Need suggestions on new avr for music

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Hey folks!

As some may know, my marantz sr7001 is toast. Im looking for a great sounding receiver that has a focus on sound over features.

I'm aware of NAD, and Anthem. In fact I'm looking at the nad 748n used for $369 form speritsound. Not sure if it will be as good sounding as the sr7001.

I'm on a tight budget, and love buying b-stock, refurbished or used. Looking to spend around $300.00. Basically I'm the guy who buys a 5 year old receiver, that cost $1,200 new.

I'm 90% music, so that's why I lean towards sound over features. I don't care about ethernet, 3d, or 4k. Sound sound sound!

Thanks you all so much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Thanks. But not for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Better stick to "music" electronics, especially the audiophile type. :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So says the guy sporting Audioquest in his signature.....even cheap ones.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The economies of scale allow the 7 channel AVR to be cost competitive with a stereo unit (and the AVR typically has much better bass management if you use a sub), but it is your decision. From what you are saying, this sounds like what you are looking for:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-2-ch-x-100-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html
It does have pre-outs so you can add a separate amp later if you need, but this is a pretty solid unit.
I can sell you a SR6001 for $275 shipped which has the exact same amp section (but a few less bells and whistles) as you beloved SR7001. It is in excellent condition.
See this article to see that the amp sections are equal (but you'll have to translate some German):
http://www.connect.de/testbericht/marantz-sr-6001-332122.html
Zu allem Überfluss lieferte der 6001 im Labor identische Leistungswerte wie der 7001 - Marantz hat anscheinend nur das gestrichen, was eh niemand braucht.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
The economies of scale allow the 7 channel AVR to be cost competitive with a stereo unit (and the AVR typically has much better bass management if you use a sub), but it is your decision. From what you are saying, this sounds like what you are looking for:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-2-ch-x-100-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html
It does have pre-outs so you can add a separate amp later if you need, but this is a pretty solid unit.
I can sell you a SR6001 for $275 shipped which has the exact same amp section (but a few less bells and whistles) as you beloved SR7001. It is in excellent condition.
See this article to see that the amp sections are equal (but you'll have to translate some German):
http://www.connect.de/testbericht/marantz-sr-6001-332122.html
those Yamaha's have caught my eye before. unfortunately there are no retailers near me to allow a demo. Thanks for the offer on the 6001, but ill pass.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
those Yamaha's have caught my eye before. unfortunately there are no retailers near me to allow a demo. Thanks for the offer on the 6001, but ill pass.
Why do you need a demo? It is a damn receiver, there is no magic involved.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Why do you need a demo? It is a damn receiver, there is no magic involved.
Would you buy a car with out driving it?

Are you telling me you don't see the point in matching a receivers sound to speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nope not at all. As for demoing, kinda hard to demo all used gear. Speakers get demoed, avrs and receivers get bought for power and features

Would you buy a car with out driving it?

Are you telling me you don't see the point in matching a receivers sound to speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So says the guy sporting Audioquest in his signature.....even cheap ones.
Hey, now, wait just-a cotton pick'n minute here, mister! :mad:

I use Kimber Kable and so does Gene.

They LOOK groovy. :D

Nothing wrong with buying pretty cables, is there? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't - as long as the AVR has the features you desire (like Audyssey Dynamic EQ for me) and enough power (which most AVRs do have for most 18x20 rooms and most people).

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Speakers are what make the sound, not the receiver. So no, I don't see point on hunting for fairy magic in receiver. Receiver should process and amplify the sound signals, not change them.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Oh. Ok. Your right. TI, burr brown,
Wolfson and cirus logic dac's all sound the same.

And all manufacturers use the exact same processors, power sources, chips op amps so that they sound exactly the same.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Can a difference be measured, probably. In a DBT could you hear it and pick the better one, highly unlikely

And all manufacturers use the exact same processors, power sources, chips op amps so that they sound exactly the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Can you tell the DACs apart by ear? How much time would you spend chasing that magic avr that has "synergy" with your speakers and ears? Like expecting something of value from Bill Low. LOL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis