Thoughts on Reaction Audio?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The interesting thing about this is the JNDs of bass depends on sound pressure levels. The differences that can be heard in low frequencies can be finer than bands which our ears are most sensitive, 1 kHz to 4 kHz. Look how the lines of the equal loudness curves bunch up in the lows:

In many other ways our hearing in low frequencies is much worse than higher frequencies, but at the point where we start to hear low frequencies, our ability to distinguish differences in sound pressure is actually quite good.
Yes, that is the equal loudness chart.
David Clark has a JAES paper called High Resolution Subjective testing Using a Double Blind Comparator, JAES May 1982, page 330 to 338, fig 2, shows the degree of level matching for various bandwidths and center frequencies necessary to eliminate audio frequency response effect for music sources. The graph has been posted on line in the past I think here and elsewhere.
To me this is in essence a JND graph. At 20 Hz it shows 3 dB at the best to detect level difference.
I think JND and equal loudness are not the same and the latter cannot show JND.
But, I certainly could be way off base. ;) Known to happen, from time to time. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I care a lot more for things like using modern amps vs a BASH design, better DSP controls etc, in those respects PSA and SVS are on top, HSU still uses their old amps and forums are full of people complaining about them.
Why do you think BASH is not a modern design? Forums full of people complaining about them, where? Do you think ICE amps are modern?

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Why do you think BASH is not a modern design? Forums full of people complaining about them, where? Do you think ICE amps are modern?
To be perfectly honest I don't know enough. I do remember reading the SVS blog when they moved from BASH to Sledge amps and said they had better performance as well as controls/dsp in digital domain. I think ICE amps are similar, they seem to be very well regarded and used by many companies e.g JTR, Mark Seaton etc.

I've read issues with older BASH designs dying on a few forums (avs, HSU's forum, HTshack) but again I don't know enough to extrapolate from that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
BASH is a topology that can be made by any company that has a license, so it can have a range of quality control. Sometimes an amp on an older sub dies, but these subs tend to be pretty old. I can only say that I have a whole gob of old BASH amps and they word fine, never had a problem. ICE amps are very efficient class D amps which have useful DSPs, but the topology itself is not inherently better. Btw, they are a licensed design too. I remember a discussion I had with a person in the industry who did not care for ICE amps because their continuous power was nothing like their instantaneous power.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hey DJ,
That was 3/5/16.
Sorry to notice that you got mired in this quagmire before it became obvious quagmire!
How are things sitting today?
They seem to be good subs if you can get them, but this has to raise questions about RA's long term health and support should you have issues.
Hey Kurt, I just spoke with Jeremy a couple of days ago, and he's refunding my payment. He's just having all sorts of supply chain issues, and simply can't get the orders out, so...

Looks like I'll be shopping around when time permits. It's not like I have nothing - the SVS subs are still bumping, It sux because I was really looking forward to these.

DJ

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Kurt, I just spoke with Jeremy a couple of days ago, and he's refunding my payment. He's just having all sorts of supply chain issues, and simply can't get the orders out, so...

Looks like I'll be shopping around when time permits. It's not like I have nothing - the SVS subs are still bumping, It sux because I was really looking forward to these.

DJ

Ps: You should update this post in any event...JMO. If and when RA(Jeremy) comes through for you it could help ease some of the tension...that he is trying to do good.

I wish you and others best of luck....

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2521625-tracking-orders-refunds-reaction-audio.html#post45595777

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis