, I'm also realistic and I know it will never reach the levels it had before CD came to market.
I agreed with your post, touched the wrong response...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis