Panasonic P65VT60G 2 years old review

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
on Dec 2014 I bought this tv from my local dealer for (around usd 3200)

The display broke on Dec 2015 (30cm vertical black bar solid not transparent on the right side of the panel). I called local dealer and was referred to Panasonic service center, at first I was told that the plasma gas escaped, upon further inspection they told me it was main board issue, they loaned a 32inch low end LCD tv for three months free of charge, after my set came back i inspected the set and noticed multiple hairline scratches on the tv stand and back, I opened a month later and noticed missing screw on main board (2 screws was under the main board, 1 bigger screw missing on the middle main board), they are not very thorough(translated, I don't know if this is the correct English word) huh. edit1: they asked me if I wanted to change my set to TH60AS700G, which I refused of course.

anyway let me tell you my experience using this set. I use this mainly for watching movie(this include anime, blu ray movie, youtube), browsing websites, yes it is connected to my HTPC, my OS is windows 10, display scaling is set to 100%, text is small but I still can see it.

Good thing,

THX Cinema, I fell in love when i see this mode from the very first day.

but,

Pixel Orbit, this is a neat feature to prevent image retention, but I never like this mode, it is very annoying, text on my tv became soft.

Image Retention, at first I allowed windows taskbar to be shown at all time, this cause a very long image retention, I used built in screen wipe for few days and after 1 month it was gone, now I use auto hide taskbar and no more image retention till today.

Horizontal Line Bleed, This is quite annoying I thought that this is HDMI cable problem, HTPC problem, after searching around the Internet, this is a plasma problem, when downloading something using chrome the downloading line was very clear, but for watching movie, this is not a problem as I have seen hundred thousand episodes of movie I have never seen Horizontal Line bleed once.

Buzzing sound, everyone know plasma buzz a lot, but what really cause it to buzz? I set my graphic card to 60Hz display rate and white image, OMG this is crazy I can hear it from 3meter(9ft). then i lowered it to 23Hz and the buzz is almost gone. If i put a pillow on the back, most left and most right of the panel it won't buzz as much.

Fan Noise, this one is also a problem, I can hear this from 3meter(9ft), tried pillow but no cure.

Built in speaker, I know when someone can afford this tv they are not looking for the speaker, I compared the built in speaker to my kef Q100, and it is like comparing Apple to Orange, I can hear it only if i pump the sound to 50+, sound quality is terrible.

Software update, also terrible, there are 2 way to update this tv from the setting, when i checked from setting, I was told my tv was updated, but when I checked from other menu, it started to download an update, I was speechless.

TV menu, so many image enhancement menu, I tested everything, but every time i did, I will come back to THX Cinema with everything off.

Conclusion,

This tv is only for people who love image quality but can stand all the problem mentioned above.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis