A Salk fan-boy takes action

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Geez... this is painful for me to watch, and I don't even have a dog in the hunt. Must be a true trial of your patience.
I know it seems like torture, but I knew from the start that it would be slow. I've waited longer for other things.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Yeah, it must be like watching water to boil - for months!

I do anything else than post and watch - go on vacation, get a second job.... anything! :confused:

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Hey Swerd Im at 52% on the Song3's and center now too ;) I think our speakers are bunk mates in Jim's shop

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
75% done!!! All that remains are testing the speakers, final inspection, packing & shipping.
upload_2016-7-28_18-6-30.png

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, I'm probably the hundredth person to post that, but this thread has gone on long enough!

And they're not even my speakers!!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today (July 30), my speakers are 93% done :D.

They've now been tested, inspected and packed for shipping. The list of details in the progress report is getting too large to bother pasting it in as a graphic, as I've done before. I expect to hear from Jim Salk soon, maybe Monday, that they've been shipped.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That's actually amazingly fast turnaround time considering the size of the speakers and the complexity of the finishing process. I hope to hear them soon.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's actually amazingly fast turnaround time considering the size of the speakers and the complexity of the finishing process. I hope to hear them soon.
When I ordered them on May 24th, Jim had said to expect two months. Considering two holiday weekends, Memorial Day and Independence Day, and a trip to at least one Audio Show, two months plus a week isn't bad.

I'll be happy to show them off to you. We can try and hear differences between the new Veracity ST and my highly-valued, rare, VINTAGE dome STs,. I plan to sell them once the new speakers arrive.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here's an example of Jim's customer service in action.

I received an email this morning, telling me while testing & inspecting my speakers, a problem was seen in their measurements. The four woofers in my speakers are each supposed to be 8 ohm drivers. It seems they were sent two 8 ohm and two 4 ohm woofers by the supplier. No other problems were seen with the tweeter or crossover.

Getting the two replacement woofers will take until Tuesday. I'm glad they know how to catch that kind of problem and fix it before they shipped it to me :).

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It seems they were sent two 8 ohm and two 4 ohm woofers by the supplier.
Hmmm... that's discouraging. To make it through their assembly process, I suppose the woofers were not only wrong, but mislabeled by the supplier. It is good, and expected from any reputable manufacturer, that their testing revealed the problem. It seems some process evaluation may be in order... on both ends.

Perhaps a simple resistance check at assembly would take seconds, and potentially avoid hours/days over a problem discovered in final testing. Glad you're back on track!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm... that's discouraging. To make it through their assembly process, I suppose the woofers were not only wrong, but mislabeled by the supplier. It is good, and expected from any reputable manufacturer, that their testing revealed the problem. It seems some process evaluation may be in order... on both ends.

Perhaps a simple resistance check at assembly would take seconds, and potentially avoid hours/days over a problem discovered in final testing. Glad you're back on track!
Jim Salk caught the problem before shipping the speakers. That's good enough. Yes, one might have caught the problem earlier such as while inspecting the woofers when they were received from Madisound, if they were labeled correctly. But I'm happy they identified the problem and the solution when they did.

If Salk were a large manufacturer instead of a small shop, you would expect a full blown Quality Assurance effort, with all the time wasting paper work, but not from a small shop.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If Salk were a large manufacturer instead of a small shop, you would expect a full blown Quality Assurance effort, with all the time wasting paper work, but not from a small shop.
QA does not have to involve "time-wasting paperwork". I'm with Herbu; in this case a simple check mark would have sufficed. Of course, you are a self-admitted fan boy, so I suppose nothing that's said here is going to sway you. I hope the speakers exceed your expectations.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
QA does not have to involve "time-wasting paperwork". I'm with Herbu; in this case a simple check mark would have sufficed. Of course, you are a self-admitted fan boy, so I suppose nothing that's said here is going to sway you. I hope the speakers exceed your expectations.
This is a total non-issue. It makes much more sense to install the woofers and measure the whole system to make sure everything is in spec. Impedance is only one issue you might find with a particular woofer, and you may as well check everything at once. They probably received the woofers the day before assembly, so there's no time lost. It's just a matter of performing total QC checks in an efficient manner, which I believe they did.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
QA does not have to involve "time-wasting paperwork".
I was just about write a response, saying essentially that you must have better QA people than I've ever known.

Dennis's response is much better.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is a total non-issue. It makes much more sense to install the woofers and measure the whole system to make sure everything is in spec. Impedance is only one issue you might find with a particular woofer, and you may as well check everything at once. They probably received the woofers the day before assembly, so there's no time lost. It's just a matter of performing total QC checks in an efficient manner, which I believe they did.
I see, so you're suggesting that it is better to bet on most components being within specs, so the tear-down case is an exception, and, overall, total effort expended is lower than testing every driver. Perhaps I've spent too many years in the computer hardware and software industries to think like that. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I see, so you're suggesting that it is better to bet on most components being within specs, so the tear-down case is an exception, and, overall, total effort expended is lower than testing every driver. Perhaps I've spent too many years in the computer hardware and software industries to think like that. ;)
Trust but verify....

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yes--most components are in spec. It makes no sense for poor Jim to measure every component as it comes in when 99.99% will be within a satisfactory tolerance. I don't do that. I couldn't do that and still have time to build and design speakers (and eat). I measure the speaker at the end, and if there's an issue I can usually spot it quickly with accumulated knowledge or I can simulate the issue in my software. I'm sure it's the same with Jim. Let's move on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis