Epik Empire amp failure

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Some one of my Epik Subs had the amp fail. I'm debating picking up an inuke3000 and just running both of them off of it. The original amp was 600w with a 6db boost around 25hz. Ricci noted that it ran out of headroom at the boost and was wondering if the additional 300w would be enough headroom or should I just move up to the 6000? I can pull the driver out to measure the ts parameters and can rough the box size minus the amp housing to model it, just would prefer not to since I'm lazy and hate moving it around to much.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just leave the old amp in there and add holes for connectors for the iNuke.. Probably what I will do if/when mine dies again.

I have never had mine run out of steam even though I have a huge room, but I am also in an apartment now. IMO, sensitive enough that I would not expect a ton more power would be necessary.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd presume Chad wasn't leaving a whole lot of performance on the table, so the NU3000 would probably give you pretty much everything a pair of Empires really have to offer. That said, the NU6000 isn't a lot more expensive, and if/when you decide to move on from the Empires, you'll have a fair amount of juice on tap.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just leave the old amp in there and add holes for connectors for the iNuke.. Probably what I will do if/when mine dies again.

I have never had mine run out of steam even though I have a huge room, but I am also in an apartment now. IMO, sensitive enough that I would not expect a ton more power would be necessary.
I haven't either fwiw. I'm going to install a neutrik speakon connector where the XLR in is and attach it to the internal pair as to keep it clean looking and just remove the amp guts. Thanks probably was just over thinking it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You talking about the iNuke DSP3000 so you can shape the boost? I'd think it would be sufficient....

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a local repair shop, consider taking the amp out and getting an estimate. All the discrete components are exposed inside, maybe a fairly cheap fix.
I bought an extra amp from them when they went out of business. So naturally mine will never go bad.:D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine got replaced just before they shut down. My amp had a problem from day 1 though, it would pop when it shut down so probably a bad cap, but it worked fine like that for a few years.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Mine just would stutter once signal was received, the power on would flicker green red. I considered taking to repair shop but assuming it would be at least a bill, figured I'd just get a pro amp for a little more( my little more is highly disproportionate :) ) . If my eyes were better and my hands didn't shake so much I'd try to diagnose myself, then again a few dollars vs old man frustration makes it an easy call. Thanks for the responses.

If you have a local repair shop, consider taking the amp out and getting an estimate. All the discrete components are exposed inside, maybe a fairly cheap fix.
I bought an extra amp from them when they went out of business. So naturally mine will never go bad.:D
Mine got replaced just before they shut down. My amp had a problem from day 1 though, it would pop when it shut down so probably a bad cap, but it worked fine like that for a few years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW my Empire had an amp fail while Chad was still around, he sent me a replacement amp and all has been fine now for the 4 (5?) years of daily use since (am not using the auto on fwiw). I do plan to simply use a pro amp if it fails, probably one of my Crown XLS1500s for quieter operation than a Behringer along with the unbalanced minidsp I got for it a while back.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ya I don't need the dsp portion as I have a mini dsp , just cheap amplification :D

FWIW my Empire had an amp fail while Chad was still around, he sent me a replacement amp and all has been fine now for the 4 (5?) years of daily use since (am not using the auto on fwiw). I do plan to simply use a pro amp if it fails, probably one of my Crown XLS1500s for quieter operation than a Behringer along with the unbalanced minidsp I got for it a while back.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just an update. Went with 2 crown xls 1502 , couldn't deal with the silver even in the rack. Removed the balanced and unbalanced board and and installed speakon in balanced crossover opening. Will take pics this week after rew and minidsp . With no filters applied with room gain sounds better than I thought. These drivers must be pretty efficient as its hard to get the amp moving. We will see after eq.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Still havent finished with rew and the filters. Been playing with the linkwitz transform.
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/advanced-tools/linkwitz-transform
I'm thinking I can get a bit more out of the low end, we'll see.

After I removed the balanced and unbalanced board, I installed one of these and used #6 32 1/2 inch machine screws and nut. Same size as most wall plate hardware.

I just configued the input to bridged, and did the same for the monoprice cables I ordered. Just removed the hardware and swapped the cables.

Also if anyone needs the ts parameters this thread has them.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Funky link to amazon....probably specific to your order history, but just send me your signin/password and be glad to review it :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis