Difference between Yamaha AX-1090 Vs Yamaha AX-1070

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
Hei guys,
Dose anyone know the difference between Yamaha AX-1090 Vs Yamaha AX-1070 ?
-in the manual 99.9% of the specs are identical
-the exterior design is identical
-the weight is identical
-if u look inside the amps they look 100% identical
-
even all the buttons are identical

is it just same product but different year? or same product but different markets? Is a difference of power and sound quality?
yamaha 2.jpg

The parts look identical

1090.jpg

The only difference: Residual Noise (IHF-A Network) - Dose it matter?

specs.jpg

AX-1070 manual
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/197248/Yamaha-Ax-1070.html?page=15#manual

AX-1090 manual
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/197249/Yamaha-Ax-1090.html

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Since they are Over 25 years old and you have done the comparison, not sure we can find something different. Yamaha is excellent with customer service, but I'm not sure they could provide anymore info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh but it's vintage so it's better inherently, so every minute difference might be absolutely night and day difference!

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
i'm a beginner in Audio stuff and i was hopping people with experience here will know the difference or more details o_O

Yamaha won't answer(at least in my country) and i don't know exactly where to email them to have a chance that someone will also answer
(sorry for my English)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would say it is just the same thing from different years. So only minor changes at most if any.

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
I would say it is just the same thing from different years. So only minor changes at most if any.
unfortunately i don't know where i can find a list of amps and their years of production

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there some particular reason you're asking about this old gear? You have a chance to buy each one at different prices or something?

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
Is there some particular reason you're asking about this old gear? You have a chance to buy each one at different prices or something?
Yes - i need a powerful 2ch amp and i can afford just a used one.

So i found the AX-1090 at 300$ and the AX-1070 at 220$(220$ would be a good budget for me)

So i'm wondering if makes sense to pay extra 80$ for the AX-1090 if both actually are identical..? But in the same time i need as much power and clarity as i can get.
If someone would tell me: '' is the same product but rebadge or different year'' - my dilemma will go away(and i would buy the cheaper one)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would take the condition of each amplifier into consideration. Do they both come with remote?

As you say, they are pretty much the same amplifier. If one has been taken better care of than the other I would lean toward that one.

May I ask what country?

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
I would take the condition of each amplifier into consideration. Do they both come with remote?

As you say, they are pretty much the same amplifier. If one has been taken better care of than the other I would lean toward that one.

May I ask what country?
Neither comes with a remote anymore(but i can use my Smartphone for basic stuff because it has IR blaster) and both are in the same condition, just a few minor scratches.. that is why my dilemma is big.

- i'm from Eastern Europe( i would prefer to buy from ebay or amazon USA - but i would need also to pay a lot o taxes if i do that)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know the full situation in Eastern Europe on import taxes and the like. If those prices are in USD that seems high for integrated amplifiers that are around 25-30 years old. These aren't particularly sought after units.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Dose anyone know the difference between Yamaha AX-1090 Vs Yamaha AX-1070 ?
-in the manual 99.9% of the specs are identical
-the exterior design is identical
-the weight is identical
-if u look inside the amps they look 100% identical
-
even all the buttons are identical

is it just same product but different year? or same product but different markets? Is a difference of power and sound quality?
I think the answers you suggested, different years or different markets, make the most sense. It is possible that new measurement rules were developed for reporting levels of 'residual noise', resulting in the new model number. Otherwise, they seem to be identical. Both seem to be high power and high quality amps. I hope one of them is in good condition and is selling at a suitable price.

You certainly learned as much as possible about these two Yamaha amps :).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also keep in mind that old gear has the possibility of needing work/service sooner than later....

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
I don't know the full situation in Eastern Europe on import taxes and the like. If those prices are in USD that seems high for integrated amplifiers that are around 25-30 years old. These aren't particularly sought after units.
yes USD - the problem is that the market of used amps is no that big because most of the ppl are buying just ''Home cinemas systems'' stuff like Pioneer DCS-370 etc

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
Also keep in mind that old gear has the possibility of needing work/service sooner than later....

agree but also many people are saying that old gear is more robust and more powerful than the newer ones

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
More weight usually means that bigger power transistors were used, specially in older units.
The power transistors, even older ones, are small and light in weight. The heavy and expensive parts of receivers or amps are the power supply transformer, the heat sinks, and the metal chassis.
yea so basically the stereo world didn't evolved too much in the last 20years
Correct. All the new development went into improving the processing systems for digital surround sound. The only development of amplification (stereo or multi-channel) was to manufacture low-distortion high-power systems at a lower cost. In that sense, the cost of powerful amplification has gone down over that last 20 years. At the same time, the cost of high quality speaker systems has gone up.
agree but also many people are saying that old gear is more robust and more powerful than the newer ones
Actually the opposite may be true, but I don't expect to hear that from owners of older gear, even if they don't want to sell theirs.

Both AX amps series are 145Wpch - 8 ohms 20hz-20khz THD 0.01%THD and 18.3kg

and the A1000 is 120Wpch - 8 ohms 20hz-20khz THD 0.005%THD and 13kg
Those differences in power, 145 watts vs. 120 watts, and total harmonic distortion 0.01% vs. 0.005% are too small to be heard.

Doubling the power is barely audible, an increase of about 3 dB. To make a genuinely audible difference in power, one has to increase the power by at least 3-fold to 10-fold.

Most loudspeakers, even very good ones have distortion in range of 1-10%. As long as an amp has THD below 0.1% it is said to be low distortion and clean sounding. Yamaha in general has a long-standing reputation for excellent amps and receivers.

All this talk about power and distortion depends on the speaker being used and the amplification levels required by the room. You've never mentioned speakers or room size. Unless your speakers are particularly difficult to drive, or you live in a large auditorium, any of the Yamaha amps you've mentioned should be very good.

Last edited:
paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
The power transistors, even older ones, are small and light in weight. The heavy and expensive parts of receivers or amps are the power supply transformer, the heat sinks, and the metal chassis.
Correct. All the new development went into improving the processing systems for digital surround sound. The only development of amplification (stereo or multi-channel) was to manufacture low-distortion high-power systems at a lower cost. In that sense, the cost of powerful amplification has gone down over that last 20 years. At the same time, the cost of high quality speaker systems has gone up.
Actually the opposite may be true, but I don't expect to hear that from owners of older gear, even if they don't want to sell theirs.

Those differences in power, 145 watts vs. 120 watts, and total harmonic distortion 0.01% vs. 0.005% are too small to be heard.

Doubling the power is barely audible, an increase of about 3 dB. To make a genuinely audible difference in power, one has to increase the power by at least 3-fold to 10-fold.

Most loudspeakers, even very good ones have distortion in range of 1-10%. As long as an amp has THD below 0.1% it is said to be low distortion and clean sounding. Yamaha in general has a long-standing reputation for excellent amps and receivers.

All this talk about power and distortion depends on the speaker being used and the amplification levels required by the room. You've never mentioned speakers or room size. Unless your speakers are particularly difficult to drive, or you live in a large auditorium, any of the Yamaha amps you've mentioned should be very good.

room size 24ft by 18 by 9ft(high)
speakers - DiY towers with quality parts, something similar to Tidal Agoria(a bit less taller) / drivers used are scanspeak
i intend to use the integrated amp until i can afford some good monoblocks(maybe emotiva - or other suggestions?)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall

You are right, was either my mistake or autocorrect as I replied with phone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis