Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi guys. I just recently upgraded my home theater setup and in the process have read dozens of reviews on various speakers and equipment. I've stumbled across this site several time in my searches and have watched quite a few videos by Gene and Hugo.

I love audio equipment and great sound, but like many, I'm on a budget. I just replaced some old B&W DM570's with DefTech Studio Monitor 55's, added a second Klipsch RPW 10 for subs and a CS-8040HD for my center. I already had promonitor 1000's for surround. All powered by a Denon S510BT.

I know I don't have top gear, but it's what I can afford for now. I picked up most of the stuff on ebay for some pretty good prices (got both SM 55's for 280 bucks).

Looking forward to participating and learning some more from you folks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Price doesn't guarantee the best performance. ;)

You can spend a lot less for a system that can sound a lot better (than some pricier systems). :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Price doesn't guarantee the best performance. ;)

You can spend a lot less for a system that can sound a lot better (than some pricier systems). :)
I'm assuming from your av name you're a DefTech fan? I know they don't always get a lot of love, but for the price I love their speakers. I might eventually get a more powerful avr and go for some towers in the future. For now I'm very happy with the sm 55's and dual sub combo.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Make yourself at home, the city of alcoholics has more knowledge...WELCOME

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sweet. I didn't know if I was gonna get hazed at first for my humble li'l setup. :p

Thanks for the kind replies guys. ima float around a little and see what catches my eye.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm assuming from your av name you're a DefTech fan? I know they don't always get a lot of love, but for the price I love their speakers. I might eventually get a more powerful avr and go for some towers in the future. For now I'm very happy with the sm 55's and dual sub combo.
I used to own Acurus amps & preamps and DefTech speakers. :)

The salient thing is that you love the sound of your system. That is the goal of every HT enthusiast.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't know if I was gonna get hazed at first for my humble li'l setup.
Nope. We'll save that for when you say:
> This is the best...
> Stuff made in that country is...
> My opinion is better than yours.
> My ears are better than yours.
> Anything is better for everyone because it's better for me.
> I'm an RBH dealer. (A little inside joke.)

OR

We get to know you and find you're just fun to play with.
(Just kidding.)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope. We'll save that for when you say:
> This is the best...
> Stuff made in that country is...
> My opinion is better than yours.
> My ears are better than yours.
> Anything is better for everyone because it's better for me.
> I'm an RBH dealer. (A little inside joke.)

OR

We get to know you and find you're just fun to play with.
(Just kidding.)
heh. gotcha.

my opinion is this, if you like it, you like it. I know some manufacturers have a certain sound to their speakers and it's very subjective. what sounds good to one person might be to be too bright or maybe lacking in another area that's unforgivable to some ears. I would never try to convince someone that "brand x" is the better speaker because of the subjective nature of different folks' tastes.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Brand X is always the best. Everyone knows that. Actually, I do not have expensive gear, and I buy everything new. I have a preamp and power amp in the system in my signature. That system cost me less than $600, not counting the tuner (because I do not remember what I paid for it back in the 90s). All that matters is that you like what you hear. Peace and goodwill.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The best system is the best bargain. If you can get X performance out of both choice A and B, and B is cheaper than A, then A isn't the best choice. Audioquest cables are a poor choice compared to BJC, you don't need a DAC, and mega-mass produced 5.1 offerings sold in brick and mortar chain stores tend to have a subwoofer with a poor price/performance ratio. And while wife acceptance factor is important, there comes a time when the husband has to put his damn foot down and veto in-ceiling front speakers and fireplace-mounted televisions.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
there comes a time when the husband has to put his damn foot down and veto in-ceiling front speakers and fireplace-mounted televisions.
And PRAY he can find a way to convince/coerce/bribe her into acceptance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
my wife is very forgiving so waf is a non issue. I'm constrained by budget only. she's pretty awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis