That Sour and bitter drink

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am pretty sure that BSA talked me into the Nespresso and at my level of coffee drinking, it has been perfect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was wrong when I said bitter. A better way to describe it would be, coffee brewed at too low a temperature results in dulling of the higher, more vivid cup tones, and incomplete extraction of the coffee flavors overall. Depending on the coffee I'm using, this can result in a flat tasting bitter cup.

Cheap electric drip brewers invariably fail to brew coffee at the correct temperature; most home electric drip brewers reach only about 185°. People have tested the Technivorms. There is a steep drop off once the water hits the grounds and then drops to the pot – that is to be expected. It produces water at 195-205° F at the brew head, 160° in the grounds, and 156° just after it drips into the insulated pot. I find that is too hot to actually taste anything, so I let it cool in the cup before I drink it. I don't know what temperature that is.

Another major advantage of the Technivorm is that it lasts long. I've used mine daily for over 10 years. In every cheaper electric drip pot I've previously had, the electric heating element failed after about 2-3 year's use.

I've never used an Aeropress. It makes only one cup at a time and both my wife & I drink two in the morning. To use it, you have to boil water separately before pouring it in. That puts you in control of the temperature. In that sense, its not unlike the many manual filter drip cones, such as those Melittas.
I raised my temp by 10 degrees F this morning. Its hotter but not noticeably better....so far, just started sipping as I sat down at the 'puter :) I use an induction cooktop for my water kettle plus a hand held infrared thermometer as the readout on the cooktop thing isn't accurate (it tends to be higher than the reading by 5-10 degrees). I use Britta filter water or tap water, ours is pretty good well based forest-filtered water here.

LOL when my coffee drinking friends come over I whip out my second Aeropress (from the camping box), but it still frustrates their usual ritual of waiting until its made and drinking out of a multi-cup pot. I've used Chemex and Britta and french presses in the past, prefer the Aeropress....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never looked into a whole house water filter, but I can imagine it is expensive. Those activated charcoal filters have to be replaced often.

If you boil water, all the chlorine comes out as a gas just before the water comes to a boil.

Most of those water softener systems don't actually remove salt ions but exchange sodium (more soluble) for calcium (much less soluble). Some systems do actually capture and remove salt ions, but they must have large and expensive filters with 'ion exchange resins'.

The water where I live has more chlorine in the summer than the rest of the year.
Installer told us that activated charcoal needs to be replaced after 5 years - I call it quite reasonable.
My system does remove heavier metals from water - thus softening it. I does include ion exchange resins. Like I said - it wasn't cheap - think around 2k or so installed or so, but in long run - totally worth it.
Besides much pleasant water to take showers, it's tastes great from tap, which is important for us - heavy tea drinkers. It reduces amount of cleaning agents for dishwasher/laundry and both come out a bit clearer. It also extends life of any appliances which use water since heaters don't get damaged by scale.
And lastly - it certainly helps with coffee taste :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am pretty sure that BSA talked me into the Nespresso and at my level of coffee drinking, it has been perfect.
Very possible, like I said - Even I was at time impressed by 1-2 specialty pods for Nespresso, but never for K-cups.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For those looking for a possible coffee bean source on the East coast: http://www.aproastery.com/coffee/
They're in Asbury park, NJ.
We're black coffee and espresso drinkers, they have the best we've had so far, IMHO. (we not experts by any means)
Many Asbury Park restaurants serve their coffee.
They seem to be more of a walk-in place, though I'd think they'd ship you raw / roasted beans if you called them.
Thanks, I'll check them out If I'll be in the area. Good to have another option.
I found these guys:
http://www.royalny.com/pages/offerings
Any guesses why you don't see prices per/lbs on that page - a hint go to fractional bag offerings
I may order one of their "fractional bag" once I figure out better which green coffee I prefer.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've been going to a place called Blue Bottle. https://bluebottlecoffee.com/
For those looking for a possible coffee bean source on the East coast: http://www.aproastery.com/coffee/
They're in Asbury park, NJ.
It's always good to know of a good local roaster. Prices will be higher, I expect roughly $16 per lb for locally roasted coffee. That's why I buy green coffee at roughly $6-7 per lb and roast my own.

Some local places want to run a walk-in coffee shop, a local roasting business where they sell their own roasted coffee, or also supply local restaurants and stores. Some sell green coffee and some don't. You never know until you ask them. I asked the local roaster I like in the Maryland-DC-Virginia area, Swings, and they do sell green coffee but I don't think they really want to make a business out of it. Their price was the same per pound as their roasted coffee.

@BoredSysAdmin – your water system sounds very good. I'm more familiar with various water treatment systems for labs, where ion exchange resins, reverse osmosis systems, and steam distillers get used. These all have the goal of chemically pure water. If any of that water gets used in pharmaceuticals, it has the additional goal of being free of any microorganisms or their non-living products.

Home systems can be quite different, but a lot depends on the quality of locally available water. What works in one region may not have much to do with what works in another area. Any thing with de-ionizing 'ion exchange resins' is getting up there in price and the requirement for regular maintenance.

Removing calcium and magnesium ions ends up being important in areas where water is said to be 'hard'. These ions usually exist as lime salts (calcium carbonate & magnesium carbonate) in river water that comes out of limestone-rich areas. In home use, lime salts themselves form those whitish deposits, and they also form highly insoluble products with soaps and detergents. So if you have hard water with lime salts, even a water softening system that exchanges sodium for calcium & magnesium, will result in softer water.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone had Cold Brew Nitro Coffee yet?
If you haven't you should seek it out.
Asbury Park started serving it since Memorial Day.
Light years better than iced coffee IMHO

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Found nitro beer to be not entirely impressive because it makes it too mellow. How does the nitro come into play with the coffee?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Found nitro beer to be not entirely impressive because it makes it too mellow. How does the nitro come into play with the coffee?
I agree about beer on nitro. Guinness or some stouts seem to be some of the few that benefit from the creaminess the nitro adds.
As for the cold brew coffee result, it isn't bitter or acidic like coffee made with boiling water.
https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew
The nitro adds a smooth creaminess to the stronger coffee taste that the cold brew process seems to give. It isn't watered down like iced coffee tends to be.
No need for milk or sugar..... which we never use anyway.
Try it I'll bet you'll like it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I know how cold brew works, just wasn't sure about the nitro. It is a hot week so I may do some cold brew tonight. Just curious how the nitro affected it, sounds interesting.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I know how cold brew works, just wasn't sure about the nitro. It is a hot week so I may do some cold brew tonight. Just curious how the nitro affected it, sounds interesting.
If you get an opportunity try CB on nitro... IMHO Guinness would be just an average stout without it.
I've never made cold brew before, so any input would be appreciated.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I went from a cheap drip maker, to a Keurig, to a Hario V60 pourover and couldn't be happier. I also went from a cheap blade grinder, to a Capresso Infinity burr grinder, to my current Bartza Preciso burr grinder and love it. I recently purchased a Gaggia classic espresso machine, and it's been wonderful so far. I'd really like to get the new Rocket Appartamento one day, and a higher end grinder to go along with it. But for now the Preciso works well for grinding for pourover, espresso, and whatever my wife uses for the Keurig. I'm lucky enough to have several local roasters to choose from, so getting high quality, fresh coffee isn't too difficult, and it does make a world of difference. Maybe one day I'll get into home roasting, but for now I'm happy with my current setup.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I went from a cheap drip maker, to a Keurig, to a Hario V60 pourover and couldn't be happier. I also went from a cheap blade grinder, to a Capresso Infinity burr grinder, to my current Bartza Preciso burr grinder and love it. I recently purchased a Gaggia classic espresso machine, and it's been wonderful so far. I'd really like to get the new Rocket Appartamento one day, and a higher end grinder to go along with it. But for now the Preciso works well for grinding for pourover, espresso, and whatever my wife uses for the Keurig. I'm lucky enough to have several local roasters to choose from, so getting high quality, fresh coffee isn't too difficult, and it does make a world of difference. Maybe one day I'll get into home roasting, but for now I'm happy with my current setup.
Nice setup. I Gaggia classic is definitely a nice step up from my current Aroma with 58mm portafilter and 3 way solenoid. Preciso is also solid grinder, what I consider entry level true espresso grinder from Baratza (Maestro and Virtuoso just don't cut it)

Rocket Appartamento is very nice E61 HX machine, but I am more sucker for DB machines like Izzo Dueto or Profitec Pro700

Do you do milky drinks often?

spoiler: I am very close to upgrading my machine for something much nicer

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree about beer on nitro. Guinness or some stouts seem to be some of the few that benefit from the creaminess the nitro adds.
As for the cold brew coffee result, it isn't bitter or acidic like coffee made with boiling water.
https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew
The nitro adds a smooth creaminess to the stronger coffee taste that the cold brew process seems to give. It isn't watered down like iced coffee tends to be.
I think nitro, (compressed nitrogen used to make a drink bubbly instead of compressed carbon dioxide) is a marketing fad. Beer is naturally carbonated from brewing, and most beers don't need added compressed gas to make them bubbly. (Are there any?) It may be true that stouts might taste different with a nitro head, but I wouldn't know.

In coffee, I think added nitro is a novelty. I don't think I've ever seen naturally bubbly coffee. Espresso does have a head because it is brewed with very high pressure (about 10× atmospheric pressure) with very hot water at higher than 212°. When the espresso comes out into the cup, that high pressure falls to normal pressure, and all the dissolved gases come out of solution, making the frothy head – the crema.

People get confused by the term acidity in coffee. It refers to the zingy, sharp, bright flavor notes in coffee that we also taste in lemons or other citrus fruits, not the chemicals that burn holes in things. Some people get scared of so-called acidic coffees because they think this lively flavor is going to be something that will eat away their stomach lining. Another term for acidity in coffee "brightness".

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The nitro beers I've had were pretty good. Very smooth.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think nitro, (compressed nitrogen used to make a drink bubbly instead of compressed carbon dioxide) is a marketing fad. Beer is naturally carbonated from brewing, and most beers don't need added compressed gas to make them bubbly. (Are there any?) It may be true that stouts might taste different with a nitro head, but I wouldn't know.
Guinness adopted the current system of delivery using a nitrogen gas mixture in the very early 60's... pretty long lived for a fad.:D
The few bar managers I know just experiment to see how a beer might taste on nitro.
(I suppose as coffee places sell/try flavored coffee) It's a bit of marketing too, women tend to like the smoothness that nitro lends to beer.
Some craft bars experiment with a Randall device to add a different hop.

It's true that beer is naturally carbonated, but most of the carbon dioxide is allowed to escape during fermentation. So either natural and forced carbonation is used.
Off the top of my head I remember a few bottle conditioned beers (sure there are others)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...... Brooklyn Brewery Local 2.... a Chimay, I don't remember which one.... Dog Fish 75 Minute is done in the big bottle

In coffee, I think added nitro is a novelty. I don't think I've ever seen naturally bubbly coffee. Espresso does have a head because it is brewed with very high pressure (about 10× atmospheric pressure) with very hot water at higher than 212°. When the espresso comes out into the cup, that high pressure falls to normal pressure, and all the dissolved gases come out of solution, making the frothy head – the crema.
I'd try a nitro cold brew before passing judgment.
The nitro adds that crema that that regular cold brew lacks.
Nitro coffee doesn’t taste carbonated, but the tiny bubbles of nitrogen make already smooth, chocolatey cold brew even smoother. It’s refreshing and seems to taste sweeter, with a textural creaminess.
I don't drink as much hot coffee in the summer, so the cold brew is just the thing when it's hot out.
Enjoy one!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Guinness adopted the current system of delivery using a nitrogen gas mixture in the very early 60's... pretty long lived for a fad.:D
I've never much liked dark beers like stouts or porters, I'm more into amber ales & lagers. So I might be the last guy in the bar to know about nitro Guinness.

The chemist-geek in me insists on this brief lecture about using compressed nitrogen vs. carbon dioxide in cold drinks. Carbon dioxide dissolves in cold liquids and reacts with water to make hydrogen bicarbonate (H2CO3), a weak acid. The pH is as low as 5.5-6.0 and ranges up to 7.0 (neutral) as the carbon dioxide bubbles off. (Cold water straght out of the tap always has some carbon dioxide dissolved in it, and as a result the pH is usually lower than 7, more like 6.3-6.8.) It makes for a brisk mouth cleansing taste. Nitrogen also dissolves in cold water, but unlike carbon dioxide, it doesn't react with water. I can easily see that making a difference in taste and how it feels.

I would imagine that beer is somewhat acidic because of the natural carbonation, and flushing out that carbon dioxide with nitrogen would raise the pH a bit and could alter the flavor. Depending on the brew, that might be nice.

I really like making coffee at home, and I can't remember the last time I've had iced coffee. When it comes to new marketing trends (aka fads), I'm probably the last man in the western hemisphere to try them. I'm going to hang onto my ancient flip phone until the Smithsonian Museum insists I donate it to them :D.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Nice setup. I Gaggia classic is definitely a nice step up from my current Aroma with 58mm portafilter and 3 way solenoid. Preciso is also solid grinder, what I consider entry level true espresso grinder from Baratza (Maestro and Virtuoso just don't cut it)

Rocket Appartamento is very nice E61 HX machine, but I am more sucker for DB machines like Izzo Dueto or Profitec Pro700

Do you do milky drinks often?

spoiler: I am very close to upgrading my machine for something much nicer
I'd lover to have a dual boiler machine, but don't want to spend that much, I think a heat exchanger would suit me just fine. I'd really prefer a machine with a PID, but I think as long as I give a long enough cooling flush, temps won't be too big of an issue. I'll just have to see how much counter space and money I have when it's time to upgrade, but that's likely to be years down the road.

Yes, I only drink milk based espresso drinks, not a fan of straight espresso. I might like it if I had a fancy machine with pressure profiling and had the time to mess with getting it dialed in just right, but I don't geek out on it that hard.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd lover to have a dual boiler machine, but don't want to spend that much, I think a heat exchanger would suit me just fine. I'd really prefer a machine with a PID, but I think as long as I give a long enough cooling flush, temps won't be too big of an issue. I'll just have to see how much counter space and money I have when it's time to upgrade, but that's likely to be years down the road.

Yes, I only drink milk based espresso drinks, not a fan of straight espresso. I might like it if I had a fancy machine with pressure profiling and had the time to mess with getting it dialed in just right, but I don't geek out on it that hard.
PID on HX is oxymoron (yes - they do exist, but they are pointless), that said - probably E61 HX without pid machine is something you could upgrade to later one. I almost bought Quickmill Andreja Premium for $620
I am (actually was) on verge of getting La Spaziale vivaldi s1 (DB, not quite pid, but does electronic temp control) for $680 or less on CL, but wife kyboshed it due to required plumbing :(

Oh well, the search goes on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis