M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
I've had my pc in the living room for a while now hooked up to my Onkyo tx-nr609 with no issues, but I recently purchased a new video card, Nvidia gtx 970. Now I get no signal to the TV with the pc hooked up to the receiver. I've tried every resolution setting on the pc and on the receiver still just a black screen. I've tried multiple HDMI cables. I've tried every HDMI input on the back of the receiver. All to no avail. The pc hooked up directly to the back of the TV works perfectly fine. I feel I should mention that while the pc is booting up the initial boot screen and Windows loading screen are visible but when Windows finishing loading, boom nothing. I am running Windows 10. Video card drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yeah, sounds like HDCP handshake issue. Possibly some device in the loop doesn't quite support it and it seems like the receiver is one to blame on.

Possibly you may find some better advice on PC oriented forums like Hardforum

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've had my pc in the living room for a while now hooked up to my Onkyo tx-nr609 with no issues, but I recently purchased a new video card, Nvidia gtx 970. Now I get no signal to the TV with the pc hooked up to the receiver. I've tried every resolution setting on the pc and on the receiver still just a black screen. I've tried multiple HDMI cables. I've tried every HDMI input on the back of the receiver. All to no avail. The pc hooked up directly to the back of the TV works perfectly fine. I feel I should mention that while the pc is booting up the initial boot screen and Windows loading screen are visible but when Windows finishing loading, boom nothing. I am running Windows 10. Video card drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

I would say that card is no good. The fact it works connected to the TV and not the receiver, means that, that card does not support repeater architecture properly. Connecting to a receiver requires repeater architecture, connecting to a TV does not.

I would bet that that Nividia card is NOT HDCP certified and needs to go.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
What kind and wattage of power supply do you have?

Do you have the auxiliary power cords connected at the back corner of the 970?

The Nvidia video cards should be HDCP compliant. You can actually check this in the Nvidia control panel (if you can get it to work on another display).

A stupid question I know, but I should ask: Did you switch the HDMI cable to the output on the 970 itself?

Also try disconnecting any other monitors you may have. Windows can work really screwy with HDMI in the loop with another monitor. On that note, do you have a connection straight to the tv, and simultaneously one to the receiver (which is connected to the tv)? If so, disconnect the cable directly to the tv. Windows will see the same display device twice which really causes problems.

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
What kind and wattage of power supply do you have?

Do you have the auxiliary power cords connected at the back corner of the 970?

The Nvidia video cards should be HDCP compliant. You can actually check this in the Nvidia control panel (if you can get it to work on another display).

A stupid question I know, but I should ask: Did you switch the HDMI cable to the output on the 970 itself?

Also try disconnecting any other monitors you may have. Windows can work really screwy with HDMI in the loop with another monitor. On that note, do you have a connection straight to the tv, and simultaneously one to the receiver (which is connected to the tv)? If so, disconnect the cable directly to the tv. Windows will see the same display device twice which really causes problems.
Power supply is a Thermaltake 850w. Yes the power cords for the 970s are hooked up.

And yes I've hooked up the HDMI cable directly to the video card. I've tried several different HDMI cables.

And lastly, yes I've unhooked any other monitors, as this was going to be my default method of viewing this computer directly through the TV. My first attempt was just plugging it in the way it was before the video card swap out.

I have an Xbox and an AT&T uverse box hooked up to this receiver via HDMI without any problems. And I've also tried to plug the pc into the HDMI port on the receiver that the uverse is plugged into (I've tried all the ports actually). No luck.

ps, I haven't had time to mess with it since my original post. Tomorrow I may try again. And I'll check the Nvidia control panel for the HDCP. Thanks for the reply.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Power supply is a Thermaltake 850w. Yes the power cords for the 970s are hooked up.

And yes I've hooked up the HDMI cable directly to the video card. I've tried several different HDMI cables.

And lastly, yes I've unhooked any other monitors, as this was going to be my default method of viewing this computer directly through the TV. My first attempt was just plugging it in the way it was before the video card swap out.

I have an Xbox and an AT&T uverse box hooked up to this receiver via HDMI without any problems. And I've also tried to plug the pc into the HDMI port on the receiver that the uverse is plugged into (I've tried all the ports actually). No luck.

ps, I haven't had time to mess with it since my original post. Tomorrow I may try again. And I'll check the Nvidia control panel for the HDCP. Thanks for the reply.

Ok good. Sorry for asking the obvious things first, but its easier to just start from the beginning.

I am 99% sure it is not an HDCP issue on the graphics cards end. I have a 780 and it works just fine with this technology. In fact this tech would be needed to run Blu Rays on a Blu Ray drive. The only thing I could think of is if there was a quirk/defect with 970s.

My guess if the Windows resolution settings are not being taken by the receiver. Try scaling down the Windows desktop resolution to 720p (or worse) at 24hz refresh rate (try a few different ones), and see if you get a picture and we can work from there.

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
Ok good. Sorry for asking the obvious things first, but its easier to just start from the beginning.

I am 99% sure it is not an HDCP issue on the graphics cards end. I have a 780 and it works just fine with this technology. In fact this tech would be needed to run Blu Rays on a Blu Ray drive. The only thing I could think of is if there was a quirk/defect with 970s.

My guess if the Windows resolution settings are not being taken by the receiver. Try scaling down the Windows desktop resolution to 720p (or worse) at 24hz refresh rate (try a few different ones), and see if you get a picture and we can work from there.
Okay tonight I will try some different resolution settings and report back.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Okay tonight I will try some different resolution settings and report back.

I agree, be sure that this isn't some resolution problem that the AVR can't handle.

Do you get any AUDIO out of the computer via HDMI? If you do, then I doubt that it's a handshake problem, and my $ is on the resolution or maybe refresh rate. I think the fact that you get to see the flash screen also suggests that it isn't a handshake problem.

HDMI from a computer to an AVR can be a tricky situation, for sure! When I had Win7 and went straight from my MSI Vid Card to my AVR, about every 5 minutes I would get this odd and unexplained "screen go black and refresh quickly" problem. It was a nuisance and I couldn't get it to work correctly so I just went HDMI to my TV and then used digi coax to the AVR for audio. When I recently upgraded to Win10, I tried the direct connection to the AVR via HDMI again (exact same hardware, only Win10 upgrade), and that problem is now completely gone!

PS: Upgrading something and introducing new problems into your system is not uncommon.

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
Okay, Still having the same problem. I know its been almost a year lol. I still want this to work, just haven't had the time, or feeling patient enough to mess with it lately. So according to all my research My Onkyo tx-nr609 is HDCP compliant, as well as my NVIDIA 970. Thanks for the suggestion of checking NVIDIA Control Panel though, because it led me to this...

For this screenshot I setup two displays, my tv which you can see on the left, and the Onkyo receiver which is selected on the right, this screenshot was taken using the HDMI that is connected directly from the PC to the TV. Again when I go to the receiver I get just a black screen (I feel like it is worth mentioning that if I select a different input on the receiver, one that has nothing plugged into it, I get a blue screen. not black). I did try different resolutions as well. I tried changing the default screen to the receiver as well. no luck. And then it says "Your graphics card and display are HDCP capable"... BUT then below you can see it says "ALERT: A repeater is connected to your system. Some video applications do not support HDCP when a repeater is present". This alert is not present when I click on the tv.

I'm not sure what is meant by a repeater... Is this potentially the problem? Or is this alert a standard thing you would see when you have pc plugged into a receiver plugged into a tv?

I do plan on upgrading the firmware for the receiver soon. I just need to find that dang USB stick...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Okay, Still having the same problem. I know its been almost a year lol. I still want this to work, just haven't had the time, or feeling patient enough to mess with it lately. So according to all my research My Onkyo tx-nr609 is HDCP compliant, as well as my NVIDIA 970. Thanks for the suggestion of checking NVIDIA Control Panel though, because it led me to this...

For this screenshot I setup two displays, my tv which you can see on the left, and the Onkyo receiver which is selected on the right, this screenshot was taken using the HDMI that is connected directly from the PC to the TV. Again when I go to the receiver I get just a black screen (I feel like it is worth mentioning that if I select a different input on the receiver, one that has nothing plugged into it, I get a blue screen. not black). I did try different resolutions as well. I tried changing the default screen to the receiver as well. no luck. And then it says "Your graphics card and display are HDCP capable"... BUT then below you can see it says "ALERT: A repeater is connected to your system. Some video applications do not support HDCP when a repeater is present". This alert is not present when I click on the tv.

I'm not sure what is meant by a repeater... Is this potentially the problem? Or is this alert a standard thing you would see when you have pc plugged into a receiver plugged into a tv?

I do plan on upgrading the firmware for the receiver soon. I just need to find that dang USB stick...
This is the translation. Your Nividia card is only HDCP compliant if connected to an end device such as a TV. It does not support repeater architecture and is not HDCP compliant with devices that receive and send HDMI like a receiver does. Your receiver is the repeater.

So your card will not pass a signal to a TV via a receiver. You need a different HDMI card that is not only HDCP compliant but also supports repeater architecture.

An end device like a TV is only required to make an initial handshake, whereas a receiver which is a repeater device is required to make a handshake at least every five seconds. Your card can not do this only makes an initial handshake.

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
Wow, and I thought I was upgrading to one of the best cards available. So how do I know which cards will or will not work? Is the 980ti a card that supports repeater architecture?

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
Also, after scouring the Internet why was this so difficult to diagnose, I would think this would be relatively common issue, no?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Get a $20-30 ATI Radeon card... That should solve it. I've had issues in the past with Onkyo receivers and HTPC's though. Add that to the other issues I've experienced in the past with Onkyo and I simply recommend Denon now.

M

Morgan Fisher

Audiophyte
This is a gaming pc, so a $30 card won't work. I've been using an optical cable to connect audio to receiver and connect video directly to TV.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You can put more than one display adapter in the machine, mirror the displays and put the Radeon into another HDMI input on the AVR.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This is a gaming pc, so a $30 card won't work. I've been using an optical cable to connect audio to receiver and connect video directly to TV.
I think for best performance for HT and gamers is the Intel Ivy bridge processors.

If you are a gamer you need the i7 Ivy Bridge. These processors need no video or audio cards.

You will need a new mother board with HDMI connectivity to take the chip.

I'm not a gamer and use the i5. It gives superb performance with an ASSUS board.

I know gamers are really happy with the i7. It can be overclocked without blowing up.

If you are routinely using a computer as part of your HT system and want the best performance available all round, then you should have an Ivy Bridge system in my view.

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
I have bose jewel(please don't start blaming me) at my house also refuse my nvidia gtx 450, plug into my denon avp a1hd it works. So I use amd graphic(heatsink only, forgot model number) and it works. So this particular pc have 2 graphics 1 amd for bose and 1 gtx450 for gaming.

I have yet to try Ivy bridge, but my Intel NUC refuse to work properly with powerdvd, intel driver no realtek.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Wow, and I thought I was upgrading to one of the best cards available. So how do I know which cards will or will not work? Is the 980ti a card that supports repeater architecture?
I am not sure. Send an Email to Nvidia, or EVGA (main manufacturer to use Nvidia chips).

Before that try emailing AMD or your video card manufacturer about it.

p.s.

Don't get a 980ti, they are now obsolete. Get a GTX 1080 instead (or even a 1070).

T

Tao1

Audioholic
I think for best performance for HT and gamers is the Intel Ivy bridge processors.

If you are a gamer you need the i7 Ivy Bridge. These processors need no video or audio cards.

You will need a new mother board with HDMI connectivity to take the chip.

I'm not a gamer and use the i5. It gives superb performance with an ASSUS board.

I know gamers are really happy with the i7. It can be overclocked without blowing up.

If you are routinely using a computer as part of your HT system and want the best performance available all round, then you should have an Ivy Bridge system in my view.

Most of the work in gaming is done by the video card. Modern PCI-e video cards have waaaaaaaaayyyy more processing power than the CPU. You 'only need' a CPU which can feed enough of the basic data to the GPU to run at full speed. Generally, processors a generation or two behind ivy bridge work just fine for gaming with little to no noticeable difference. In fact with the new skylake CPUs (generation after ivy bridge), many reviewers didn't recommend an upgrade to skylake, unless you were 3 or 4 generations out of date. They recommend video card upgrades instead.

Also i7s don't do much for gaming. They are better suited for programs which can use multiple threads and cores (rendering, etc). You will notice a difference outside of gaming when using these programs, but not so much in game. Most games aren't optimized for using all available threads and cores, so a single core with a higher clock speed is better: i.e. the faster the CPU boost/turbo/overclock the better for gaming, rather than number of cores.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Most of the work in gaming is done by the video card. Modern PCI-e video cards have waaaaaaaaayyyy more processing power than the CPU. You 'only need' a CPU which can feed enough of the basic data to the GPU to run at full speed. Generally, processors a generation or two behind ivy bridge work just fine for gaming with little to no noticeable difference. In fact with the new skylake CPUs (generation after ivy bridge), many reviewers didn't recommend an upgrade to skylake, unless you were 3 or 4 generations out of date. They recommend video card upgrades instead.

Also i7s don't do much for gaming. They are better suited for programs which can use multiple threads and cores (rendering, etc). You will notice a difference outside of gaming when using these programs, but not so much in game. Most games aren't optimized for using all available threads and cores, so a single core with a higher clock speed is better: i.e. the faster the CPU boost/turbo/overclock the better for gaming, rather than number of cores.
The problem is that he wants to use his computer connected to a receiver and then out to the TV. Video cards are very hit and miss in this regard and miss more often than hit.

I'm very pleased indeed with my Ivy Bridge HTPC. No HDMI issues at all and it runs Windows 10 superbly. There is perfect integration of audio and video. I love not having to have video and sound cards!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis