M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

I have kind of an emergency. I was planning to use for my new home theatre 3 ascend cmt-340 for the front and central and 2 ascend htm-200 for the surround. Now for different reasons I have to install in wall speakers for the 2 satellite.
I'm looking for advises for a good quality in wall speakers in the same price range.
Thank you so much!

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Well I'm a complete beginner and honestly I have no idea of wich one of the two will be better.
Wich one you think it is overall a better speaker and wich one it will pair better with my mains?
are these two models going to have a back box? I'm replacing all the sheets rock so I will be able to do that.
How about Hsu HIW-1? They ought to have a pretty neutral timbre (but of course, they'll sound different in different rooms and different placements).

Or you could piece together a pair of Atlantic Technology in-walls if you prefer a closer match with your mains' soft-dome tweets. One IWTS-5LCR on Amazon plus another on eBay.

If you can, consider building back-boxes for your in-walls.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Well I'm a complete beginner and honestly I have no idea of wich one of the two will be better.
Wich one you think it is overall a better speaker and wich one it will pair better with my mains?
What is a back box?
I wish I could give you a straight answer. I've never heard either. Only in-walls I've ever heard have been bargain crap installed by people more concerned with architectural aesthetics than with accurate reproduction. But the Hsu bookshelf speakers on which the Hsu in-walls are based are very well-regarded for their price. And Atlantic Technology's stuff is likewise well-reputed.

Regarding the back boxes, they're simply boxes you build around the back of the speakers. You basically just add an upper and lower horizontal stud between the existing vertical studs, and put a little acoustic insulation (foam, fiberglass, whatever) behind the speaker. See http://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/in-wall-speakers/step-3-installing-the-speakers

Another option would be on-wall speakers. 2x NHT Absolute Wall Speaker would be a worthwhile choice. It's simpler to install if you aren't comfortable with the in-wall back box thing while only sticking out about 4" from the wall.

Bipolar surrounds, like the Fluance FLBPW for example, might also be worth considering. They are better suited for movies than for 5.1 music, but they are likewise designed to be mounted directly on the wall. If you're looking for more accuracy, the NHT's would probably be the better choice. I believe Definitive Technology and RBH Sound also make respectable on-walls, but I'm not sure whether they'd be available within your $300-ish target price for a pair.

Maybe one of these other guys will have other bright ideas?

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Other suggestions?
Are you still more interested than in-wall than on-wall? I'd thought about suggesting Boston Acoustics as well; but since that has an aluminum tweeter, it'll have a similar (potential) contrast in character with the Ascend's soft domes as the less expensive Hsu option. Ultimately, it could be that all my attention to the type of tweeter is obsessing over nothing. Both Hsu and Boston are highly regarded options. I'd probably give the edge to Hsu between those two choices. I'm still uncertain between Hsu and Atlantic Technology though.

For what it's worth, Boston Acoustics also offers an on-wall option with a depth of 3.9".

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
No unfortunatelly I have to go with in wall.
I was thinking more to the hsu in wall but I'm not able to find many information about it. I wish they will match ok with the ascend
Are you still more interested than in-wall than on-wall? I'd thought about suggesting Boston Acoustics as well; but since that has an aluminum tweeter, it'll have a similar (potential) contrast in character with the Ascend's soft domes as the less expensive Hsu option. Ultimately, it could be that all my attention to the type of tweeter is obsessing over nothing. Both Hsu and Boston are highly regarded options. I'd probably give the edge to Hsu between those two choices. I'm still uncertain between Hsu and Atlantic Technology though.

For what it's worth, Boston Acoustics also offers an on-wall option with a depth of 3.9".

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
No unfortunatelly I have to go with in wall.
I was thinking more to the hsu in wall but I'm not able to find many information about it. I wish they will match ok with the ascend
You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact Hsu Research, let them know what you have, and ask whether their in-walls would be a good match. If they recommend against their in-walls for matching your Ascends, tell them you've also got your eye on a pair of Atlantic Technology in-walls, and ask whether they have any opinions on that plan. I think they'll give you honest advice, even if it means they lose a sale.

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact Hsu Research, let them know what you have, and ask whether their in-walls would be a good match. If they recommend against their in-walls for matching your Ascends, tell them you've also got your eye on a pair of Atlantic Technology in-walls, and ask whether they have any opinions on that plan. I think they'll give you honest advice, even if it means they lose a sale.
I will do that! Thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis