Can I Use Regular Speakers as Dolby Atmos Upfiring?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We've received numerous emails from our readers asking if they could repurpose ordinary speakers they have laying around as Dolby Atmos Upfiring units as opposed to purchasing specific Atmos-enabled speakers. We talk about what is in a Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker and whether or not they are better suited for the task than regular speakers. Of course we always recommend direct firing speakers for height channels, but as a last resort, what should one do?

Read: Can I Use Regular Speakers as Dolby Atmos Upfiring?

Be sure to tell us what you use in the comments below.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a little surprised that there's no mention of a well-regarded Atmos enabled speaker that's been out for a couple of years now, and isn't recessed into its housing. That would be the KEF R50.

In looking at their specs, I notice that frequency response is stated to be 105hz to 18.5khz @ +/-3dB. Now I have no idea if the 5-1/4" driver cone profile has been modified from the one used in the R100 that looks so similar or if all they're done is modify the crossover, though I suspect the latter.

The R50 is a flat bottom speaker that can be placed up on top of many speakers, though the length and width dimensions seem to match the R500 speakers.

Has anyone heard those speakers implimented into an Atmos system?

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
I use ordinary (35 year old) bookshelf speakers as my Atmos speakers (mounted Top Middle). The purists would not like the fact that they aren't actually mounted in/on the ceiling, but I'm pretty happy with them mounted high on the side walls (angled towards MLP). They are part of the setup I used in writing my Yamaha Aventage AVR article a few months ago.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I never believed in Atmos technology and I still think it's a gimmick, but if you must utilize it, I think the ONLY way it can actually improve the surround experience is if the speakers are located WHERE THE SOUND IS SUPPOSED TO BE COMING FROM, otherwise, it will be a degradation regardless of the design. IMO, the question is: If you removed the ceiling and let the Atmos sounds play through those Atmos-enabled speakers, would you be able to hear those sounds sitting in your theater seat? If the answer is yes, which I'm sure it is- even if at reduced level- then the end result will actually be worse than if you let your psychology do it for you (IE: The sound coming from your high mounted surround speakers corresponding to say a fly over, definitely sounds like coming from above and will be much better than a pseudo Atrmos deployment on top of your front speakers) just my $.02.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im of the same opinion that "Atmos" is a sales gimmick and that any bookshelf speaker with a decent frequency response will perform the same if not better then an "atmos" designed speaker. I read PSB's online glossy and felt disappointed with their advertizing lingo. PSB makes excellent performing speakers at all of their price points so they should not be resorting to the advertisement lingo. My take is that their reference to Atmos speaker is its designed to be specifically mounted on top of their Imagine series speakers. The 4 inch driver on their Atmos speaker is the same driver found on the Imagine Mini, a high performing speaker with an exceptional flat response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think Atmos itself is a gimmick. I do think 'Atmos-ready' speakers are a gimmick. Atmos is just a new way to mix sound, and it can become a straightforward system or something ridiculous because there is a lot of flexibility in possible setups due to the nature of the mixing scheme.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I will reserve judgement on how well or not that Atmos and how various speaker types work until I hear them. I don't think it is a gimmick. We are in the infancy of learning what can work, what can sound good and what is a miserable failure. I've heard it once, in a commercial theater, and thought it was pretty darn good. I want to hear a couple of home systems before I decide to dive in but I'm not going to dismiss it until I've heard some good examples.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think Atmos itself is a gimmick. I do think 'Atmos-ready' speakers are a gimmick. Atmos is just a new way to mix sound, and it can become a straightforward system or something ridiculous because there is a lot of flexibility in possible setups due to the nature of the mixing scheme.
What is so different from an Atmos speaker thats supposed to be ceiling mounted verses a regular ceiling mount speaker?
Are they both not suppose to reproduce the signal with the flattest frequency response possible while maintaining as little distortion as possible while throwing a wide and deep articulate soundstage?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is so different from an Atmos speaker thats supposed to be ceiling mounted verses a regular ceiling mount speaker?
Are they both not suppose to reproduce the signal with the flattest frequency response possible while maintaining as little distortion as possible while throwing a wide and deep articulate soundstage?
Dolby has outlined the ideal characteristics for ceiling speakers for Atmos. They would not appear to be much different than a typical ceiling speaker.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see a difference in ceiling speakers. My guess is that there may be speaker manufacturers who would market a ceiling speaker with the trademark Atmos® attached just to boost sales but really no difference.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dolby has outlined the ideal characteristics for ceiling speakers for Atmos. They would not appear to be much different than a typical ceiling speaker.
So, logically, it would appear that the Atmos speakers are nothing more than a marketing ploy.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So, logically, it would appear that the Atmos speakers are nothing more than a marketing ploy.
I don't see that. There are different kinds of ceiling speakers out there, and Atmos recommends a certain type, which looks to be the most common type, ie you don't want to use dipole ceiling speakers, etc. If there is something like an official 'Atmos compatible' designation, that would be marketing speak, but it wouldn't be much worse than "THX certified" this or that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't see that. There are different kinds of ceiling speakers out there, and Atmos recommends a certain type, which looks to be the most common type, ie you don't want to use dipole ceiling speakers, etc. If there is something like an official 'Atmos compatible' designation, that would be marketing speak, but it wouldn't be much worse than "THX certified" this or that.
Can you show me an example of a dipole ceiling speaker? I'm trying to visualize two speakers firing 180 degrees out of phase.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can you show me an example of a dipole ceiling speaker? I'm trying to visualize two speakers firing 180 degrees out of phase.
Meant to say bipole, but I did a search for a dipole ceiling speaker and there is this.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dipoles and bipoles are designed specifically for surround sound use, something that isn't speced for by Atmos. So again, logically, one can make the assumption that atmos specced speakers is just an advertising gimmick and any decent ceiling speaker will do.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dipoles and bipoles are designed specifically for surround sound use, something that isn't speced for by Atmos. So again, logically, one can make the assumption that atmos specced speakers is just an advertising gimmick and any decent ceiling speaker will do.
The value of an 'Atmos spec' is that it rules out bipoles and dipoles, so it at least it gives people some guidance without having to dig in the literature. To you and me it might not be very helpful, but for casual shoppers of home theater components, at least it prevents them from making elementary mistakes like using bipoles or dipoles as surrounds.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The value of an 'Atmos spec' is that it rules out bipoles and dipoles, so it at least it gives people some guidance without having to dig in the literature. To you and me it might not be very helpful, but for casual shoppers of home theater components, at least it prevents them from making elementary mistakes like using bipoles or dipoles as surrounds.
Why are you going circular on me and arguing with me that ordinary ceiling speakers will do and that Atmos specced speakers are just a gimmick?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am saying if there is an Atmos certification for ceiling speakers, which I haven't even heard of, then at least it will disqualify non-conventional ceiling speakers. That isn't much but its better than nothing, so I would say its not a gimmick for at least having some small usefulness for uneducated shoppers.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I am saying if there is an Atmos certification for ceiling speakers, which I haven't even heard of, then at least it will disqualify non-conventional ceiling speakers. That isn't much but its better than nothing, so I would say its not a gimmick for at least having some small usefulness for uneducated shoppers.

Correct, to my knowledge there are no Atmos certified in-ceiling or height speakers, the only speakers that are Atmos certified are Atmos enabled speakers and upfiring modules. And the reason that Atmos wants you to use "these" certified speakers is because they are frequency limited to their spec, to go along with the frequency limited signal that is sent to "enabled/reflective" speakers. This frequency limiting is supposed to aid the reflection characteristics of the speaker.

As for in-ceiling, it's simply... wide dispersion, aimed straight down, in the proper location.

D

DocSteve

Enthusiast
i am stuck, my amp is atmos compatable, but i have 18 foot vault ceiling with a shelf @12 ft up where i could put bookshelf speakers for atmos, now would you lie them down or face the room, or buy atmos speakers and let mcacc set them up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis