Teac Reference Series

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
I did a listening test comparing the Teac LS-300s to my new Cambridge audio, and JPW bookshelf speakers that where a what hi fi recommend of the 90s, (both budget speakers in the under £150 range) the LS 300s are on the bright side of neutral and harsh, bass is light for the size. some units say made in Denmark others designed in Denmark, I think they have done this to allude to a higher quality than they are, as there are several highly accredited speaker manufacturers over there.

X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
I did a listening test comparing the Teac LS-300s to my new Cambridge audio, and JPW bookshelf speakers that where a what hi fi recommend of the 90s, (both budget speakers in the under £150 range) the LS 300s are on the bright side of neutral and harsh, bass is light for the size. some units say made in Denmark others designed in Denmark, I think they have done this to allude to a higher quality than they are, as there are several highly accredited speaker manufacturers over there.
I hear what you're saying on the 'Denmark' point!

I was getting the impression they were trying to imply B&O quality and alike.

I had bid over the last week on a few LS-300U on Ebay - There seems to be endless supplies of them on there.

I also came across a pair of LS-H255 (not sure what system they're from but look solid) 100w bookshelf but the buyer was asking too much for them and have just managed to pick a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's for the same money!

This will be my 1st bi-wire with the A-H500i amp - so looking forward hearing it properly!!! :)

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
Nice system, I'm going to look for another 300 amp as a bedroom system, what do the diamonds sound like connected to the amp?

X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
Nice system, I'm going to look for another 300 amp as a bedroom system, what do the diamonds sound like connected to the amp?
I just managed to find the time to connect them up today - Impressed for their size!

I was expecting to have to turn up the base on the reference audio I was using - they remind me of some monitor audio's I had way back when.

Haven't had the time to bi-wire them yet and will be interesting to see if they're even more detailed as I've been pleased how bright they sound whilst not getting lost in their base response.

I'm quite surprised - they certainly don't sound bookshelf :)

Justin

X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
Well I just run Radiohead's new album through the chromecast (flac) and I almost cried at what this little setup has done for me.

For years I've been a Technics man - but was drawn to this thread regarding reference 500 after a work mate said he'd never owned anything built as well as a Teak reel to reel.

I'm sure there is more life via floor standing or mounts - but I am seriously blown away at this 20yr old kit -

I was looking at a Pioneer in Hughes the other week and mentioned I'd purchased H500 equipment and that I was gonna future proof it with chromecast and he pretty much told me I wouldn't be interested in the Pioneer then......

How right he is - even today I don't think there is an amp this side of £1000 that can touch the sound this is producing - let alone the build quality.......

Bloody fantastic stuff - NOW! do I get it re-capped ???? just to make it brand new of leave it run in!!!! ??? :)

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
Setup another amp rather than buying another set of Cambridge audio speakers, I have to thank starmans recommendation of the Diamond 9.1s... £30 cheaper than than the cambridge SX50s on the other system and they are real walnut not vinyl wrap, quite big for a bookshelf though, PC world where doing the Chromcast audio for £15 as well, I cant believe the quality of sound we are getting on such budget systems! :)

X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
Setup another amp rather than buying another set of Cambridge audio speakers, I have to thank starmans recommendation of the Diamond 9.1s... £30 cheaper than than the cambridge SX50s on the other system and they are real walnut not vinyl wrap, quite big for a bookshelf though, PC world where doing the Chromcast audio for £15 as well, I cant believe the quality of sound we are getting on such budget systems! :)
Aren't the 9.1's great!!!!

I was drawn to the front bass ports mostly because I have the pretty much against a will on a recessed bookshelf - really well built for what they are!

I think you know your way around chromecast audio - but just in case ensure High Dynamic Range is turned on using the app on an android device - coz its turned off by default!!

Glad you tried these speakers out - they're little wonders! :)

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
The front bass port is a nice feature, on the SX50s I had to use the foam bungs that where supplied with them, they are rear ported and close to the wall, both speakers sound great. I think the 9.1s have the edge but are quite a bit bigger. yes I have HDR on in chromecast and in deezer, swapped from spotify as I just got 6 months free due to a "three" mobile offer.

X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
I may invest in deezer so the kids tablets have some decent access to this set up downstairs.

I'm mostly use my chomecast audio for streaming flac from my home cinema kodi setup.

I'm using a tablet to control the whole thing and its given the Teac an new life :)
teac.jpg

Sidenote - I stream Youtube to Chromecast Audio using BubbleUPnP instead of them having subscriptions as they are always on Youtube - but its a good way to get round the youtube restrictions for Chromecast Audio.

Last edited:
T

Thanos916

Audiophyte
Great threat here guys.
Here is my Teac AH-500i and my Teac DS-H01 as office setup with Mission e50 speakers.
I am thinking of getting a teac ah-300 as a bedroom unit and stream music to both units with airplay.
I just love the looks of those units.
2li7wih.jpg

I almost forgot to mention that the headphone amp of this unit is remarkable!

Last edited:
T

Tibike87

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have recently bought a Teac AG-H350 Receiver. It seems to run hot to the touch. It has a Fan inside which I have not seen or heard running. Just wondered if any members with the same Amp know if this is normal.

Thanks Tibi

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,
I have recently bought a Teac AG-H350 Receiver. It seems to run hot to the touch. It has a Fan inside which I have not seen or heard running. Just wondered if any members with the same Amp know if this is normal.

Thanks Tibi
Mine does this. I've never heard the fan turn on in my AG-H350.

I lent it to my father and he had it connected to some old AAL bookshelf speakers for a time and said he had problems with it going into protect mode. He doesn't listen all that loud. I took it back home and I haven't been able to replicate the failure so I attribute it to him having it in a restricted space (unable to properly ventilate) and possibly using bad wiring. He's been using a Yamaha Pianocraft receiver since without problems, though it ventilates through the top rather than the sides and back like the AG-H350. Not sure what to make of that.

I'd say as long as the receiver isn't going into protect mode you are probably fine and I wouldn't worry too much.

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

Audiophyte
Hello People,

I have recently dusted off my old Teac system and I would like to sell it. You guys seem to know what you are talking about so I thought I would see if anyone had any interest here before I went through the process of putting it on Ebay or any advice on how to get this to somebody who will appreciate it so it is not wasted!

I would really like this to go to a good home so if anyone knows somebody who is looking to expand then let me know.

Dan

DVD Player - DV-H500
CD Player - PD-H500i
Am/Fm Tuner - T-H500
Surround Sound Amplifier - AV-H500D
MiniDisc - MD-H500Di
Cassette - R-H500
LS-5.1U Speakers - 2xFront, 2xRear, 1xCentre, 1x Subwoofer

Remotes:
MiniDisc - RC-725
Amp/Multi - RC-767
DVD - RC-766

I have all the RCA signal cables, optical cable for he CD to Minidisc and cables to connect the remote system but no longer have speaker cables. Much of that got left under the floor boards!

The plugs have been replaced with a multi plug system. (photo below)

I have connected it together to make sure that it all works though. There are links to some videos at the bottom showing different parts of the system working.

This is showing the channels working

This is the Tuner working

This is the Cassette working

This is the built in test tone showing each channel works fine

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
@Dan Cooper

My advise to you since I don't live in the UK and don't know the market values of all these items over there, if you can sell the pieces individually and offer post. Selling them local will more than likely prevent you from getting a fair price. If you have any audio trading / selling sites that are prominent in the UK I'd suggest using them over eBay if possible. The most valuable pieces you have are the amplifier, CD player, and mini disc player, probably in that order. The tuners aren't worth much, nor are the DVD players. The tape deck could go either way. The speakers aren't terribly valuable either. Sorry I don't have any concrete numbers for you, but as I said I'm not sure what the values are for those items are in the UK. They're far more common there than in the States. We yanks don't get neat stuff like that as much.

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for your advice. I actually live in America myself (nashville), I am just back for a visit.

I completely understand about offering it up separately. It makes a lot of sense. I am going to have a go on eBay as a package first as if it goes, I can save a lot of time!

D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Those are a tough sale if they're 220v 50 cycles. Good luck.

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
If they are 240v you will have to sell them in the EU, no one in the US will want them.

M

melloncollie64

Audiophyte
hi , i am new to this forum but thought i would mention something here.
cleaning out a closet recently , discovered i have several teac reference h 500 series products.
some have original boxes. they look in pretty good shape and worked great before i stored them .
i did not use them for long after buying as
i shortly after purchasing started to collect and restore vintage stereo tube gear so i have no use for the teacs . not to mention i have way to much tube hi-fi gear i cannot use either !
figured before i put on ebay or similar would mention here in case someone is interested . i am in the states on the east coast. great forum !
Hi,
I am interested in the Teac pieces. What do you have left or would still consider selling from the series? Thanks.
mark

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis