Good sub for Rock music, tight punchy bass, no boom. Under $1000.

Arthur Vin

Arthur Vin

Enthusiast
I currently own Polk PSW505 which is perfect for shaking walls and probably perfect for hip-hop/rap music, but for Rock - NO. It still can sound quite pleasant and punchy but only at lower volumes, increasing volume just makes it booming more.
I'm primarily into rock and other heavy music, and I need to feel that bass drum punch into my chest, clean and tight, no boooom, you know what I mean. Like if you would be in the first row of the rock concert.
My TSx 550T tower speakers with 2 x 8" woofers each actually produce more punchy bass than PSW505.

So, besides many factors that I've already learned from many articles, there's one last thing left.
I've been told that for tight punchy bass the sealed box subwoofer is the way to go.

So I'm looking for anything under $1000 that can give such kind of experience. Any suggestions?
I'm currently looking at these two:
1) SVS SB-1000 $500 on amazon
2) SVS SB-2000 $700 on amazon

Also, will it better to combine two SB-1000 or just leave single SB-2000?
Are they good by the way? :/

Thanks guys.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Man, you should call/email Enrico with Rythmik . They are the exclusive sub sold by Salk and Ascend Acoustics speaker companies and Enrico, the companies sales and technical manager, for lack of another title has an extensive musical background. Sounds like dual L12's or LVR12's would fit that bill and price range nicely. I have the LV12R and the amp has multiple extension settings and a 12/24dB LPF slope switch for use with the dual line inputs that give these sub's different sounds for different applications. Just another suggestion.

http://rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Rythmik, HSU, PSA, SVS.. All solid options for your desire. Sealed is supposed to be more controlled with smoother rolloff but well designed ported sub should work just as well.

edit: and yes, 2 subs would give you more even response than one sub.

Arthur Vin

Arthur Vin

Enthusiast
Man, you should call/email Enrico with Rythmik . They are the exclusive sub sold by Salk and Ascend Acoustics speaker companies and Enrico, the companies sales and technical manager, for lack of another title has an extensive musical background. Sounds like dual L12's or LVR12's would fit that bill and price range nicely. I have the LV12R and the amp has multiple extension settings and a 12/24dB LPF slope switch for use with the dual line inputs that give these sub's different sounds for different applications. Just another suggestion.

http://rythmikaudio.com/products1.html
What I see from the few reviews of L12 is that it's commonly compared to SB-2000 and found to be pretty similar experience. But considering price tag of L12, yeah, dual L12 seem to be very tempting option. Thanks. Meanwhile I ordered two SB-1000 and one SB-2000 thanks to SVS try'and'return offer. SB-1000 and l12 300WRMS seem to be pretty shallow for my needs, however if we combine two of those that won't be a problem right?

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
What I see from the few reviews of L12 is that it's commonly compared to SB-2000 and found to be pretty similar experience.
Yep. I got close to pulling the trigger on a 2 sub SB-2000 deal on Amazon but then switched to a ported sub and got the Rythmik LV12R. Then a month later got a 2 nd one. Nothing against SVS though. I like them. Just liked what I had researched with the Rythmik better for my situation.

[quote/]But considering price tag of L12, yeah, dual L12 seem to be very tempting option. Thanks.[/quote]

I almost sent my first LV12R back for an L12 instead due to my smaller sealed space( room gain) but I kept it and added a second ported sub instead. Mostly movies for me. You're very welcome.

[quote/] Meanwhile I ordered two SB-1000 and one SB-2000 thanks to SVS try'and'return offer.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a benefit of SVS's free trial period. Great subwoofer company with a solid warranty and customer service but there are other great quality sub's for similar or less money nowadays.

[quote/] SB-1000 and l12 300WRMS seem to be pretty shallow for my needs, however if we combine two of those that won't be a problem right?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put to too much emphasis into the WRMS with the better ID sub's. More to their performance than just their watts. Driver quality, excursion, DSP and type of enclosure all play their part as well. 2 sub's can help flatten the in room frequency response over a wider listening area assuming proper sub placement and add up to 6dB. 3 for the extra amp and 3 for the driver.

The Rythmik has a trial period as well but no free return shipping ( keeps their sub's cost down if you decide to keep it.) It's why I would definitely consult Enrico before hand to get help in deciding whether sealed or ported would be better for you as Rythmik sub's are a Direct Servo design and music sounds equally as good with either but more output at the port tuning frequency of the LV12R. He'll be a big help for you with that part though trust me.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
How big is your space? L x W x H and is it sealed or open to other spaces?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What I see from the few reviews of L12 is that it's commonly compared to SB-2000 and found to be pretty similar experience. But considering price tag of L12, yeah, dual L12 seem to be very tempting option. Thanks. Meanwhile I ordered two SB-1000 and one SB-2000 thanks to SVS try'and'return offer. SB-1000 and l12 300WRMS seem to be pretty shallow for my needs, however if we combine two of those that won't be a problem right?
Watts doesnt mean that much, it is more of the driver and design.

Arthur Vin

Arthur Vin

Enthusiast
How big is your space? L x W x H and is it sealed or open to other spaces?
A living room 35ft by 18ft, but it's not an open space entirely, it has a partial wall deviding space in two 18ft by 18ft, plus den/office room adding additional 16ftx16ft. Well, pretty unusual geometry.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
A living room 35ft by 18ft, but it's not an open space entirely, it has a partial wall deviding space in two 18ft by 18ft, plus den/office room adding additional 16ftx16ft. Well, pretty unusual geometry.
Got it. Yeah, that's a lot of space for a sealed sub. I'd go ported for the additional output. JMHO.

annunaki

annunaki

For rock music enthusiasts it comes down to mid bass. Most of
The pinch you can feel comes from the 60-150hz range. Granted there are a few bands out there with a low tuned kick drum so something cable down to 35hz is needed.

It is not about sealed vs ported/vented here, but rather execution of either design. A poorly designed sealed enclosure can be much more "boomy" than vented.

Most of the brands mentioned by the helpful folks already should suit your needs. I would highly recommend a dual sub option for the long term, even if it means you purchase one now and wait to add another.

Rhythmic has a pretty strong reputation and review history that would seem to align with your goals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those subs offer a bit of bass managment your integrated amp (Yamaha S801) doesn't provide (an 80hz high pass filter on the rca outs), but that's not the type your amp can work with as you need that feature on high level speaker outputs on the sub. Otherwise you're stuck with limited "blending" methods of integrating your sub with your speakers...

M

Mest30

Enthusiast
Not to hijack, but how does one connect two subs on a 5.1 system if they have two fronts, a center and two rears? Are you guys just not using a center?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Not to hijack, but how does one connect two subs on a 5.1 system if they have two fronts, a center and two rears? Are you guys just not using a center?
Subs don't use the amplified channels on an AVR. Multiple subs generally involve a splitter of some sort off the LFE output on the AVR. That splitter could be a Y cable or a DSP of some sort (miniDSP or Behringer DCX2496 or similar).

M

Mest30

Enthusiast
Subs don't use the amplified channels on an AVR. Multiple subs generally involve a splitter of some sort off the LFE output on the AVR. That splitter could be a Y cable or a DSP of some sort (miniDSP or Behringer DCX2496 or similar).
I'm an idiot. Thanks for the info.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Everyone is an idiot when confronted with a topic they know little about!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
In that space you would have to run at least 4 subs.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
And you would run eight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
OP , SVS, Hsu, Ascend Accustics/Rythmik all have good customer service departments that if you give them an honest assesment of how you will use the sub(s) and the size of your room... well, they will ask the right questions...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
For rock music enthusiasts it comes down to mid bass. Most of
The pinch you can feel comes from the 60-150hz range. Granted there are a few bands out there with a low tuned kick drum so something cable down to 35hz is needed.
to add to what he said, i would also recommend stereo subs so you can increase your crossover.

the kick in the chest is indeed around 110hz (but this would have to be boosted a bit, to get the same concert/club feel)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
to add to what he said, i would also recommend stereo subs so you can increase your crossover.

the kick in the chest is indeed around 110hz (but this would have to be boosted a bit, to get the same concert/club feel)
How would you implement stereo for subs?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis