Its beginning to look like Vizio is the display to beat in value..

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
We have a Vizio in our living room that's very nice.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen a lot of their displays, always seem very good at low prices!

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
image.jpeg
55" m series in the garage.. Looks small on that wall but I had
To move my watching chair back a couple feet compared to the old 32"
Great picture..even when sun is out- garage faces south.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Vizio is good enough for me. I'm going to buy all Vizio LED 1080p TVs for my new house, except for the Theater room.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My only concern with Vizio is reliability. The newer models do offer a heck of a lot for they money, but the chain stores they sell them at (Best Buy / Walmart / Target) etc the usual reply I get from the people that sell them, is that they take a lot of returns. I don't know if that has changed.

http://hdguru.com/disposable-tvs-vizio-tells-owners-their-sets-are-un-repairable/5485/

I am sure you can find negatives for any TV maker. I have had a total of 6 Sony LCD/LED TVs since 2006ish. I only had 1 TV have issues, and because I bought it from a dealer, they replaced it for free with a newer model.

I still have my 55" XBR4 from 2007, even being an LCD and about 100lbs, still has a great picture and the best sound from any LCD TV I have heard.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The individual electronic components of any device are rated for performance. For example the capacitor, transistor, etc may be rated for 80 percent, meaning 20 percent of the product will likely fail. Such a component would be cheap and would likely be associated with cheap electronics. On the other hand, a component may be rated at 99 percent, meaning only a 1 percent likely failure. Hi grade TVs have such components. Thing is, today these are not as appreciated by consumers since technology promotes replacement at intervals short of the actual useful product life. Seems that most folks just want the most features, these folks are not thinking at all about how long the product will last. I've got component over thirty years old that still work flawlessly, Like a Sony TC-K 950ES Cassette Deck. Do you think any of today's Sony component are built like that?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The individual electronic components of any device are rated for performance. For example the capacitor, transistor, etc may be rated for 80 percent, meaning 20 percent of the product will likely fail. Such a component would be cheap and would likely be associated with cheap electronics. On the other hand, a component may be rated at 99 percent, meaning only a 1 percent likely failure. Hi grade TVs have such components. Thing is, today these are not as appreciated by consumers since technology promotes replacement at intervals short of the actual useful product life. Seems that most folks just want the most features, these folks are not thinking at all about how long the product will last. I've got component over thirty years old that still work flawlessly, Like a Sony TC-K 950ES Cassette Deck. Do you think any of today's Sony component are built like that?
You are incorrect about how component reliability is measured. Electronics, both assemblies and components, are rated by the Mean Time Between Failures, or MTBF, under specified conditions. For capacitors, probably the most likely component to fail in an LCD monitor, two important conditions are temperature and voltage.

Also, since display technology is evolving so quickly, it is unlikely anyone would want to use a 30 year old monitor, so building one for that level of reliability seems silly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My only concern with Vizio is reliability. The newer models do offer a heck of a lot for they money, but the chain stores they sell them at (Best Buy / Walmart / Target) etc the usual reply I get from the people that sell them, is that they take a lot of returns. I don't know if that has changed.

http://hdguru.com/disposable-tvs-vizio-tells-owners-their-sets-are-un-repairable/5485/

I am sure you can find negatives for any TV maker. I have had a total of 6 Sony LCD/LED TVs since 2006ish. I only had 1 TV have issues, and because I bought it from a dealer, they replaced it for free with a newer model.

I still have my 55" XBR4 from 2007, even being an LCD and about 100lbs, still has a great picture and the best sound from any LCD TV I have heard.
I bought a Vizio back in 2007 and its still running flawlessly today even surviving water running through it when an over head pipe broke.

I think their reliability and reputation has surpassed that of LG.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think Vizio has been the value TV to beat for several years already.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I like the look of the P series 50" UHD/HDR (P50-C1). It is a tuner-less TV (read monitor) that is controlled with a supplied 6" android tablet. It has access to copious amounts of apps. It's a bold departure from what a conventional television set is, but it shows that Vizio is on the leading edge of what drives the consumer. For $900 you get a super smart 4K monitor with Dolby Vision with 128 local dimming zones in a slim attractive aluminum bezel. Pretty neat.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I bought a Vizio back in 2007 and its still running flawlessly today even surviving water running through it when an over head pipe broke.

I think their reliability and reputation has surpassed that of LG.
I can believe that, I had one LG TV, and it broke in just under a year :(

That's good to hear, it's my understanding that Vizio is a Marketing, not a manufacturing company, there are are lot of people who are completely happy with their TV, and you can't knock the price. I am sticking with Sony. I have had great luck, happy with the picture quality, and I won't have to deal with their Customer Service at all because I go through my dealer, he takes care of stuff :D

Vizio's new high end line does look nice, no doubt

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My brother also has all Vizio TVs in his new house for 3 years now without any issues.

Hopefully I will have the same luck as my brother and others on the forum.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

23825592441_e2c42919d3_z.jpg
You are incorrect about how component reliability is measured. Electronics, both assemblies and components, are rated by the Mean Time Between Failures, or MTBF, under specified conditions. For capacitors, probably the most likely component to fail in an LCD monitor, two important conditions are temperature and voltage.

Also, since display technology is evolving so quickly, it is unlikely anyone would want to use a 30 year old monitor, so building one for that level of reliability seems silly.
My post was not to present the process of measurement, I'm not an engineer, the point was to enlighten that components are indeed rated and devices which need to be reliable use components which are better than what we would get in disposable devices. The overall gist is most consumers want features today, the more features the better. This obsession with features and low price has a cost, a device which will not last as long as might be expected or desired. Maybe for some with the money to subscribe to all advances in technology it does not matter that a product last more than a few years. i'm not among that group. Most of my components in my home theatre are anywhere from 16 to over 30 years old. All of those components were indeed made to last. The benefit to me is unfettered pleasure. I don't think any device I could buy today would serve me as well. I cringe at just thinking about replacement of any of my components. Repairing them is more palatable yet parts for some of my components are no longer available.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My post was not to present the process of measurement, I'm not an engineer, the point was to enlighten that components are indeed rated and devices which need to be reliable use components which are better than what we would get in disposable devices. The overall gist is most consumers want features today, the more features the better. This obsession with features and low price has a cost, a device which will not last as long as might be expected or desired. Maybe for some with the money to subscribe to all advances in technology it does not matter that a product last more than a few years. i'm not among that group. Most of my components in my home theatre are anywhere from 16 to over 30 years old. All of those components were indeed made to last. The benefit to me is unfettered pleasure. I don't think any device I could buy today would serve me as well. I cringe at just thinking about replacement of any of my components. Repairing them is more palatable yet parts for some of my components are no longer available.
Your example, asserting that components were rated a certain way, that 20% are likely to fail, was just plain silly. I felt compelled to correct you. Components are differentiated by quality (some cheap capacitors are just crap, regardless of their rated MTBF) and ratings, but your assertion that somehow the components of the past are inherently better is just nonsense. You've convinced yourself that older audio components are inherently superior WRT longevity without data or evidence. You are correct that inexpensive AVRs make a trade-off between functionality and build quality that may not be optimal for performance, usability, or longevity, but the higher-end components you're comparing them to are not comparable to cheap AVRs or $400 32" LCD monitors.

You're also delusional, Mr. Shoote, about those Sony ES components you're displaying. I have owned several, because a family member worked for Sony, and I got them relatively cheaply with a employee discount. In fact, I still have an ES pre-amp/DAC from that era sitting in a closet. The A-stock ES CD player I ordered was DOA. The MSRPs when these components were new were quite high, and if you're comparing them to recent, comparably priced components, especially taking into account inflation, they wouldn't compare well at all in performance. As for your speakers, well, to each his own.

S

sterling shoote

Your example, asserting that components were rated a certain way, that 20% are likely to fail, was just plain silly. I felt compelled to correct you. Components are differentiated by quality (some cheap capacitors are just crap, regardless of their rated MTBF) and ratings, but your assertion that somehow the components of the past are inherently better is just nonsense. You've convinced yourself that older audio components are inherently superior WRT longevity without data or evidence. You are correct that inexpensive AVRs make a trade-off between functionality and build quality that may not be optimal for performance, usability, or longevity, but the higher-end components you're comparing them to are not comparable to cheap AVRs or $400 32" LCD monitors.

You're also delusional, Mr. Shoote, about those Sony ES components you're displaying. I have owned several, because a family member worked for Sony, and I got them relatively cheaply with a employee discount. In fact, I still have an ES pre-amp/DAC from that era sitting in a closet. The A-stock ES CD player I ordered was DOA. The MSRPs when these components were new were quite high, and if you're comparing them to recent, comparably priced components, especially taking into account inflation, they wouldn't compare well at all in performance. As for your speakers, well, to each his own.
Actually i'm not delusional; but, I sense I must have touched a nerve of yours. After all this is a hobbyist forum. There's no reason to use such aggressive language here. This is fun stuff and opinions should all be welcome here. Don't be such a bully.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I know I sound like every other old curmedgon but I rue the day that plasma went the way of the Do-Do. I LOVE my Samsung plasma and have gotten about 6 or 7 years of enjoyment out of it so far. Hopefully it keeps running for many years because I don't look forward to having to buy an LCD if/when it fails.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know I sound like every other old curmedgon but I rue the day that plasma went the way of the Do-Do. I LOVE my Samsung plasma and have gotten about 6 or 7 years of enjoyment out of it so far. Hopefully it keeps running for many years because I don't look forward to having to buy an LCD if/when it fails.
That fear is based on days of old and would really ease if you checked out the new LCD offerings which come extremely close to plasma's performance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis