Danger if testing speaker with defective passive crossover?

M

Maculosa

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm new and i need advice from audio/electronics experts.

I have a set of 80' high end Ribbon Speakers. (Apogee Acoustics)
They are in very good condition but they are not being used for at least 20 years.

I would like to test them if they are still working. (they will be hooked on a Krell Ksa200 amplifier)
Those speakers both use a passive crossover box, i'm wondering if the crossover are defective, can they damage the speakers or there is no risk of damaging the speakers?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Do you have any reason to think the crossovers are defective? The only danger would be if the series capacitors in the tweeter circuit were for some reason passing a full frequency signal to the tweeter. I don't know how that would happen--it's more likely that they would be completely open and not pass any signal if something had gone wrong. I think it's OK to hook one of the speakers up and start at very low volume. If the tweeter ribbon sounds distorted close up, I would shut down. Otherwise, you can gradually increase the volume and listen carefully.

M

Maculosa

Audiophyte
Thank you very much for the answer.
I have no real reason to think they are defective except they have been stored for over 20 years.
(but well stored, same for the Divas.)
I just want to be sure there is no danger or if i should take any precaution.
There is good chance the speakers will be for sale if they are still working fine.
I want to be carefull.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis