wanted, affordable monoblocks if there is such a thing lol :)

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Looking to feed more power to my sv6500's and the SV61 bookshelves. They are power hungry so I'd like to get that power sound without breaking my eardrums.

Sound so amazing cranked way up but my ears can't take much /of that so it is my understanding to feed them tons of power t get that performance without having to go so loud.

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Outlaw m2200 (I think I have the right model no.)
Emotiva has periodically had some for a pretty good price.
If those are too pricey, Parts Express sells one. I think it has the Dayton audio name on it, but it has a very good reputation and may be the best value of the lot!

Last edited:
Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Yes, the Dayton Audio are top of the list right now - but - a friend of mine brought me a carver 200wpc amp for a crazy good price, so if I can find it's brother, I'll be good.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You never know, a second may pass by tomorrow or it may be years.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So right now your current amplification drives it to extremely loud levels cleanly but you somehow expect more power in the amp to change that without playing yet louder? Or are you having issues at higher volume levels now? Why do you think monoblocks particularly are a solution?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sound so amazing cranked way up but my ears can't take much /of that so it is my understanding to feed them tons of power t get that performance without having to go so loud.
No, your understanding is misinformed. At lower levels you won't utilize tons of power; it simply goes unused. Also consider that at lower levels, our hearing is less sensitive to frequency extremes, so maybe try applying some loudness compensation eq.

Speaking of which, that Carver model you listed does not exist, but if you meant the TFM-24, be aware that the "TFM" stands for 'transfer function modification' or something equivalent; those amps are intentionally voiced to sound like a Marantz 8B tube amp, so they're not exactly neutral. (Since you seem to be looking for qualitative differences, that amp may be just the ticket.) I wouldn't advise bridging such amps.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd just buy a pro amp and be done with it. Doesn't look as cool as two mono blocks sitting next to each speaker, but will perform as good and for under 400 for most.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you think the advantage of more power will be other than the ability to go even louder?

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I don't think having a powerful amp will do anything to your sound. You'll be able to increase the volume a lot without clipping otherwise you will be pretty much in the same boat.

I would recommend a pro amp as well. They are cheaper and put out good power. Other wise, you will be looking at spending much more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis