Why Don't We Record Listening Demos For Our YouTube Fans?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
To the regular reader of this site it may sound crazy that we have to write an article on why we don't do listening demos on our YouTube channel. But, we get this question all the time from our YouTube followers who want to "hear what we're hearing". To find out the reasons why we don't do these demos, you're going to have to read this article and watch our related YouTube video discussion. We also discuss the best way to demo equipment to help you make wise purchasing decisions.

Read: Why Don't We Record Listening Demos For Our YouTube Fans?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have seen so many reviews on youtube that include the listening to speakers/subs/headphones and each time I have been thinking that it must be a joke, but it is not. They even do comparisons in those videos! Like you say, you can't even get the slightest idea how they sound or compare from listening to those videos as it won't sound even relatively close to what it is supposed to sound. However, it is sad that quite many people seem to believe they know how speaker sounds after they have watched those youtube videos and they may base their decision on those videos.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have actually had to explain to people on multiple occasions why you can not judge how a speaker sounds from a youtube video, so I can see the reason for this article, especially for someone who is very young or a total novice to audio. What is obvious to us who are steeped in audio may not be as apparent to someone who isn't a complete nerd, so we should remember not to judge harshly.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have actually had to explain to people on multiple occasions why you can not judge how a speaker sounds from a youtube video, so I can see the reason for this article, especially for someone who is very young or a total novice to audio. What is obvious to us who are steeped in audio may not be as apparent to someone who isn't a complete nerd, so we should remember not to judge harshly.
I don't see a problem- if someone records the video/audio with an iPhone 6 and the viewer/listener watches it on an iPhone 6, it should sound the same, right? :D

OTOH, I know some people who record live gigs and the sound is surprisingly good when played back on a decent system, considering they don't take the audio from the mixer or put a mic directly in front of each bank of PA speakers. They do, however, use good condenser mics which don't have the 'proximity effect', which is the reason dynamic mics must be close to the sound source if full frequency range is to be expected.

S

sterling shoote

I frequently enjoy YouTube videos of speaker demonstrations from my iPad. I get a sense, from the videos overall quality, including sound, for the experience the speakers promise.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I frequently enjoy YouTube videos of speaker demonstrations from my iPad. I get a sense, from the videos overall quality, including sound, for the experience the speakers promise.
I hope there is heavy dose of sarcasm in the post...

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
YouTube compression should be number one on the list. Even if every aspect of the demo can be replicated- given enough resources, it's doable,- The compression alone still makes it pointless.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't know about that. Audioquest was able to show how their HDMI cables made a difference in audio over a video posted on YouTubeo_O

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

YouTube videos can show you how to cook an egg, but can't show you how it smells. o_O

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I suppose if one were wealthy and found a good mail-order vendor you could buy 2 or 3 pairs of speakers and audition them in-home, returning the ones you reject (hopefully undamaged) for refund. Or find a patient sales person at Best Buy and listen to them there. o_O

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis