Best bang for the buck upgrade to my 2.1 system

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
You can use any Y splitter, but technically, you don't need one. The manual should say which one to use when using only one input, but in most cases it doesn't matter since they are summed into one anyway. There are two for those who don't have a sub preamp output.

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
O
Thank you so much. Im a total noob. I cannot believe that I have had this hooked up the wrong way for all these years.

When I purchased these components I also bought a nice sub cable that has been sitting around collecting dust somewhere lol. Im going to look for it and hook it up the rca jack to see if that makes any difference.

When I hook it up all I need to do is turn the crossover off on my sub and set my receivers crossover to 60 correct?

Thank you for the time and ideas you guys have given me. It is much apreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
O
Thank you so much. Im a total noob. I cannot believe that I have had this hooked up the wrong way for all these years.

When I purchased these components I also bought a nice sub cable that has been sitting around collecting dust somewhere lol. Im going to look for it and hook it up the rca jack to see if that makes any difference.

When I hook it up all I need to do is turn the crossover off on my sub and set my receivers crossover to 60 correct?

You need to set the level to match the speakers....not sure what the receiver has to help you with this....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That receiver has bass management so you will
O

That receiver has bass management so you'll want to use that and turn the sub's all the way UP (effectively removing it). You will need to manually adjust the level to match the speakers which is no different than current. Yes, I'd set the 2150's x-over to 60 first.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

That receiver has bass management so you'll want to use that and turn the sub's all the way UP (effectively removing it). You will need to manually adjust the level to match the speakers which is no different than current. Yes, I'd set the 2150's x-over to 60 first.
Too clarify for the OP. He will want to turn the subwoofer's onboard crossover adjustment completely clockwise to defeat the internal crossover. Using both the receiver's crossover and the subwoofer's at the same time will cause dramatic rolloff for the subwoofer creating a null in the bass for a general uneven response for the whole system.

I've never looked at the Outlaw receiver in person so I don't know if it actually applies a high pass crossover to the mains towers, but if it does it will likely have a setting to set the mains speakers to "small", which you should do even though they are large. This aids in the blending of your speakers with your subwoofer tremendously since the speakers and subwoofer won't be attempting to produce the same low frequencies simultaneously. A crossover point between 60-80Hz will probably be ideal for that setup. The lower you can go probably the better because the subwoofer will be more difficult to localize (this is a good thing).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To me, the differences from these subs should have been minimal and differences more likely related to positioning and setup and eq....but I wasn't there.
As far as the Sb12 plus vs PSA, I haven't compared them directly mainly because of the sequence I bought them.
I had the SB12 Plus, then the Rythmik E15HP, which totally took care of my issue with the SB12 Plus. I wasn't looking back so did not directly compare them. Later, I bought the JL Audio E112, thinking it would be the ultimate sub for me. It sounded more or less like the SB12 Plus. That truly flummoxed me, so I did a thorough test of dual E15HP vs dual E112.
Using two receivers and two pairs of Energy RC-10, I set up Audyssey on both and compared them. This was overkill as far as level matching, etc. The difference was far too great to need that much attention to the details, but I wanted to make certain. Next, I swapped the position of the subs. I initially had the E112's sitting on top of the E15HP's, so then I put the E15HP's on top of the E112's compared them, then, just in case, I reran Audyssey. Wanting to make sure I left no stone unturned, I then reset both receivers and manually set the crossover to 100Hz so Audyssey (which is not always consistent) was out of the picture. And, since I had already gone to all of this trouble, I felt obliged to once again swap the position of the subs.
No matter what, the E15Hp sounded clean and the E112 sounded bloated, and I am talking a difference where they do not have to be side by side to hear it, one sound good the other does not. Changing the settings and the locations did change the sound, but these mdifferences were slight compared to the differences between the sub manufacturers. The only question is whether the recording has bass recorded too loud, but that was easily answered by listening to classical recordings. One explanation I can buy is that with room gain, the E112 had too much deep bass for Audyssey to contain. I have a largish living room with vaulted ceiling open to the second floor, but the subs were about 18" from the back wall and 4' from the side walls. If you look at charts measured in room, it is common to see 15dB or more of room gain in the low 20's. So a sub that is flat in an anechoic chamber might be 15dB too hot in room. I think Audyssey can only manage around 10dB.
Another thought is that the Q value for the E112 driver is not where it should be, but I am not that technical to do more than guess at this.
I bought the PSA's after hearing them at a friends house and realizing they had the same general character as the Rythmiks. It is to my ear a clear difference between wrong and right (though I admit "wrong" can be a lot of fun when watching a good action flick, but not for music).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the offer but I'm about 2500 miles away in Oregon, take you up otherwise! My experience with various subs in various rooms is more about the room and setup than a particular box/driver and build my own these days, no interest in buying a commercial sub again.

Hmmm how did that happen? Thot I was answering your pm.

Last edited:
D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
Well I tried the

Well I tried the one cable to rca jack on sub NO SOUND. I checked everything I could think of and no matter what I did it didnt work at all.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well I tried the

Well I tried the one cable to rca jack on sub NO SOUND. I checked everything I could think of and no matter what I did it didnt work at all.
Did you check the settings in the receiver to make sure the subwoofer was enabled? I assume the default setting is "off".

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
Did you check the settings in the receiver to make sure the subwoofer was enabled? I assume the default setting is "off".
The Outlaw receiver does not have a digital menu like most receivers. So as far as I know there is no on or off for the sub. I read through the manual to make sure of this and did not find anything about turning the sub on

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Outlaw receiver does not have a digital menu like most receivers. So as far as I know there is no on or off for the sub. I read through the manual to make sure of this and did not find anything about turning the sub on
What is the bass management switch set to on the rear panel (p.15 of your manual)?

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
I went out and got a rca y splitter and now I have a signal to my sub. I have tried turning of the crossover on my sub and just using the outlaws crossover. I have also tried leaving the cossover on the sub and turning it all the way up with the outlaw crossover set to 60 hz. I have tried about everything . Having it hooked up through my sub out on my receiver cuts the power output from my sub by at least half. I have to turn the gain up nearly all the way to achieve the level it was putting out at about 1 3rd of the way.
Any ideas?
My daughter and I think everything sounds better hooked up the other way so thats what I did... weird

By the way my svs pc12nsd has the old BASH 400 watt amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The gain adjustment is there to make the best match of the output voltage of your pre-out and the sensitivity of your amp input, use it where it gives you the best output (unless that introduces extraneous noise or something).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Give Outlaw a call.
I've always liked the style of that unit, but I don't know anyone who has one here that can really know what is up.
Outlaw is a solid ID company, and as such should have very good customer support!

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
Give Outlaw a call.
I've always liked the style of that unit, but I don't know anyone who has one here that can really know what is up.
Outlaw is a solid ID company, and as such should have very good customer support!
Will do. I have also been emailing back and forth with svs. Thank you guys for all the input and help. Right now im thinking of pulling the trigger on a Psa v1800 sub... Been emailing back and forth with those guys too. I was looking into the psa s1500 from what another member said here at the begining of this post. But the guy at psa said the v1800 would be a better match for room size and he said I would not notice much difference between sealed or vented while listening to music but i suppose thats a whole other story.
Needless to say im looking alot on these forums for information.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Will do. I have also been emailing back and forth with svs. Thank you guys for all the input and help. Right now im thinking of pulling the trigger on a Psa v1800 sub... Been emailing back and forth with those guys too. I was looking into the psa s1500 from what another member said here at the begining of this post. But the guy at psa said the v1800 would be a better match for room size and he said I would not notice much difference between sealed or vented while listening to music but i suppose thats a whole other story.
Needless to say im looking alot on these forums for information.
I am probably the guy who posted earlier about PSA. I trust Tom V (the guy who runs PSA) to be honest about the applications of his subs. I can't say for myself because I have only had the sealed XS15se to listen to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis