PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
What's your go to site for Avr cooling fans? My Onkyo 876 is in a tight space, 0 clearance on the sides 7 inches on top, open front, closed back. Fyi...there are 2 small vents on each side which house fans. However they only turn on @ 150 degrees.

This unit is normally in an open rack but is here while my marantz sr7001 is out for repair.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself have 2 x 200mm ( https://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Prodigy-Bitfenix-BFF-SCF-20020KK-RP-Spectre/dp/B013SPY842/ ) computer case fans on top of my receiver powered by similar power supply as this: https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-100-240v-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B000MGG6SC I have this connected to slave slot of master/slave power strip while my receiver being in the master slot. So when my receiver powers up the fans start to spin and they stop when my receiver turns off. Any 200mm case fan should work, just make sure the noise level of fan is under 20dBA.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I put a 3" hole saw on my drill and cut a bunch of holes in the sides and back of my cabinet... (kind of like the one through which you ran your cables).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using these Coolerguy fans on top both for situations with an open back rack with minimal space above the unit, so it sucks up and blows to the rear....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My Onkyo 876 is in a tight space, 0 clearance on the sides 7 inches on top, open front, closed back. Fyi...there are 2 small vents on each side which house fans. However they only turn on @ 150 degrees.

This unit is normally in an open rack but is here while my marantz sr7001 is out for repair.
I'm with herbu on this. Open up several holes on the back panel in your cabinet. Usually those back panels are thin plywood or press board and are easy to cut. This will make any cooling, passive or fan-driven, work better.

Why is that Marantz being repaired? Was it also getting hot?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Cheap laptop fan with air circulating out has done the trick for me.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I looked at those when I was setting up my cooling as well. It is pretty much the same what I got expect for the thermal control that I don't have / need and I have bigger fans. I ended up paying little less than that.

How is the noice with those fans as they are quite small?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
No noise. I have them set to 6v (medium) out of 12v. With the thermometer, they run for a few minutes after I turn off the onkyo. Then you can hear them.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

No noise. I have them set to 6v (medium) out of 12v. With the thermometer, they run for a few minutes after I turn off the onkyo. Then you can hear them.

Ok, just as I was thinking! That is too loud for me! :p Must be silent so I cant hear them when there is silent scene in movie / music.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Let me clarify. I go to turn off the laptop which is next to the receiver. Then I hear them....silent scenes and quiet passages in music are fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis